mass layoffs at blizz

(Locked)

90 Undead Priest
http://daeity.blogspot.com/2011/11/more-titan-troubles.html

A bunch of designers from many departments are getting laid off today, i wonder if that means the Q3 conference call later today isn't going to be rosy. See, if you guys had listened to me instead of trivializing the leveling experience, talent trees, homogenizing classes, and for the most part dumbing down all the depth this game used to have, you wouldn't be in this mess.

WoW now appeals to a completely opposite audience, one who favors immediate gratification over character development and immersion, entitlement over competitiveness, doesn't bother reading quest text, and normally wouldn't even like MMOs or RPGs. Many of those who praise the new linear and much simplified 1-85 leveling experience are people who hate leveling to begin with! Gameplay that used to require a modicum of thought (hmm which enemy should I pull without pulling all of them at onc... oh damn just got aggro from behind!) has been abandoned in favor of one-shotable quest mobs and zones you will outlevel before you're even half finished. Anyone with half a brain can tell you this is not the way to retain your former players.
Edited by Dreary on 11/8/2011 6:55 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh snap, they're clearing house! This can't be good news.
89 Draenei Shaman
I read on massively they fired John Staats. But that would just be retarded. But add this and I guess there's something bad going on.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/07/rumor-senior-titan-designer-laid-off-by-blizzard

Then again everything is just rumors eh?
90 Troll Hunter
A blog I've never heard of claims layoffs. Sorry if I don't believe it.
85 Gnome Warrior
Most old school players are still going to play so even if it doesn't appeal to them, they keep playing anyway because they still find some factors fun. Yes, they want to get another crowd playing the game but they're a company. No company wants just one type of person purchasing their product(s).

As for the low level zones, they made it faster to level through because people are impatient and want to get to end-game content more quickly. Most players probably hate to level.
90 Night Elf Hunter
The larger a company gets, the more people work there.

The more people that work there, the more of them may someday get let go.

What in the world does laying off people on Titan, or Diablo 3, have to do with World of Warcraft?

Learn what "separate projects" means.
85 Night Elf Druid
Never heard of this blog before, and all it keeps saying is how they changed their facebook status -.- big deal, anyone can say anything on facebook
85 Blood Elf Priest
But....I don't think the Titan team works on WoW, which makes your entire argument invalid.
85 Blood Elf Paladin

What in the world does laying off people on Titan, or Diablo 3, have to do with World of Warcraft?

It can't be coincidence that they got handed their pink slips on the day of, or the day before, the Q3 numbers come out...
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Crap what the hell!? This is really bad news but they had it comming making the game easy is never the best way to go. To be honest it should be much harder then it is now. SO WHAT casuals will complain but oh well you are having people leave because the game isnt immersing enough isnt challenging enough. To be honest I was LOVING the new dungeons at the start of cata it felt like it was going back to vanilla times but then it got hit with the BLOODY nerfbat. I still enjoy it but I remember when it used to take months to level a toon to max level not 1 week
90 Undead Priest

Because Titan & Diablo3 aren't out yet and aren't making Blizz any money.
WoW is Blizzard's main cash inflow, and it's due to changes in WoW that resulted in decreased cash flow which in turn results in layoffs on other projects.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
The only reason I would think they would be, is because of the economy really :(
85 Gnome Mage
Doing some research I found one of the employees mentioned listed their employed dates from Jan 00 to Jan 01. So I'm not sure how current those articles are.
90 Night Elf Druid
Pretty much this.

Im sad anyone loses their job... but Blizz is an American company, and in typical American style, they will fire and !@#$ on 700 ppl so their top executives make 201k a year instead of 200k a year.
No! Bad dog! BAD! We don't use poor logic and hasty generalization! /swat with newspaper.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]