Was Cata the first "failed" expansion?

7 Worgen Mage
During Blizzcon I noticed a lot of:

"With cata we went to far with...."

A lot of people have been talking since the expansion hit about the way questing had turned into a dumbed-down, linear faceroll where you virtually had to TRY to get killed if you wanted to die.

A lot of people talking about how heroics weren't "hard" like conquering a difficult peak on a mountain climb but were "hard" like peeling 1000 potatoes.

I think the drop off in subcriptions is a direct reflection of these mistakes.

I'm really glad that both these areas are being addressed, particularly with regard to questing going back to a less phased, less linear, more hub-based experience. Let's hope they nail the mix right this time.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
To be fair, there are opinions on all sides of the isle. I loved Cata, and would like to see a lot of it put into use again.
100 Draenei Warrior
10/26/2011 11:24 PMPosted by Bullcosby
Have you forgotten WOTLK?

wotlk honestly wasn't that bad in any regard other than people going 'ohhh heroics too easy not even 'heroics' omg'

people get caught up on the little things
I've actually enjoyed Cata. Granted, I'm as casual as they come.
90 Orc Death Knight
10/26/2011 11:26 PMPosted by Altaiea
wotlk honestly wasn't that bad in any regard other than people going 'ohhh heroics too easy not even 'heroics' omg'

Just about everything pve related outside of specific hardmodes was really easy in Wrath. Too easy for the most part.
80 Draenei Paladin
10/26/2011 11:26 PMPosted by Altaiea

people get caught up on the little things

The transition from Ulduar to ToC was a huge letdown which upset quite a lot of people, including myself.

But to the OP's question, I do not think so. People wanted more difficulty in this expansion and so far they pretty much got it... up until the nerf bats of course.
90 Night Elf Priest
10/26/2011 11:24 PMPosted by Bullcosby

You mean the expansion that made the entirety of the game accessible to a large majority of players?

Yeah... that was a failure. This Cata model of, "You are not welcome here," is so much better.
85 Undead Warrior
If you don't read the forums, this whole game is much better.

Too bad I'm sucked into this place...
85 Tauren Paladin
In my book Wotlk was a much greater fail than Cataclysm. Only reason I stuck around WorlK was because of my old guild. Nothing sucks more than playing same thing 10 times over because content was so unsatisfying.
Well don't forget Cata Was also a redesign of the entire world. (So even if you place no value there, they still had all that work to do.)

Also failure is too subjective. You could base it on math, but if you do you are calling "Fire Fly" and "Serenity" Failures... and you don't want that community to come down on you.

Cata broke sales records, and raised WoW's subscriber base higher than ever.

Also keep in mind it is not over yet.. we have another 8-18 months of Cata left.

The expansion is not just the initial release. It's all the patches we get over the next 2 years.

I have played WoW more than ever right before cata and since cata.. so for me, mathematically, and subjectively Cata is a Success.
85 Night Elf Priest
cata was their best expansion since TBC, so idk what you mean.

at least it was at the start, the nerfing kinda ruined it...

im talking pureply pve tho, pvp it was the worst expansion in history
90 Orc Death Knight
10/26/2011 11:34 PMPosted by Sochumpy
How does this jive with the idea of WOTLK being so easy?

One or two fights out of 24 being hard does not mean the rest is hard.

10/26/2011 11:34 PMPosted by Sochumpy
the LEVELLING EXPERIENCE and you're done

I'd rather level 10 more characters from 80-85 than one from 68-80.
85 Human Paladin
During Blizzcon I noticed a lot of:

"With cata we went to far with...."

A lot of people have been talking since the expansion hit about the way questing had turned into a dumbed-down, linear faceroll where you virtually had to TRY to get killed if you wanted to die.

A lot of people talking about how heroics weren't "hard" like conquering a difficult peak on a mountain climb but were "hard" like peeling 1000 potatoes.

I think the drop off in subcriptions is a direct reflection of these mistakes.

I'm really glad that both these areas are being addressed, particularly with regard to questing going back to a less phased, less linear, more hub-based experience. Let's hope they nail the mix right this time.

Blizzard has been failing for some years. In fact all they do is steal. Vanilla Wow stole from EQ. The achievement system was stolen from Warhammer. The game took a lot from LoTR. And the current Deathwing fight for 4.3 is a complete ripoff of Rift's Akyllos fight - which is most likely the best MMORPG fight ever. Need evidence just watch http://www.gamebreaker.tv/trion-rift-the-sanctum-38-rift-clone/ go to 31:00 mins in the video. In fact the upcoming WoW warfront is just Rift's Black Garden.

Can't wait to see what WoW steals from SWToR.

Yeah WoW just steals to make a game these days. The Devs just can't make anything new and the sheep keep paying them money.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]