Save Alterac Valley!

85 Human Mage
The Official "Save Alterac Valley" Letter-Writing Campaign

Hello, and welcome to the official "Save Alterac Valley" letter-writing campaign. For those of you who don't know what this is all about, here it is in a nutshell:

Alterac Valley has been heavily modified over the years, but these changes have been band-aid fixes designed to solve specific problems, such as players not being able to acquire Marks of Honor in a consistent, timely manner. Such problems are no longer applicable, yet the changes to AV have not been unmade.

It is time to rip off those bandages and restore AV to its full former glory, albeit with some modern innovations. First and foremost, it needs to be recognized as a unique battleground that cannot and should not be lumped together with the other "30-minute" battlegrounds.

Below is a form letter to Tom Chilton. Please copy it into your favourite word processor, replace the [Your Name Here] with your name and signature, then print it out and mail it to:

Tom Chilton
C/O Blizzard Entertainment
P.O. Box 18979
Irvine, CA 92623

Letters speak louder than forum posts, but don't forget to voice your support for our campaign in this thread anyway, and do what you can to spread the word to other forum users, guild members and fellow battleground aficionados.

A new expansion approaches, and the time to make our voices heard is now. Do you want a glorious, challenging battleground? Do you want the option to play a short or a long battle? Do you want to being PvP back to Alterac Valley?
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage

Dear Tom Chilton,

I hear that in your next expansion pack, you will be creating several shiny new battlegrounds. While the additional PvP content is appreciated, I would like to request that you look into improving one of our already existing battlegrounds — Alterac Valley.

This instance has experienced many changes over the last six years in response to a variety of issues. For example, when players could not consistently acquire Alterac Valley Marks of Honor in a timely manner, reinforcements were introduced to drastically shorten the length of the battle.

Doing this, however, has resulted in what I'm sure are several unintended side effects:

1. Players no longer have time to complete the variety of quests found in Alterac Valley. Because of this, many of the alternative strategies by which one may win Alterac Valley have fallen by the wayside in favour of the "run straight to the enemy's General" strategy.

2. Without elite NPC's, players now ride freely past members of the opposing faction in a desperate race to their General. In a disturbingly high number of cases, players will choose not to engage in player-versus-player combat because it is not efficient.

When battlegrounds were first introduced, there were two options: Warsong Gulch and Alterac Valley. Warsong Gulch was a very simple battleground, designed to be winnable in a relatively short time frame. Alterac Valley, on the other hand, was designed to be a large, complex battleground that lasted much longer.

This setup was excellent at first, because it afforded players the choice to play either a short battleground, or a long one. Once Marks of Honor were introduced, however, players serious about PvP became required to play Alterac Valley, and so it was shortened.

Now that Marks of Honor have been removed from the game and there are seven (soon to be more) other short battlegrounds to choose from, I believe the time has come to re-evaluate the necessity of making all battlegrounds last 30 minutes or less. Players who enjoy PvE content may choose to do short dungeons and heroics, or commit to longer, more complex raids. Players who enjoy PvP content must choose between short battlegrounds or even shorter arena matches, and cannot experience a massive PvP instance on the same scale as a raiding player.

This standardization of content length part of a larger trend in World of Warcraft in which an immersive gameplay experience is being sacrificed in favour of short, bite-sized scenarios designed to appeal to newer players. There are a number of us, however, who would like to see some small aspects of WoW return to a more complex, immersive style. Alterac Valley is one such aspect.

While I understand that most of the playerbase prefers short battlegrounds for various reasons, many players would like one longer battle, to the tune of 2-3 hours, similar to a raid. Since Alterac Valley was designed to be longer, and since it works poorly under the "short battleground" model, I would like to request the following changes to Alterac Valley:

1. Remove or drastically increase the reinforcement cap (2000+).
2. Remove Alterac Valley from the random battleground queue.
3. Return most of the NPC's to Alterac Valley, such as Lieutenants and elite bunker guards.
4. Buff NPC's so that they are challenging to defeat, even as gear improves with new patches.
5. Update Alterac Valley with modern improvements such as a tabard teleport for defenders (instead of an awkward, outdated trinket) and more streamlined quest turn-ins.

One of the unique things about PvP content such as battlegrounds is that they are eternal. Dungeons and raids may come and go, but Alterac Valley will always be relevant content at level cap. Please ensure that such an important instance receives the appropriate attention.

We are not simply asking you to roll back the clock. We are asking you to restore the spirit of Alterac Valley, along with modern innovations. Many players desire a longer, more complex PvP experience, and since Alterac Valley was originally designed to provide that, it is the best candidate for such an overhaul.

For a more thorough discussion on this matter, and a full list of suggested changes to Alterac Valley, take a look at "A Brief History of Alterac Valley" found at <http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2952885503>

I would like to thank you for your time and consideration, and look forward to seeing a glorious and revitalized Alterac Valley experience.

Regards,

[Your Signature Here]

[Your Name Here]

Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
For the PvE version of this letter, see:

"Save Blackrock Depths Letter Writing Campaign"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3558816068
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I had AV as my random battleground other day. I won AV in 20mins killing 0 enemies in the process. I hated it. Alliance and Horde raced to see who was faster on the timers.

The old AV was amazing, amazing fights, one particular AV i was lasted 17 hours, i started it ,quit after 5 hours went to sleep, next morning was still on. Eventually we lost that one but it was amazing. I want the old AV back.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
11/07/2011 10:59 PMPosted by Duskwhisper
one particular AV i was lasted 17 hours

This isn't a good thing. Trust me on this.

You may be thinking it was a good thing back in the day, but why would one want to waste so much time on a stalemate?

Also, some of us have to go to work, you know. And my boss would probably be unhappy if I go to BGs during office hours.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Occupy Snowfall Graveyard.
Reply Quote
21 Troll Rogue
AV weekend is the last fun thing that keeps me coming back. Please don't take that away.

Reply Quote
11/07/2011 11:06 PMPosted by Lunarelia
Occupy Snowfall Graveyard.

This made me chuckle.
Reply Quote
I'm so for the changes to AV but sadly I haven't seen a blue response to any of these posts in, well, ever.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
11/07/2011 11:07 PMPosted by Dillbert
AV weekend is the last fun thing that keeps me coming back. Please don't take that away.

Blizzard can make a "Classic" version and a "Modern" version. It's not like this has never been suggested before.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
11/07/2011 11:13 PMPosted by Rais
I'm so for the changes to AV but sadly I haven't seen a blue response to any of these posts in, well, ever.

They're quite good at ignoring forum requests for Classic AV.

That's why we're writing letters instead.

Seriously, it takes all of five minutes to send snail mail - It's already been written for you.
Reply Quote
21 Troll Rogue
To be honest if they would just change the 375 jp = 250 honor thing. to 250JP=250honor
I'd be ok with old AV.

Most people go there for quick honor like myself.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
I had AV as my random battleground other day. I won AV in 20mins killing 0 enemies in the process. I hated it. Alliance and Horde raced to see who was faster on the timers.

The old AV was amazing, amazing fights, one particular AV i was lasted 17 hours, i started it ,quit after 5 hours went to sleep, next morning was still on. Eventually we lost that one but it was amazing. I want the old AV back.

Do you know the real reason why AV used to take 17 hours? Because no one knew what to do! Back when I was on Blackhand during vanilla farming for my TUF, me and my guildies used to run 15 minute AV games. It was possible to rush back then too, not all games took 17 hours.

The AV we have now is effectively the same thing, but with weaker NPCs and a resource system that forces people to play rather than turtle.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

The AV we have now is effectively the same thing, but with weaker NPCs and a resource system that forces people to play rather than turtle.

Play?, how the hell is running the opposing base, and afking till the towers drop, ending the game with less than a total of 10 kills, FOR A 40v40 BG. playing?

And as for all the people saying' but I dont want to play 17 hour AVs.

THEN DONT. You do not HAVE to.

IF you HAVE to you need some serious mental help.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
11/07/2011 10:59 PMPosted by Duskwhisper
one particular AV i was lasted 17 hours

This isn't a good thing. Trust me on this.

You may be thinking it was a good thing back in the day, but why would one want to waste so much time on a stalemate?

Becasue it was fun, this is a GAME, games are about wasting time on fun. Not farmrng for te epik lootz.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
This is calling for an "Elite" AV- the classic thing, OFF The Random BG list.

It'd (have to) boast higher rewards (or no one would play it) at a greater risk: Perhaps rewarding Conquest on Victory-- but it CAN last for UP TO 168 HOURS to complete.

Deserter would have to be specific to it: Get Deserter from leaving Classic/Elite/Heroic Alterac Valley-- won't lock you out from other Random BGs-- because that game will be LONG so people dropping won't be all to uncommon of an occurance.

I support fully.
Edited by Preseá on 11/8/2011 2:32 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]