My little Pony

85 Dwarf Paladin
I do not get it...why is this show/brand/toy so popular with people who are obviously not little girls? Even guys that are well over the "boyish" years like it. What do i base it off, well my guild for one, they wont shut up about it. And i see them everywhere on forums i visit.

so please, enlighten me. I tried watching the show and i just do not for the life of me understand it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Here's a pretty good explanation of why it has so many fans:

http://blip.tv/familiar-faces/familiar-faces-58-my-little-pony-retrospective-g4-5593270
Edited by Skootalloo on 10/28/2011 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Honestly, I didn't understand it. One of my best friends (a 20-something dude) tried to get me to watch it for the longest time. Finally, I got sick of hearing him harass me about it, so I watched it. And you know what? It's actually a pretty good show. They managed to make a solid series out of a little girls toyline.

In short, it has fantastic animation, endearing characters and most of the episodes have well-written storylines.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
I'm obsessed help
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Very simple. Friendship is Magic is NOT a "little girls" show. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Anyone who says it is 1) hasn't watched it, and 2) is basing the statement on the PREVIOUS series (G1-G3) which were very much "little girls" shows.

It was originally made pretty much gender and age neutral, and they were hoping that parents would watch it with their kids. But it surpassed everyone's expectations and got a rather large adult male with no children following, because the characters and storylines were done so well. Toward the second half of the first season they gave up even pretending that children were the target audience, and there are a lot of things now that only adults would pick up on, and the storylines are getting too complex for young children.

So to this I say /brohoof.
Edited by Mogrigg on 10/30/2011 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I do not get it...why is this show/brand/toy so popular with people who are obviously not little girls? Even guys that are well over the "boyish" years like it. What do i base it off, well my guild for one, they wont shut up about it. And i see them everywhere on forums i visit.

so please, enlighten me. I tried watching the show and i just do not for the life of me understand it.

Its a great show that anyone can enjoy. There is nothing in it to turn off just about any audience.

A better question would be why wouldn't you like it? In your post i see a couple of words that suggests to me that you went into watching the show with certain biases.

For one, what is wrong with people liking it that are not little girls? Right off from the start you have labeled this show as for "Little girls only." Going in with that type of attitude you will look for things to turn you off of the show from the start. Lets assume that the producers intended the show for little girls only.

So what? What is wrong with others liking a show for little girls? I like what i like. Why wouldn't I? Do you mean that girls and boys cant like the same things? Does it being for girls mean that its inferiour and you are inferiour for liking it as a guy? How does liking it make a person less of a guy? If a girl likes pizza does that mean a guy cant like it too? Or vice versa.

Or are you hung up on the age issue? The second thing i saw that suggested that you went into the show with strong biases against it was that you mention guys past the "boyish" years? Is there something wrong with an adult finding something meant to entertain children? Or to quote C. S. Lewis author of the Chronicles of Narnia:

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

There is nothing wrong with liking this show. Similarly there is nothing wrong with not liking this show. If you like something then admit it. There is nothing wrong with that.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Never judge a book by it's cover

Important lesson, one that we always seem to forget though
Reply Quote
Season 1 Episode 9 - Bridle Gossip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kslLINriezQ#t=1227s

Moral: Never judge a book by it's cover.

I would recommend watching the whole episode though, It's one of the best.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81uLTl0y5YM

Linking this for the hell of it :P

Reply Quote
100 Troll Rogue
Here's why I watch it, and why the 8 bit version of "Winter Wrap Up" is my ringtone ^^

1) The writers are phenomenal. Everything from the stories, to the script, I think, are extremely well done. This show on it's surface is meant for little girls, but is very easily enjoyable by anypony.

2) The expressive animation. This show is done with adobe flash animation, and they took great lengths to make the animation the highest quality it could be. I love the vibrant colors, and the way characters visably react to things around them.

3) The voice actors. Holy f'ing cow. These VA's have amazing voices, and the voice director obvious knows what he wants, he doesn't just have them recite lines in one take and ship it off as a completed project.

4) The characters. When you watch the show, you actually feel like you know these ponies. They aren't just 2 dimensional characters with no back story. Anypony who gets into this show will not only know who their favorite of the Mane 6 are, but will also know who their favorite Cutie Mark Crusader is. Mine are Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo, btw.

5) The internet community, the Bronies. Ignoring the dark side of the internet, which pervades everything in accordance with rule 34, the internet community for this show has been great. There's massive amounts of participation from Bronies in creating fanfics, pictures, names for background ponies, and thought provoking dialogue. It's the internet community that makes you feel sad for characters like Spike and Celestia, who you know are going to out live the Mane 6 by thousands of years. The internet community created Derpy Hooves, a joke to most, but they've created a whole b'aww kinda thing for her too. Other community ponies of interest are DJ P0N-3, Octavia, and so many more. We love our ponies, and we love filling in the gaps to this universe that the writers left out.

6) Rainbow MF'ing Dash. RD is 20% cooler then any other pony. She can clear the sky of all it's clouds in 10 seconds flat. She is the only pony to ever perform the "Sonic Rainboom". She is the kinetic weapon pony, and she rules the internet. They don't call her Rainbow and Dash for nothing.

7)Lauren Faust, in a flash of brilliance, wanted the main protagonist for season 2 to be directly inspired by Q from Star Trek. Not only did she base this bad guy off of him, she even went so far as to get John De Lancie to voice him. Yes, that's right, Q is the bad guy for the premier of Season 2 of My Little Pony. Massive nerdgasms were had when I first found out about this.

8) The music. Ya some of the music is lame, but that's just my opinion. Plenty of people like all the music. I'm not too fond of "Art of the Dress", "Giggle at the Ghoulies", or "At The Gala", but the rest of them I like, especially "Winter Wrap Up".

9) I really like her......mane?

Don't judge the series by it's pilot, it kinda sucks IMO. It starts to pick up shortly after that, and now it's at the point where every episode of seaosn 2 has been an absolute gem. The bottom line is, this show is just great, for anypony of any age.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
It's not. People who talk about MLP as if they loved it are essentially joking about liking it.

It's like people who are obsessed with hogger. He's just a random mob, but people over inflate how """awesome""" he is because he's well known.

Actually a better example would be Chuck Norris....
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
11/01/2011 09:49 AMPosted by Imperialx
It's not. People who talk about MLP as if they loved it are essentially joking about liking it.

I'd wager that a lot of people do genuinely like the show.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
I genuinely like the show
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
BROHOOF TO THE PEGASISTERS IN THE HOUSE!

Yes, I am a girl who watches MLP. Deal with it.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Mage
Here's a pretty good explanation of why it has so many fans:

http://blip.tv/familiar-faces/familiar-faces-58-my-little-pony-retrospective-g4-5593270

Thanks, that explained it well for me.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
No need to hide behind level 1 alts :(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81uLTl0y5YM

Linking this for the hell of it :P

In this one scene, they have cemented Fluttershy in the place of "Best Effing Pony Now and Forever" for me.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Bronies have moved to World of Warcraft? ABANDON THREAD!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/02/2011 05:57 PMPosted by Jaeckis
Bronies have moved to World of Warcraft? ABANDON THREAD!

Don't be such a neigh-sayer. And you may commence worshiping the Great & Powerful Trixie at any time now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]