A Treatise On Bluetip Threshers

90 Orc Hunter
Aye, thats the main reason Im looking so hard at GW2, Wow pvp is just plain borked. Next time you are leveling have a run at some Bgs 75-84, completely and utterly broken.

GW2 PvP isnt for gear or grind, its for fun. Theyve moved away from the skinner box and actually made a game that people will want to play for fun as opposed to being conditioned to play for shinies.

and Ill admit the idea of a constantly running 3 way war lasting 2 weeks, complete with dynamic PvE and PvP objectives featuring 100s of players may have me a little hooked :P
85 Human Mage
(1) I don't have 5 hours to complete an instance. It took me forever to clear slabs some days because it was over 3 hours with bad groups.
(2) I get bored with BGs that last longer than 20min, plus I can fit them into those little breaks that happen in between real life.

The point of the post was not to say ALL instances and battlegrounds should be long, but that MOST should be short, while ONE or TWO should be long (and in a different random queue).

Right now there is no option for those of us who do enjoy a longer instance or battleground, and all we're asking is to be able to make that choice - Not to force others to play our way.
I hear people talking about Blizzard bringing world PvP back... but how exactly are they supposed to do that? World PvP is strictly created by the player. There was no reward for attacking Tarren Mill or South Shore, players just did it because they were bored. Why don't players do it now? Because there's not enough people interested in doing it. Players have to change their goals if you want world PvP back, and that's not something Blizzard has the power to do.
85 Human Rogue
I enjoyed reading your argument. It's a nice change from the usual wall-of-text QQ posts. In addition, you understand that these things could easily made optional, allowing for those that don't want to do them (I enjoyed old BRD) to skip them.

Behind you 100% with this.
85 Worgen Warrior
The bumper is back with more bumps on both threads!
90 Gnome Mage
I like this guy.
85 Goblin Priest

The world is a smaller place now, and players don't have as much freedom to move around as they once did.

We have more variety on a micro scale (content), but less on a macro scale (the framework in which content is contained).

Blizzard, please:

Bring back massive instances like Blackrock Depths.
Bring back hours-long battlegrounds like Alterac Valley 1.0.
Bring back the thrill of danger in the world.
Bring back World PvP on the scale of Tarren Mill/Southshore.

If you think most players won't like the long version of Alterac Valley, then make it optional.
If you think most players won't like dungeons in the style of BRD, then make it optional.

BRD has been and will always be my favorite instance. The city-like nature of the instance (we have instance maps now so seriously) made me feel so immerse din the game, my enemy felt real, ever present, lurking and conniving. The layout of BRD facilitates some sort of adrenaline rush, not something that I experience too often in WoW, and not something I have ever experienced in 5-man constant since Burning Crusade.

With the advent of INSTANCE MAPS, I would highly advocate the return of city instances for the masses. Otherwise you're telling the WoW customer base that most of us are too dumb to follow a map. I can guarantee that AT LEAST one person per group will know how to follow a map (if not all 5). So not implementing BRD-like instances is actually INSULTING THE WOW POPULATION BY CALLING US RETARDED.

Remove City/Town guards to promote World PvP. Or at least make some sort of objective that a PvP raid can complete before attacking a city in order to reduce the amount of city/town guards for 1 hour.

Alterac Valley 1.0, make it at least a side option off random queue with npcs scaled appropriately for level 85 and better leashing/anti-kite mechanics. Remove all awards from the instance including honor, so there are no people there who only care of the reward. I swear you'll be surprised how many people will join this battleground and it might even inspire you to make 1 or 2 more battlegrounds like AV 1.0 with no tangible rewards. Just pure fun with a group of people there for pure fun.

AV 1.0

How about a battleground city?

You que for Stormwind city, and the entire city is like a battleground with a horde camp on the outside. Players from both factions complete objectives, like "bomb the horde artillery" or "defend siege tanks until they can knock down the main gates".

One for Stormwind, Orgrimmar, Undercity, and Ironforge.

The point of the BG isn't to KILL KILL KILL, but to advance your faction's objectives faster than the other in a "repeatable quest" style way. Like if Isle of Quel'Danas was between both factions and it reset every 6 hours.
85 Human Mage

You que for Stormwind city, and the entire city is like a battleground with a horde camp on the outside. Players from both factions complete objectives, like "bomb the horde artillery" or "defend siege tanks until they can knock down the main gates".

The point of the BG isn't to KILL KILL KILL, but to advance your faction's objectives faster than the other in a "repeatable quest" style way. Like if Isle of Quel'Danas was between both factions and it reset every 6 hours.

The problem with siege vehicles in PvP is that it stops being PvP and turns into PvW (Player versus Wall). New, epic battlegrounds would certainly be welcomed if they were done properly, but first we need to fix the issues with AV, IoC and SotA.

For AV, there is a rather lengthy list of suggestions in the link below.

As far as SotA and IoC are concerned, I don't think they were implemented well. IoC is based off of the failed "New AV" model and needs to be scrapped entirely. Likewise, SotA was taken off of the Rated BG list and should probably be completely redesigned.
85 Goblin Priest

The problem with siege vehicles in PvP is that it stops being PvP and turns into PvW (Player versus Wall). New, epic battlegrounds would certainly be welcomed if they were done properly, but first we need to fix the issues with AV, IoC and SotA.

For AV, there is a rather lengthy list of suggestions in the link below.

As far as SotA and IoC are concerned, I don't think they were implemented well. IoC is based off of the failed "New AV" model and needs to be scrapped entirely. Likewise, SotA was taken off of the Rated BG list and should probably be completely redesigned.

I like player versus wall. A battleground shouldn't just be about standing on a flag, it should be about actually destroying or taking something.

I'd like a version of AV with vehicles and resources to buy them, like a Warcraft 3 map.
1 Troll Hunter

If you think most players won't like the long version of Alterac Valley, then make it optional.
If you think most players won't like dungeons in the style of BRD, then make it optional.

Except it's more profitable to go "If you think most players won't like X, then make Y."

That said, I agree with you for the most part, but it's not like Blizzard made these philosophy changes without thinking about all of this and more. Do voice your wishes, of course, but unless millions join you the Blizzard ship is unlikely to change course now.
1 Tauren Druid
Would said letter-writing campaign be solely for PvP interests? Because I'm on board with helping, any change to stop the way things have been sliding, and if it's best to aim for one target at a time that's cool with me. But as I've said before, I think your post applies equally well to all things PvE as it does to PvP. I actually felt your post was far more on target for PvE even, since to some degree at least other players make up some of the difficulty of PvP.

Even if that difficulty in my experience is often 'I'm watching the map, and did you really ALL just leave that flag undefended?'
90 Human Warrior
What would you say to scaling instances?
It always struck me as odd that there is an ever growing pool of dungeons, yet I can only access a few of them at any given level interval.

I like some of the ideas about phasing cities for more involved world pvp. It would be interesting to see that implemented on a global scale.
Perhaps phasing in zones that allow them to be "captured" by one faction or another for a given time period.
I'm not sure this would work so well for capital cities. Some people aren't running on great systems. Having essentially 2 Orgs/SWs with potentially twice the number of toons populating each at any given time might be hell on some peoples banking experience.
I actually like the way guards work now. In order to harass the other faction you have to organize a group and put some work in. Not hop on your rogue and one shot lowbies because you're bored and have aggression issues.

Or maybe scaling mobs. Mobs remain at their leveling appropriate status until you hit max level at which point all mobs become current max level via phasing or some alternate method.
This would allow players to progress through lore content at their own pace while still holding interest. Part of me wants to go do the revamped old world quests on this toon, part of me doesn't want to spend several days one shotting my way through zones only stopping to collect bear asses.

It strikes me that there's a ton of content already in game that just sits there unused 90% of the time. Why not make it accessible and relevant to a wider range of toons and players?
85 Human Mage
Would said letter-writing campaign be solely for PvP interests? Because I'm on board with helping, any change to stop the way things have been sliding, and if it's best to aim for one target at a time that's cool with me. But as I've said before, I think your post applies equally well to all things PvE as it does to PvP.

I agree that this issue is exceptionally broad, and hate to marginalize PvE issues, but I think the campaign should focus on AV as a clear, simple goal. If the campaign is successful, it will set a precedent for future changes.
85 Troll Death Knight
Posting to say I agree completely. I played back in the beta and since release, albeit not on this account or character, and I believe that Blizzard could re-capture the magic of the game for me by bringing back what I loved while simultaneously leaving in the current content that other players also enjoy, allowing us both to enjoy ourselves.

The old Alterac Valley was my favorite battleground by far.
Edited by Aintnothang on 10/29/2011 7:38 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
If they did remake old AV, it should be 100 vs 100.
81 Undead Rogue
WTF is going on? 4 pages after 2 days? THIS IS MADNESS!!
should be capped by now imo.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
New kind of forum censorship judging by the views, I still can't figure out how it works tho
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]