Theramore in flames: Horde favoritism. pt. 2

100 Night Elf Druid
remember when Horde was all mad about Thrall leaving the horde, Garrosh becoming warchief, and Cairne dieing?

Remember how they made those things awesome later in the expack?

imagine if, instead of it being awesome, they sent you on a quest to go tell vol'jin you let Cairne get stabbed in the head, while the Alliance got a really badass cutscene of vairan getting crowned.

that's the rub folks.
Edited by Liabelle on 11/3/2011 8:08 PM PDT
90 Draenei Shaman
Maybe blizz is running out ideas. I can almost picture the plot of MoP ending up following the formula of Wc2.

Stormwind(theramore) gets destroyed. The Horde and Alliance fight each other and end up in a near stalemate. And then at the last hour when the Alliance seems to be losing a major event happens in the Horde side(Gul'dan betraying the Horde/Vol'jin killing Garrosh) which suddenly turn the tide of battle.

And then give abit of WoW twist where Vol'jin ends up making a truce with Varian and Varian being force to make a truce due to Sha.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Hey. Why does it matter? It is a game... in hindsight it really shouldn't effect the way you play your game. BESIDES, now that a few people cried about it, blizzard probably will try to "Make things even", BESIDES the fact that things are perfectly fine now, and w/e they plan on doing, in terms of favoritism.

Oh ya, and man 244 pages!?!?!?! O:
2 Tauren Warrior
Goblins reshape Azshara into a Horde symbol. Worgen get a tree in Darnassus.
Worgen lore told in Forsaken questline.
Horde victories over the Alliance end with cool cinematics.
Alliance victories over the Horde end, or are ended prematurely, with no in-game changes.
Twilight Highlands intro? Here, get into ANOTHER plane crash. (Fun fact: Blizzard made not one, but TWO quests that involve Alliance players getting blown out of the sky during a Horde battle.)

It is completely undeniable that more creative effort has been put into the Horde side of Cataclysm

This is true. And if you're like me and want to believe that the devs aren't raving morons who would intentionally tank one half of their content, I have to look back at that idea of playing World of Warcraft. A dev said that they don't play Alliance or Horde, they play World of Warcraft. Depending on how pervasive this feeling is around the office, it's conceivable that when they made the Horde lore for Cataclysm, they had made lore for the whole of the World of Warcraft.

Obviously, that's a mistake.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey. Why does it matter? It is a game... in hindsight it really shouldn't effect the way you play your game. BESIDES, now that a few people cried about it, blizzard probably will try to "Make things even", BESIDES the fact that things are perfectly fine now, and w/e they plan on doing, in terms of favoritism.

Oh yah, I KNOW RIGHT?

Reading is hard.
100 Human Paladin

But it does, if you're not enjoying a game, its affecting it.
90 Orc Warlock
remember when Horde was all mad about Thrall leaving the horde, Garrosh becoming warchief, and Cairne dieing?

Remember how they made those things awesome later in the expack?

No, not really.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Ohhh this is an argument over lore. Ahhh...

Maybe I should stay out of this, too many sensitive people over the subject are getting ancy.
14 Human Warlock
I think I can safely go on the record that the Alliance WILL retaliate for the loss of Theramore. Seriously, how could they not? Even if the Alliance leaders were taking doses of oblivious supplements, how could Blizz let it stand?

That being said, another concern comes to me. How will they handle it? Will an Alliance at war show the same ineptitude that it did while being in denial about being at war? Even if the Alliance is given its token victories, will they be victories where we worked harder than tripping over a broom handle?

So I'm not so worried whether or not they will have the Alliance start fighting. I'm worried that they'll balls it up.
100 Night Elf Druid
Here's another part that bugs me.

They KNEW they were shipping out an unfinished project. They even said they had to kill things due to time constraints like the TH cinematic for ally. if they AREN'T beholden to Activision, why the blazes did tehy chuck out an unfinished expack? was someone going to put a puppy in a wood chipper if they couldn't get cata out in the right quarter?

What's to stop them from doing it again?
90 Draenei Shaman
No, not really.

You also probable dont remember how ansty the Horde got when the Alliance got stormwind harbor in Wrath. Yup, the horde were complaining we got a harbor and all they got were two towers.

85 Human Death Knight
Here's another part that bugs me.

They KNEW they were shipping out an unfinished project. They even said they had to kill things due to time constraints like the TH cinematic for ally. if they AREN'T beholden to Activision, why the blazes did tehy chuck out an unfinished expack? was someone going to put a puppy in a wood chipper if they couldn't get cata out in the right quarter?

What's to stop them from doing it again?

From all accounts Bobby, who owns 12% of Activision, did give them the order to ship out smaller expansions.
11/03/2011 08:16 PMPosted by Nehimiah
Even if the Alliance is given its token victories, will they be victories where we worked harder than tripping over a broom handle?

But how can Alliance get even token victories? They won't change the 1-60 zones, so those will remain losses .And there's no way the Horde loving devs will let Alliance gain more zones on the new continent either.

It will most likely stay exactly as it is 1-60, and then balanced zones on Pandaria. No token Alliance victory, no real retaliation, nothing.

This won't be fixed.
85 Human Death Knight
I think I can safely go on the record that the Alliance WILL retaliate for the loss of Theramore. Seriously, how could they not? Even if the Alliance leaders were taking doses of oblivious supplements, how could Blizz let it stand?

Blizz said the same about Howling Fjord. Wrathgate. Southshore.

Still waiting.
85 Draenei Paladin
I know we have new people entering the thread, but a point which I've made before is that maybe Blizzard is going to follow through and there's going to be a counter offensive after Theramore but the timing is suspect. They've all but said that the "theme" for MOP is going to be "War is Bad." If the Alliance isn't allowed to react until it is necessary for the general MOP story then the Alliance is essentially entirely dependent on supporting that theme for any progress in its internal plot lines, and we have the exact same problem I've noted previously which is that the Alliance is not generally being given any story arcs which survive from Xpac to Xpac.

Its not necessarily losing the War in CATA that has me so annoyed, its the fact that the losses aren't causing any development in the Alliance story like the victories are on the Horde side.

If Tyrande was interacting with an Alliance player through Ashenvale like Slyvanas interacts with Horde players in Silverpine even as part of a "These are the times which try our souls" narrative then I'd be happy.

If the redone Human zones had been filled with references that old problems are resurfacing because most of the Stormwind army has been sent to hold open the supply line to Ashenvale from Theramore I'd be content. If they had Varian show up in Westfall to have a testy exchange with Gryan Stoutmantle about why Varian is sending untrained recruits (the player) out into the field in a desperate attempt to suppress the Defias insurrection where Varian acknowledges that the outlying Stormwind provinces are being forced to endure great hardship because if the Night Elves fall then the Alliance is done then I'd be happy.

But none of that happens. Instead you get sent to kill Gnolls, because they're Gnolls. Outside of Ashenvale, Stonetalon, and S. Barrens there's virtually no acknowledgement that the Alliance is even fighting a war at this point.

That's what making many of us mad. This idea that finally the faction is going to start participating in the Horde War story lines but only because its time for our scripted response now that the "Thrall, Super Shaman" Xpac is ending.
87 Human Warrior
11/03/2011 08:16 PMPosted by Nehimiah
Same way they did in Cata.

That being said, another concern comes to me. How will they handle it? Will an Alliance at war show the same ineptitude that it did while being in denial about being at war? Even if the Alliance is given its token victories, will they be victories where we worked harder than tripping over a broom handle?

So I'm not so worried whether or not they will have the Alliance start fighting. I'm worried that they'll balls it up.
One problem at a time.

That's a valid concern though. After all, the Horde are almost comically inept. They nuke the wrong target, Sylvanas gets one-shot by a Worgen hero (who the Worgen never see), Anderhol is only won by the Horde after the Alliance general abandons the fight to SAVE THE HORDE GENERAL, and Stoneard stands only because of lazy writing.

And THESE are the enemies that we're losing to.
11/03/2011 08:26 PMPosted by Charagon
And THESE are the enemies that we're losing to.

Those aren't the enemies the Alliance is losing to. Alliance is losing to the writers pulling the strings.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]