Message from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain

(Locked)

6 Draenei Paladin

L = Lesbian
G = Gay
B = Bisexual
T = Transgendered

As I pointed out before, gay is NOT a slur.

I didn't say it was. It does depend on how its used though. Would you consider the word breeder a slur?
Edited by Meibatsu on 10/27/2011 5:04 PM PDT
10 Human Warlock

As I pointed out before, gay is NOT a slur.

I didn't say it was. It does depend on how its used. Would you consider the word breeder a slur?

Many people have been pointing out that calling alliance gay is bigotted and hate speech. I'm pointing out that not only do gay people not have the ability to see what the intent of the person saying the word was, the fact that they call themselves gay, yet consider it an insult is ridiculous.
58 Gnome Death Knight
Racist slurs: No. I have never found the appropriate position to use a term that, in different context, would be racist. In my given vocabulary I can't think of a single racist term that could be used in any other fashion than that originally intended (how those that would take offense to such terms would take it).

Sexual Assault: You mean like the word "@#%#"? Absolutely. The definition of the word @#%# is not limited to "sexually assaulted with opposition.". It could mean "forcefully", which in the right context would be just as useful. For instance, saying "Man, that Shaman just @#%#d me." is just me saying "I stood no chance against that guy." because of how the engagement went. We're back to the point of context.

So, it seems that the language of sexual assault and that of marginalizing and othering sexual minorities is a matter of context to you, while the language of racism is always about racism?

Have you thought about why this might be your viewpoint? Why do these differ for you?
58 Gnome Death Knight
10/27/2011 05:06 PMPosted by Mortuary
Many people have been pointing out that calling alliance gay is bigotted and hate speech. I'm pointing out that not only do gay people not have the ability to see what the intent of the person saying the word was, the fact that they call themselves gay, yet consider it an insult is ridiculous.

http://www.derailingfordummies.com/#playfair

Is that bingo yet? I think so.
6 Draenei Paladin
Good night all. see you tomorrow most likely. I'm glad that the conversation seems to be becoming civil. Hopefully the trolls will get bored and stay away.
90 Troll Druid
10/27/2011 04:12 PMPosted by Cramer
You choose to be different yet rage when people call you out on it? *facepalm.

Yes, people choose to be hated minorities. Definitely. My best friend woke up one morning and said "Hey I want to be shunned by most of my friends and have to leave the area I grew up in, I'll just become a lesbian!" No, sir. It does not in fact work that way. Life does not in fact work that way.

And I'm amazed by the number of people who are offended and feel THREATENED by our daring to ask for an actual apology. I didn't know you were all so insecure.
10 Human Warlock
10/27/2011 05:10 PMPosted by Jatton
http://www.derailingfordummies.com/#playfair

No idea why you keep spamming the thread with this link.
1 Draenei Paladin

I didn't say it was. It does depend on how its used. Would you consider the word breeder a slur?

And the word used was not gay but homosexual, without the addition of the sexual.

By any definition, a bigoted term.
10 Human Warlock
And the word used was not gay but homosexual, without the addition of the sexual.By any definition, a bigoted term.

If you read the many threads from the past few days, you'll notice that the offended were upset at the use of the words "gay alliance".

And since when is the word Homosexual a slur?
90 Troll Druid

Yes, people choose to be hated minorities. Definitely. My best friend woke up one morning and said "Hey I want to be shunned by most of my friends and have to leave the area I grew up in, I'll just become a lesbian!" No, sir. It does not in fact work that way. Life does not in fact work that way.

And I'm amazed by the number of people who are offended and feel THREATENED by our daring to ask for an actual apology. I didn't know you were all so insecure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizhenry/3184751461/

Precisely!
58 Gnome Death Knight
10/27/2011 05:15 PMPosted by Mortuary

Different link each time - note there's an anchor there at the end, pointing to the particular derailing method being used.
The one you were using there was:

"But If It's Okay For Marginalised People To Use Those Words, Why Can't I?",

which the #playfair anchor links to.
85 Tauren Paladin
Archaic terms are not in use anymore. So that leaves #4.The sad thing is you are too naive to understand the meanings of the words you choose to say. Here's a word for you to look up "Ignoramus."

Archaic means it's not in typical use, so the typical use of the "r" word would be how you'd take it, but not necessary the implied meaning.

Just because a word has an "old" meaning doesn't mean it can never be used that way ever again.

Please, if you'd like to school someone on wordplay, take some time to understand, you know, what you're talking about. =D
90 Night Elf Hunter
Okay seriously, I have to say something...

As loathe as I am to wade into this discussion....

LOSTDEMONESS....Are you serious with your criticism? You have, at this point, told EVERYONE who plays World or Warcraft that...

1) Get over it
2) It's just a game
3) they are taking this issue too seriously
4) Get mental help

So I say to you, without taking a side on the issue of the post....

YOU have now posted on this forum 39 times from 5.46am to 12.25pm saying the same thing. Rougly 6 AND A HALF HOURS of non stop posting from you about people "getting a life" and to "walk away from their computers". The Irony abounds.

And so now, in the spirit of reciprocation, to you, the player that has been on the forum for 6 and half hours non stop...

LOSTDEMONESS, my advice to you is...

1) Get over it
2) It's just a game
3) YOU are taking this issue too seriously
4) Get mental help

❤❤❤³
10 Human Warlock
10/27/2011 05:22 PMPosted by Jatton

Different link each time - note there's an anchor there at the end, pointing to the particular derailing method being used.
The one you were using there was:

"But If It's Okay For Marginalised People To Use Those Words, Why Can't I?",

which the #playfair anchor links to.

You need to take this up with the world then. You arent using a derogitory word that only the people from your group can use. It is perfectly acceptable to use the term gay when discussing the gay comunity.

If you feel discussing the topic at hand is derailing it... wow.
85 Tauren Paladin
Have you thought about why this might be your viewpoint? Why do these differ for you?

Because there are actual definitions that means completely different things than how people take them. That's the difference.

Find me a definition of a seemingly racial term that isn't slander and I might use it in it's appropriate context.
90 Dwarf Priest
10/27/2011 05:27 PMPosted by Pozadin
Archaic terms are not in use anymore. So that leaves #4.The sad thing is you are too naive to understand the meanings of the words you choose to say. Here's a word for you to look up "Ignoramus."

Archaic means it's not in typical use, so the typical use of the "r" word would be how you'd take it, but not necessary the implied meaning.

Just because a word has an "old" meaning doesn't mean it can never be used that way ever again.

Please, if you'd like to school someone on wordplay, take some time to understand, you know, what you're talking about. =D

True it doesn't mean it can never be used that way again. However you are naive if you don't think the word is offensive and objectionable because of the much more common word. Archaic words are typically only used in specialized uses.
85 Tauren Paladin
10/27/2011 05:35 PMPosted by Halldór
However you are naive if you don't think the word is offensive and objectionable because of the much more common word.

Um.. I never said it couldn't be perceived as offensive. But there's a difference between intent and what someone takes from it.

You could take offense to me calling you awesome, but did I say it in a means of being offensive? That's what we're discussing.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
10/27/2011 04:25 PMPosted by Matalan
A matter of opinio.

Of course it is, mate. And you deserve yours.

Good on ya. You've had your say.

Now if you;re satisfied step aside and let the rest of us continue.

Bye now.

Remember Freedom of speech goes both ways.. You have the right to your opinion and we have the right to counter that opinion. ;)

We don't have to agree and there is no reason to have 98 pages of the same argument, when you guys won't listen to opposing views on it.
90 Night Elf Hunter
10/27/2011 12:48 PMPosted by Cric
The language they used may have been inappropriate but it was taken out of context by many players at the convention which was not their original intent and as such apologized for it.

I'm sorry, perhaps you could explain to us in what context homophobic slurs are okay to use?

This x ∞
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]