A Treatise On Bluetip Threshers

90 Orc Warrior

Blizzard, please:

Bring back massive instances like Blackrock Depths.
Bring back hours-long battlegrounds like Alterac Valley 1.0.
Bring back the thrill of danger in the world.
Bring back World PvP on the scale of Tarren Mill/Southshore.

Consider the possibility that if you want to attract players who used to subscribe to WoW, you need to offer some of the things that used to exist, but no longer do.

Take a few careful, enlightened steps backward and see what innovations you can uncover.

excellent post op, I know many long time subscribers - including myself - who share your sentiments.
85 Human Priest

Back then players were more organized and skilled, AV only took 1 hour+ after the first few month it was released.Players work together to summon the elite npcs and it gives a huge advantage when pushing especially if you summon them all at the same time

Your rose colored glasses must be the legendary ones.

Or pink eye.
90 Troll Priest
I know a way to bring back old AV! Create heroic mode AV! Heroic mode AV is the ultra lengthy one and to unlock it, you must beat the short one first. Then you have the option to play either version.
90 Orc Warrior
Ah yes, class quests. Another formerly awesome thing that we just don't have any more.

There was this one mage quest to get Polymorph: Pig where you would go around sheeping naga, and then they would explode into a whole flock of mini-sheep, and you would have to AoE them down.

Good times.

the warlock mount quest. gathering all the mats etc, then fighting your way to the bottom of dire maul and killing the horse - that ritual.. it was awesome. and it wasnt easy. that stuff just doesnt exist anymore. everything is very easy now, and it will likely stay that way.
85 Goblin Death Knight
Another fine post from Foury!

Good on ya!
85 Human Mage
I fear these sorts of posts may not be enough.

Do we know who exactly is in charge of PvP development?
90 Troll Priest
Tom Chilton, I think. At least, that's what I got from a quick google search. ;)
85 Human Mage
Then that is who we shall target with the laser cann-- I mean, uh, the letter-writing campaign!
85 Human Mage
Give me some time to whip up a nice form letter, then we can send a much more powerful message.
85 Goblin Death Knight
10/29/2011 03:04 AMPosted by Foury
Then that is who we shall target with the laser cann-- I mean, uh, the letter-writing campaign!

:<

I was warming up my LOIC. Damn you for getting my hopes up!
85 Human Mage
Maybe if we "invite" him over for a chat using an Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device...

In other news, the form letter is complete. Let me sleep on it and do a little editing.

Keep an eye out for the launch of the "Save Alterac Valley" letter-writing campaign in the near future.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503
Edited by Foury on 10/29/2011 4:23 AM PDT
85 Human Paladin
Bring back massive instances like Blackrock Depths.
Bring back hours-long battlegrounds like Alterac Valley 1.0.
Bring back the thrill of danger in the world.
Bring back World PvP on the scale of Tarren Mill/Southshore.
(1) I don't have 5 hours to complete an instance. It took me forever to clear slabs some days because it was over 3 hours with bad groups.
(2) I get bored with BGs that last longer than 20min, plus I can fit them into those little breaks that happen in between real life.
(3) I like world danger, on that I agree. In vanilla it was kinda hard for a warrior to solo more than one mob and you had to clear an area and pull stuff back to you for fear of aggroing more.
(4) World pvp on unbalanced servers isn't much fun. Faction transfers pretty much gave Horde the victory (4:1) on this server.

Structural homogenization happened with the character classes. Remember back when druid tanks stacked stam as their primary, pallies had AoE abilities and warriors complained? Homogenization also happened by using the same old quests over and over. Just throw a different wrapper on it and sell it. There was also a smaller content for endgame in cata. How many interesting dailies are there? Now, it's pretty much just MF for 4.2, and they're hard to do on more than 1 toon. The Thundermar dailies in 4.0 were at least interesting.

80 Gnome Rogue
I miss several aspects of the game that Blizzard has taken away, most notably old Alterac Valley and the incredible fun of Tarren Mill/Southshore wars. People didn't fight in those to grind honor....most honor grinders did Warsong Gulch or other BGs, and before the honor system even existed, the battle in Hillsbrad raged on for nothing more then fun. Old school AV to me remains the most fun i've ever had in an MMORPG and i played my first one in early 1999.

A lot may not agree with me on this, but I still think Molten Core and Blackwing Lair were two of the funnest raids i've ever done. They didn't present ultra gimmicky encounters like dodging the red beam while throwing blue fire at an add while you shifted into the shadow realm at the same time as dodging flying snakes. It has gotten totally out of hand, and the difficulty of those old school raids was just the raw power of the mobs. A single mistake by one player didn't wipe the entire raid as encounters are famous for today.

The bottom line to me is as Foury said, NEW IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER.
Edited by Poppins on 10/29/2011 5:58 AM PDT
85 Goblin Death Knight
With the advent of INSTANCE MAPS, I would highly advocate the return of city instances for the masses. Otherwise you're telling the WoW customer base that most of us are too dumb to follow a map. I can guarantee that AT LEAST one person per group will know how to follow a map (if not all 5). So not implementing BRD-like instances is actually INSULTING THE WOW POPULATION BY CALLING US RETARDED.

Okay.... what?

You started off with a premise, I can kind of see that, but then it sort of fell apart halfway through. All sense of logic was left abandoned crying at the door of the orphanage while the rest of your paragraph went on a carnival cruise to the nonsense planet.

Big ups to Yahtzee for that line btw.

Something about players are so retarded they can't read instance maps, and blackrock is awesome. That's all I got. I agree with it all.
Edited by Iolblood on 10/29/2011 6:53 AM PDT
90 Orc Hunter

Keep an eye out for the launch of the "Save Alterac Valley" letter-writing campaign in the near future.

Will do, old Av is prolly the only thing that would keep me here for MoP, even Gw2 WvWvW is gonna be miles ahead. :/
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm probably too oldskool for GW 2 even tho i'll try it out anyway, I've always prefer traditional gameplay.The current pvp system is just plain boring and people do them to grind gear, not to have fun
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]