Save Blackrock Depths!

(Locked)

85 Human Mage
"Save Blackrock Depths" Letter-Writing Campaign

Hello, and welcome to the official "Save Blackrock Depths" letter-writing campaign. For those of you who don't know what this is all about, here it is in a nutshell:

In Classic WoW, a lot of instances were long. Blackrock Depths, for example, was an entire city! Players could choose to complete a small part of it, or do a full run to the Emperor over several hours. Such instances, while long, were rich in detail and in many cases continued to hold mysteries beyond the first few visits.

Since then, Blizzard has standardized the length of instances and players have been stripped of a vital choice: Do I run a short, fast instance to get quick loot, or do I choose to try a long, immersive dungeon that ends with a great story?

Instances were shortened because players were required to complete specific instances for gear, but now that we have the justice/valor system this is no longer the case. It is unfair to force players to run only short, "hallway" dungeons, just as it was unfair to force players to run long, "city" dungeons.

What we are asking for is that Blizzard once again includes one or two long, immersive dungeons as an option for players who are looking for an experience rather than simply a "Helm of Slightly Purpler Stats."

Below is a form letter to Tom Chilton. Please copy it into your favourite word processor, replace the [Your Name Here] with your name and signature, then print it out and mail it to:

Tom Chilton
C/O Blizzard Entertainment
P.O. Box 18979
Irvine, CA 92623

Letters speak louder than forum posts, but don't forget to voice your support for our campaign in this thread anyway, and do what you can to spread the word to other forum users, guild members and fellow dungeon aficionados.

A new expansion approaches, and the time to make our voices heard is now. Do you want a massive, complex dungeon? Do you want the choice to explore a city rather than a mere loot tube? Do you want to bring a sense of wonder and newness back to Warcraft?
85 Human Mage

Dear Tom Chilton,

I hear that in your next expansion pack, you will be creating a number of shiny new instances. While I'm sure there will be a variety of different-coloured hallways, I would like to request that you include one long, truly complex dungeon as an option for players who seek an epic experience rather than merely epic loot.

In Classic WoW, players needed to run long dungeons like Blackrock Depths to get the gear necessary for raiding. In response to this, Blizzard made short dungeons in the style of Scarlet Monastery.

This standardization of content length part of a larger trend in World of Warcraft in which an immersive gameplay experience is being sacrificed in favour of short, bite-sized scenarios designed to appeal to newer players. There are a number of us, however, who would like to see some small aspects of WoW return to a more complex, immersive style. Instances like Blackrock Depths are one such aspect.

In the present day, the justice/valor system allows players to run any instance for gear, without absolutely requiring them to complete any particular dungeon. It is now possible to create one large, city-sized instance for players who crave that experience, without making it a requirement for all players.

While I understand that most of the playerbase prefers short instances for various reasons, many other players would like the option of playing a longer 5-player dungeon, which can be completed in whole or in part at the discretion of the users. Please consider implementing this style of dungeon in the upcoming expansion. It will broaden the appeal of World of Warcraft and provide something different for both new and veteran players to enjoy.

I would like to thank you for your time and consideration, and look forward to enjoying a broader and more fulfilling dungeon experience.

Regards,

[Your Signature Here]

[Your Name Here]

85 Human Mage
For the PvP version of this letter, see:

"Save Alterac Valley Letter Writing Campaign"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3559105968
85 Troll Priest
BRD needs to die.
those 2 hour runs killed me.
seeing blackrock caverns appear shattered my hope of this mountain dieing.
Plus with all the instances they have on that frickin mountain people get lost when they are forced to walk back without mass rez.

that mountain has been around for long enough.
Let.It.Die
hmm i might actually do this
63 Undead Hunter
I do like the idea of more open dungeon design, however I was not, nor will I ever be a fan of BRD.
88 Gnome Warrior
They need to chop up BRD into 3 separate instances.
85 Troll Priest
11/07/2011 09:53 PMPosted by Scoot
They need to chop up BRD into 3 separate instances.

I doubt they will. They already put in portals for cata.
85 Human Mage
This would be optional.
85 Human Mage
11/07/2011 09:53 PMPosted by Blackrum
I do like the idea of more open dungeon design, however I was not, nor will I ever be a fan of BRD.

I'm sure Blizzard won't make an instance quite as long as BRD, but we're hoping for some kind of happy medium between BRD and "loot tube."
90 Worgen Warlock
You have my full support. If I can find some stamps, I'll definitely mail this out.
100 Human Paladin
I like the fact that Blackrock Mountain was like a city of its own with dungeons scattered throughout.

I don't always like seeing simple tunnels and portals like many dungeon entrances in the game but a cool feeling of exploring to get to the different portals and stuff. Deadmines is another good example of a cool way to get to the portal.

Good thread by the way.
Edited by Fawnix on 11/7/2011 10:29 PM PST
90 Human Paladin
BRD is one of my favorite dungeons. I love it during Vanilla and I still love it now. Thanks God they didn't do what they did to ST. I use to love ST. That place sucks now.
What we are asking for is that Blizzard once again includes one or two long, immersive dungeons as an option for players who are looking for an experience rather than simply a "Helm of Slightly Purpler Stats."
Yes, "option" is a very important word here. And i don't believe it could be considered an option if it were to be included in the random dungeon finder. If such a dungeon were to be made, i would hope that one would have to queue specifically for it, so it can truly be an option, instead of having the "option" to drop out (and get penalized for it).
85 Human Mage
Yes, "option" is a very important word here. And i don't believe it could be considered an option if it were to be included in the random dungeon finder. If such a dungeon were to be made, i would hope that one would have to queue specifically for it, so it can truly be an option, instead of having the "option" to drop out (and get penalized for it).

Everything I advocate for comes down to choice. I don't want to force anyone to do a long dungeon who doesn't want to.

But neither do I enjoy being forced to do short hallway runs, or short battleground skirmishes, or very specific, guided-tour quest chains.

So yes, obviously it should not be included in the random dungeon finder.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424907465
"A 'Brief' History of AV"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503
Edited by Foury on 11/7/2011 10:35 PM PST
68 Gnome Rogue
11/07/2011 10:12 PMPosted by Sincast
You have my full support. If I can find some stamps, I'll definitely mail this out.
BUY a stamp if you can't find it. Hell, I'll gank the naysayers and loot them for a stamp FOR you.

Also, I think it's important to note that if you support this idea, you should also send the AV letter in. Showing support for options is a great idea, and even if you're not a big PvPer, showing Blizzard that there is a hunk of the community interested in options and freedom can send a strong message.

(That said, I'm in the PvE camp more than the PvP, I probably couldn't gank my way out of a paper bag.

... Or CAN I... >:) )
85 Goblin Shaman
I'd rather do without it, honestly... At least, if something similar is reintroduced, then don't make it part of the Random Dungeon rotation.
68 Gnome Rogue
11/08/2011 08:50 AMPosted by Puffmutter
I'd rather do without it, honestly... At least, if something similar is reintroduced, then don't make it part of the Random Dungeon rotation.
I do believe that's Foury's intent. To make it totally optional. An opt-in situation.
90 Worgen Priest
Tom Chilton, I am so sorry.

Not saying I don't like BRD. I would love some longer dungeons (so long as the shorter ones aren't killed in the process). That said, sending mail to Tom Chilton seems like a waste of paper. It's not going to get anything changed, and is likely not even going to be read by Mr. Chilton.

You could do something useful, like, make this post, except without the letter writing campaign part. I would totally support that. Spamming someone's mailbox over a video game, I do not. I'll save that for writing to my lovely governor telling him how much I love his policies.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]