A Treatise On Bluetip Threshers

90 Human Warrior
A few months ago I read an interview (I think it was with Mike Morhaime) in which he said that Blizzard is at a point where it has lost more subscribers than are currently playing.

At the very least this tells us that Blizzard knows that they've lost a lot of if not most of the people who were there for WoW's beginning.

I think they took this information and decided people left because the daunting scale of WoW was too much for them. So they began a process of streamlining everything.
This obviously netted them more subscribers as into Wrath they had more subscriptions than any mmo anywhere ever.

But I kinda think they took the streamlining too far and now it's biting them in the keester.

There are lots of people, who were new to the game in Wrath, for whom the game has naturally run its course in terms of holding their interest. They will leave in due time.
Meanwhile the streamlined game has alienated the older players and failed to live up to their initial experience of WoW. They too will leave (and have been leaving from the sound of things).
So right now it would seem they are coasting on a playerbase who are still getting their fix from the 'Skinner Box' effect. As it happens that effect wears off eventually. And then these people too will leave.

The question becomes then, does Blizzard seek to ensnare a newer, younger audience every few years? Riding on the effects of a cheap psychological trick until WoW runs out of positive word of mouth and runs out of steam?
Or does it seek to retain it's older players and rely on player support, support which garnered it's current subscription levels and longevity, to maintain itself til the game reaches its natural end?
85 Human Mage
Polenzsky, can we throw "No flying mounts" in as something to consider?

I mean, I love getting around fast and I love collecting sweet mounts, but I never see other players out in the world. And more importantly, I never get to kill other players out in the world.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Polenzsky, can we throw "No flying mounts" in as something to consider?

I mean, I love getting around fast and I love collecting sweet mounts, but I never see other players out in the world. And more importantly, I never get to kill other players out in the world.

I explained to people a few times that the problem is not with flying mounts but the lack of content which players have to work together in a zone for a reward.

Imagine a brand new faction with a brand new rep grind but the rep is only obtainable in an area where no mounts could be used (preferably underground to add to coolness and realism)

The area is filled with elite mobs and some bosses on respawn timer and reputation can only be gained by killing them in a group.This would make random people group up for a common goal and creating world pvp on pvp servers.
85 Human Mage
Seems reasonable, though that still somewhat limits WPvP to "sanctioned" areas.

I guess a part of it is the free-roaming sort of WPVP that a lot of us pine for was also a product of the "let's PvP because it's fun as @#!$" days, as compared to the "PvP? Screw that, I need fast honor so I can get better PvP gear!"
85 Blood Elf Paladin

I guess a part of it is the free-roaming sort of WPVP that a lot of us pine for was also a product of the "let's PvP because it's fun as @#!$" days, as compared to the "PvP? Screw that, I need fast honor so I can get better PvP gear!"

But that's exactly the idea, get the majority of 85s to that area so it will be a MASSIVE BRAWL instead of a few random skirmishes.Tarren MIll/SS pvp only happened back then because there was a lack of LFD tool and 40 man raids were hard to assemble so people had to spend most of their time doing nothing while waiting for groups, most of the organic world pvp happened in scourge stone farming hotspots and silithus.

I think it would make people take pvping seriously if they're fighting over REAL RESOURCES (the mobs for rep and loot) that benefits them

I also think that they should just abolish pvp gear and pvp rewards altogether, just normalize the health and damage of every class in bgs and arenas while giving players a fixed amount resilience on their character for world pvp so people actually PVP FOR FUN instead of pvping to GRIND GEAR

And I just thought of the low level world pvp experience, I think it could be solved with a cross server replica of a zone with level restrictions and player cap for both horde and alliance.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3530213047
Edited by Polenzsky on 11/3/2011 6:20 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Good posts overall.

And I agree with your points.

In MoP, the name of the game is, "Do what's fun to you and still get to progress!"

...and yet, they're removing a lot of things that are fun to people. So we don't get to do the things we love in order to progress. Further, we don't even get to do the things we love AT ALL. At least right now, you have (some) options. You may not get progression out of them, but you have the option to do them. You may not have as many options as before Cata, but you still have SOME.

Yet in MoP, it looks like we'll be progressing no matter what we do, but we won't be able to do things we like. Unless we just like playing games other than WoW (for example, pokemon), in which case you can do these NEW things (that aren't WoW) in WoW to progress in WoW.

But if you liked old WoW? Yeah, that's gone. You can't progress doing them, but more over, you cannot do them AT ALL.

-sigh-

EDIT: P.S. I also like an idea I heard that was to have the Gurubashi Arena in STV (PvA area) have a chest spawn periodically with a 20 sec "open" time. Like once a day or twice a week, whatever. When it spawns, it's an all out battle royal for a person/team to claim the goodies in the chest. You KNOW that would be awesome. A laggy bloodbath!
Edited by Arthinas on 11/3/2011 7:17 PM PDT
85 Human Mage
I also like an idea I heard that was to have the Gurubashi Arena in STV (PvA area) have a chest spawn periodically with a 20 sec "open" time. Like once a day or twice a week, whatever.

Doesn't it already do that?

85 Human Mage
11/05/2011 06:34 AMPosted by Fun
Yea, but it's not a 20 second open time.

Ahh, yes, that would do it.

Total domination of the field before you can claim the loot. Hmm... maybe they should upgrade the loot to include a unique mount or something, to get more people interested.
I can upvote the OP enough. Holy frickin crap. He's dead on. WTB challenge, diversity and non linear design, PST.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
11/03/2011 05:19 AMPosted by Foury

It's always been that way though. World PvP on any grand scale doesn't just start up randomly. It requires some location of importance to both factions. Consider the earliest hotspots: Southshore/TM and Blackrock Mountain. Ground mounts might have encouraged it somewhat, but the most important factor was that both factions has a reason to be in the same location at once.

They've had troubles duplicating it (lolsand, the EPL towers, Auchindoun's towers) but had success with others (well, Isle of Quel'Danas in particular, Halaa, if short lived, and probably Tol'Borad to a lesser degree.) So long as they avoid "sactioning" in tandem with obscenely long timers (Auchinndoun towers are on six hour timers!) or wimping out on the reward (capture four towers for a buff that only works inside an instance that can be lost by people not in the instance recapturing the towers was not their greatest try) setting up the location in advance is much better than merely making so travel always takes a long time and only encouraging small scale ganking at best.
90 Human Mage
Funny I soloed 2 Bluetip Threshers at 80. It was a fun but nasty fight. I do agree however that the game is being dumbed down too much. It was the easiest MMO when it launched and it has just gotten easier as time went on.

I used to love trying to get that chest in the middle of all those mobs, or soloing that elite that's 3 levels higher and hits like a truck. Now, all that is gone. Nerfed to the ground.
90 Human Paladin
I miss old AV, the new Av is now just taking towers and bumrushing the enemy leader or turtling your repsective leader. I want to get owned by the elite mobs guarding the flags and working to summon the elemental lords and such... That felt like it was real teamwork to win the war.

Anyways, Blizzard is a company of humans, not gods so I guess I am asking for too much when they have so much on the table they are already busy with.
90 Human Priest
10/27/2011 02:06 AMPosted by Foury
Bring back hours-long battlegrounds like Alterac Valley 1.0.
I r efuse to accept that, i want 3 day long av back, not a few hours.
85 Human Mage
11/07/2011 05:48 PMPosted by Assann
Bring back hours-long battlegrounds like Alterac Valley 1.0.
I r efuse to accept that, i want 3 day long av back, not a few hours.

The hope is that reinforcements will be removed altogether, allowing for an indefinite duration.
85 Human Mage
In an effort to unite PvP and PvE players in our quest for more complex, immersive content, I will be launching two simultaneous letter-writing campaigns - One for Alterac Valley and one for Blackrock Depths (Not that BRD needs to be changed, just that we want that style of instance available as an option).

The form letters will go up soon. I promise.

Edited by Foury on 11/7/2011 6:54 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Nyx
In an effort to unite PvP and PvE players in our quest for more complex, immersive content, I will be launching two simultaneous letter-writing campaigns - One foe Alterac Valley and one for Blackrock Depths (Not that BRD needs to be changed, just that we want that style of instance available as an option).

Woot! I love reading your posts! :D Keep em' coming, I agree 100%
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]