Theramore in flames: Horde favoritism. pt. 2

Community Manager
10/28/2011 05:43 PMPosted by Quirnheim
ZARHYM YOU EVEN HAVE A BAND FOR THE HORDE HOW IS THAT NOT FAVORITISM

What does that have to do with anything? It's a joke band writing parody songs about our game universes. Sure, Samwise, the lead singer, prefers Horde on a personal level. But he's also the Art Director for StarCraft II. He's not designing this game, though he's made plenty of epic art pieces for the Alliance. Stop muddying the waters with this jargon just to make yourself sound more convincing.
It amazes me that people really care that much about Theramore getting destroyed! You guys do not even know the story at all. I am sure Varian won't take this lying down, and will retaliate. People !@#$% about Alliance "getting Hosed" in Cataclysm...I mean REALLY? How did they get hosed? were the bosses not accessible? Did Stormwind not also get a facelift? Just because the main boss wasn't an EX Hero of the Alliance in Arthas, and Thrall finally got his chance to do something else and become bad ^-* doesn't mean the Alliance got hosed.

Theramore getting destroyed to me, makes the Horde look like bad, and you could say that their arrogance must be the result of Alliance Favoritism because they don't look like the instigators in what could be the largest War between the Horde and Alliance to date.
This entire conversation has gotten to the point where it's ridiculous. It's a war! Things are gonna burn.

And, really, you can look at this from either direction.

A) OMG! They destroyed an Alliance city! The devs hate the Alliance! How could you?!!

B) There's a war coming and the Horde struck first. That just proves that the Horde are dirty and untrustworthy. We should've seen it coming. Thank goodness the devs see the Horde the same way I do. They're good for nothin' scoundrels. History is full of countries who foolishly struck first and then paid dearly later.

In the end, I'd rather the Horde take the first shot. IMO, the Alliance aren't the Alliance unless they stick to the moral high ground.
90 Undead Warrior
Sure, Samwise, the lead singer, prefers Horde on a personal level.

OMG! You said that a developer from Blizzard prefers Horde! I am going to quote you forever to PROVE that Blizzard as a whole hates Alliance because of one person.

-_- (sarcasm of course)
Edited by Freese on 10/28/2011 5:57 PM PDT
85 Human Paladin
Guys don't poke at the Blues... It turns them into Red's
10/28/2011 05:45 PMPosted by Zarhym
Not to mention the fact that it's hard to trust the words of a Developer when I heard the same things last year with Hillsbrad. "The Alliance will strike back!" followed by the Alliance DOING NOTHING and saying "oh sorry we had to cut lots of stuff cause we ran out of time workin on horde side lol".

I'm not a developer. But if you find that quote where we said we were going to make sure the Alliance immediately struck back in Hillsbrad, then came back and said, "oh sorry we had to cut lots of stuff cause we ran out of time workin on horde side lol," I'd love to read it. You did such a good job quoting me at the beginning of your post I can only assume this paraphrasing is equally as spot on.

10/25/2011 04:43 PMPosted by Charagon
I know I did talk about this subject when Cataclysm was the fresh, hot topic. I don't remember what my exact words were, though, and would love to read them again after seeing several people bring them up in this thread.

Posted by you on 11-23-2010
One day the collective community will come together and agree never to use this excuse, realizing that Blizzard, as a development company, is interested in providing compelling gameplay and lore to those on both sides of the aisle. All will exclaim that this is only possible through the evolution of this game world! All will see that the struggle between Horde and Alliance, in the grand history of Warcraft, is tit for tat.

Tit for tat is an English saying meaning "equivalent retaliation".

I'm pretty sure I never made any specific point that an equal amount of story and retribution would be dedicated to the Alliance in Cataclysm

But you will win some and you will lose some. And the wins and losses won't be at equal intervals for both sides, aligning with the release of each patch or expansion.

90 Draenei Shaman
I almost wish they didnt release the info about Theramore yet. Considering this is probable the only piece of lore info we will have for 6+ months we probable will end up speculating, accusing etc of horde favoratism until MoP beta actually hits.

On that note I wonder when that book about Jaina will be released.
Edited by Zerde on 10/28/2011 6:00 PM PDT
100 Troll Priest
This disgust works both ways, to people that favor the alliance only.

I joined a horde that was struggling to survive persecution and basic slavery, trying to find roots in a new planet that they came to not of their own real choosing after deceit and trickery ruined their last one, and somehow come to a lasting peace.

Just as that peace seemed closer to happening, Wrathgate happened and two hotheads on both sides, garrosh and varian, ruined whatever chance that could happen. Varian, who never even factored into the first like 5 years of WoW, came in and spoiled everything, then we have this upstart who wanted to die in TBC, and now is overcompensating by going in a complete different direction.

Don't get me wrong, the story is interesting, to a point. Unless I hear I can actively defect from the horde, I'm kind of meh about the whole thing. It's not realistic for the character I've played for all these years to just blindly go along with this crap, but I'm stuck doing so simply because the game doesn't give me a choice. In this way, the game's mechanics are interfering in a big way with the story that's trying to be told. Not to mention I was really sickened by the last Warcraft book came out, with the massive attack on Ashenvale and trolls and Tauren(of all the WoW races) viciously participating in this all out war. How out of character can that be?
29 Tauren Druid
People are frustrated. I more so then some others...I've got a bad migrane right now.

Alright Zar. I'll wait and see what happens.

I just hope I'm not disappointed.
Why do I have the feeling that no matter what, you are going to be?
90 Draenei Death Knight
10/28/2011 04:59 PMPosted by Zarhym
The attack on Theramore is an event which will take place prior to the release of the new expansion to aggressively advance the war between the factions following Deathwing's death, further highlighting what Garrosh's motivations are in contrast to Varian's.

Not to be excessively bitter or nitpicky, but, uh, there are no Varian motivations. I don't want to sound too upset (and I'm gonna fail) but this is precisely the reason you're getting repeatedly sucked back into this. There is no Alliance story. We know what Garrosh wants. We have no earthly clue in-game if Varian can even move.
85 Troll Hunter
You know what would be a fair deal you stupid hordies?

- You burn theramore, shure...
- BUT we get to retake Lorderon / KILL the stupid 9 live-d Sylvanas / AND for the night elves to retake ALL of Ashenvale and AZSHARA. /Handshake.

Then you wake up and it was ALL the EMERALD DREAM ;)

CUT.PRINT.MOVING ON
85 Night Elf Hunter
There is one, and only ONE single purpose, story wise, to attack Theramore.

They are giving a reason to militarize Jaina Proudmoore, so that there will no longer be any ambivalence in the Alliance leadership about war with the Horde.

She is a peaceful person, but if the Horde breaks their own non-aggression treaty because their one-dimensional meathead leader wants to keep waging war, that will turn even the staunchest of negotiators into arms.

Which starts the conflict going into MoP. Thrall isn't Horde anymore, Jaina is no longer looking for peace, she's looking for blood.

The story moves forward.

It's honestly a nice break from Cataclysm, which was for all intents and purposes a year and a half long Thrall fanfiction. They want war? Give em war!

Just bear in mind the Blue side likes meaningful victories every once in a while too.
90 Draenei Warrior
Everything that has to be said has been said. This thread has accomplished its goal and voiced the opinions of some of the community to the community managers and, through them, the developers in question.

Zarhym, your presence in this thread at all is commendable and admirable considering how much bile is being thrown around here. Your job is, as I've said earlier, unenviable.
Edited by Kaioon on 10/28/2011 6:04 PM PDT
People are frustrated. I more so then some others...I've got a bad migrane right now.

Alright Zar. I'll wait and see what happens.

I just hope I'm not disappointed.
Why do I have the feeling that no matter what, you are going to be?

Because we already know how the story's going to end. No one's going to win. It's like watching a comedian on stage drawing out a joke for 15 minutes, and when he makes it to the punchline, everyone's just going to go "That's it? Yeah, it was kinda funny, but not 15 minute setup funny."
29 Tauren Druid
10/28/2011 06:00 PMPosted by Adversary
The attack on Theramore is an event which will take place prior to the release of the new expansion to aggressively advance the war between the factions following Deathwing's death, further highlighting what Garrosh's motivations are in contrast to Varian's.

Not to be excessively bitter or nitpicky, but, uh, there are no Varian motivations. I don't want to sound too upset (and I'm gonna fail) but this is precisely the reason you're getting repeatedly sucked back into this. There is no Alliance story. We know what Garrosh wants. We have no earthly clue in-game if Varian can even move.
If you're really that upset over an imaginary faction in an fantasy world, then maybe it's not the game.
90 Orc Death Knight
We have gone over this many times in Vanilla Alliance had way more zones than horde.
Shall I compare zones in vanilla

Darkshore, Teldrassill, Redridge, Westfall, Elywnn, Duskwood, Wetlands, Dun Mogorh, Loch Modan

Those were all pretty much exclusive Alliance questing zones

Horde had

Durotar, Barrens, Silverpine, Trisfal Glades, Mulgore

It is for that reason that the horde got hillsbrad and azshara.

Now to the topic at hand the problem Gilneas story could have been done better I will admit that after playing through it but look at it this way before Cata Horde had nothing of real value they could lose without throwing off game balance even more. Alliance held more territories and more to lose when the Cata hit. Hillsbrad for Horde is pretty much a meta joke questline. It is the equivalent of redridge for all instensive purposes.

I think people need to look back at WC1, WC2, WC3. Humans and their Allies generally have been reactionary in nature and mainly only acting after the fact. Horde (old and new) are much more on the proactive side of thing. It is just the nature of the different factions, but everytime the Alliance has had a major loss they have hit back and destroyed the other side at the end of the day even if it took them being pushed into a corner to do it.
85 Troll Hunter
It amazes me that people really care that much about Theramore getting destroyed! You guys do not even know the story at all. I am sure Varian won't take this lying down, and will retaliate. People !@#$% about Alliance "getting Hosed" in Cataclysm...I mean REALLY? How did they get hosed? were the bosses not accessible? Did Stormwind not also get a facelift? Just because the main boss wasn't an EX Hero of the Alliance in Arthas, and Thrall finally got his chance to do something else and become bad ^-* doesn't mean the Alliance got hosed.

Theramore getting destroyed to me, makes the Horde look like bad, and you could say that their arrogance must be the result of Alliance Favoritism because they don't look like the instigators in what could be the largest War between the Horde and Alliance to date.

ZOMG this ^^^^ thank you -_- I didn't vote for the attack on Theramore... people have to separate the GARROSH from the HORDE... its a story progression thats going to further the tension mounting among the Horde races... you WANT this?!? you want a leader recklacely attacking at the cost of your whole faction??
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]