Was Cata the first "failed" expansion?

88 Tauren Warrior
10/27/2011 08:19 AMPosted by Manofauction
Can something be concidered a failure when 10 million plus people still play it and thus pay Blizzard billions of dollars a year? No? didn't think so.

Can something that upon its release cause 1 million plus customers to become ex-customers be considered a failure even if you are still profitable after losing the revenue that goes with those customers?

Losing hundreds of millions of dollars in potential recurring revenue = failure regardless of how much money you still make. Cataclysm's subscriber losses cost Blizzard a ton of money as evidenced by most everything they have said about MoP without ever fully admitting Cataclysm was an abysmal costly screw-up.

Netflix is still profitable and yet it's stock has tanked 75% since their poorly handled attempt at a rate increase and to split the business in half. Does the fact that they still have customers make that a non-failure.

The only way losing 1 million of your most profitable customers in 6 months can be considered a success is if you reversed an even steeper decline the 6 months prior. There was no such decline prior to Cataclysm's release so by every measure losing that many customers is without doubt a failure from a financial perspective.

It's still 10 million more subscribers then the leading competitor. Regardless of the drop, which is still more then what they had at the end of Lich King. So yes, it's still a sucsess.
90 Troll Mage
This thread comes up every expansion - it probably the one thing you can count on WOW.
24 Night Elf Priest
I have heard or read Blizzard reps say they "did too much / went too far" on things in every expansion.

Cataclysm was fine. My only complaint about it was that it was too short. But that's because almost half of the content was to revamp the old world. Hey, it had to be done.
85 Gnome Priest
If you don't read the forums, this whole game is much better.

Too bad I'm sucked into this place...

This, all this
86 Dwarf Hunter
I don't think any of the expansions failed.
4 Night Elf Druid
Well personally i have enjoyed Cata much more than Wrath. Wrath was really faceroll after Ulduar. So a year and a half of trivial content doesn't want to make me keep paying.

Even Cata wasn't overly difficult. To be honest i still think it is a little to easy.

When was the last time you did a quest where there was even a remote chance of you getting killed?
90 Draenei Shaman
I'd say cata was pretty bad.

Grind 2 heroics until your eye bleed? That sounds so fun right? And the heroic difficulty was too much, to the point they had to up the buffs. Personally the difficulty wasnt the problem for me, it was the fact I had to spend more than 30min per dungeon and consider im abit of an altaholic that was getting to be too much.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Burning Crusade is just the height of this game, nothing else will even touch it

But Blizzard, do try

Not saying BC was bad: I enjoyed it. But there were really not enough people seeing end game content.
13 Troll Druid
Maybe not a completely fail expansion but definitely could have been better.

IMO, the biggest mistake they did was try to revive an obsolete model, it worked great some years ago but nowadays not. In this industry, even some years is a lot of time, while the other companies are moving to a more casual style, blizzard, instead, tried to return to the BC style with disastrous results.

Even when subscriptions dropped, they tried to maintain their philosophy, first with some rehashed dungeons, then with some dailies and finally with nerfs to firelands, but nothing worked, that's why they are returning to the wrath style in MoP.
25 Blood Elf Priest
During Blizzcon I noticed a lot of:

"With cata we went to far with...."

A lot of people have been talking since the expansion hit about the way questing had turned into a dumbed-down, linear faceroll where you virtually had to TRY to get killed if you wanted to die.

A lot of people talking about how heroics weren't "hard" like conquering a difficult peak on a mountain climb but were "hard" like peeling 1000 potatoes.

I think the drop off in subcriptions is a direct reflection of these mistakes.

I'm really glad that both these areas are being addressed, particularly with regard to questing going back to a less phased, less linear, more hub-based experience. Let's hope they nail the mix right this time.

Expansions are big things with a lot of stuff in it. Some things work, other things don't. The relative importance of the things that don't work is what determines how someone views whether an expansion was good or not.

To that extent, I thought Cataclysm was pretty good. The 1-60 do-over was great, raiding was good and my favorite class (spriest) did well. I'm not a fan of ZA/ZG and would like for Blizz to provide more stuff to do at 85 (which is being addressed at some level in MoP). But I've had fun and am looking forward to 4.3 and beyond.
25 Blood Elf Priest
If you don't read the forums, this whole game is much better.

Too bad I'm sucked into this place...

This, all this

This is so true. I've made a few posts over the years along the lines of "I never knew this was such a terrible game until I came to the forums."
90 Tauren Druid
The Lich King expansion was the best out of the 3. It was by far the best expansion in the game.

When Burning Crusade came out, I played it for a month then quit for eight months... some with RL stuff, some because the addiction died down.

Lich King brought me back.

Cata was okay at first but got repetitive.

No one should say anything bad about Lich King expansion, it was the best of the 3. It has been rated 9.0 out of 10 compared to other expansions for WOW. CATA is around a 5 and Burning Crusade is around 6.5 to 7.0. There was some survey done a while back.
Community Manager
During Blizzcon I noticed a lot of:

"With cata we went to far with...."

A lot of people have been talking since the expansion hit about the way questing had turned into a dumbed-down, linear faceroll where you virtually had to TRY to get killed if you wanted to die.

A lot of people talking about how heroics weren't "hard" like conquering a difficult peak on a mountain climb but were "hard" like peeling 1000 potatoes.

I think the drop off in subcriptions is a direct reflection of these mistakes.

I'm really glad that both these areas are being addressed, particularly with regard to questing going back to a less phased, less linear, more hub-based experience. Let's hope they nail the mix right this time.

You are mistaking the developers looking at the game with a critical eye with the claim that it was a "failure". We've seen a wide spectrum of opinions over Cataclysm and we're not afraid to look at what worked and didn't work (as we do with each expansion and game as a whole) and try to find better ways of doing things. I heard differing opinions overall during BlizzCon, but not once did I get the impression that any of those opinions boiled down to "Cataclysm sucks" as a whole. They had key elements that they disliked or thought could be improved on, but throwing the whole thing out the window as a "failure" is and should be considered a bit extreme don't you think?

As always, we want to keep learning and growing from each iteration of the game and that means that we're going to do that by continuing to look for your constructive feedback as well.
87 Human Paladin
BC was the best expansion because even though it added new content, it was still World of Warcraft.

Over the years and expansions, WoW got denatured.

MoP pushes it even further by looking like a bad April's Fools joke on every single aspect. Pandarens, dumbed down talents, Hello Kitty Islands Adventure-ish themes, a totally new "villain" nobody ever heard of nor gives a damn about.

But meh, MMOs evolve; that's how it works.
100 Human Mage
For me personally Cataclysm is terrible. I enjoyed Wrath up until about the last 2 months. By March I was already tired of Cataclysm. All that time wasted on redoing old zones that no one really cared about instead of stuff to do at 85 is probably the cause. Now I spend my time soloing old raids because I find it more fun than current content.
85 Troll Death Knight
10/26/2011 11:24 PMPosted by Bullcosby
Have you forgotten WOTLK?

In the future explaining why you feel it was a failure will help you not look like one yerself...just arbitrarily throwing out names of expansions is about as useful as throwing rocks at other larger rocks.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]