mass layoffs at blizz

(Locked)

90 Troll Rogue
from what the blog said, most were on D3, and since D3 is almost finished, if not totally finished, they really dont' need those design positions anymore.

and 'Pandas' will most likely have a lot of additional stuff attached to it. as ppl have been saying, the pokemon stuff will lend itself to an expac for the card game, maybe an app on your phone to play with your friends, maybe an activision game, and who knows what else.

didnt' see much about wow designers in there though.

85 Orc Death Knight
I some what agree with the Original poster. Having played since Vanilla wow, I have seen the shift in this game go exactly as described. However, the content is there. Blizzard just gave us the choice to enjoy it or not. I think the reduction in exp to get from 1-80 is probably too steep. But, as much as you or I enjoy questing and and traveling the map and seeing the world, there are a lot of people that don't. Be it because the don't have time or have leveled 5+ alts to 85 and simply don't care to repeat all the quests.

I may not agree with all the changes that Blizzard has made over the years to try and please everyone. But, the content is there. They gutted the old quests and gave us a ton of fresh new content with this last patch. If we choose to roll a new toon and load it up with Heirlooms and grind randoms 1-85 that is our choice. They are not stopping us from quest leveling in the zones or going with a group to the instances.

The biggest problem is people are a lot like water, in that we almost always will choose the path of least resistance to get where we want to go. Call it lazy or survival, it is what it is.

There have been countless games that have come, and more importantly, gone. That modeled there experience after the hampster wheel. Blizzard at least gives you the choice to grind or not to grind (for the most part).

In the end, I think you can get out of the game what you want. The layoffs may have more to do with the fact that Cata added so much new content that they had to hire a lot of people to get it done and now the need for that much staff no longer exists.

This new expansion looks like they are basically going to be doing 50% of the work for a 100% of the money. (One new race going Horde or Alliance at level 10) If they are only doing 50% of the work why would they need 100% of the staff?
100 Human Priest
11/08/2011 09:05 AMPosted by Wightboy
This new expansion looks like they are basically going to be doing 50% of the work for a 100% of the money. (One new race going Horde or Alliance at level 10) If they are only doing 50% of the work why would they need 100% of the staff?

You're looking at it wrong. They're adding a new race AND class. They've never done that together in any of the three previous expansion. You're not necessarily getting less, you're just getting different.
85 Troll Warrior
11/08/2011 06:59 AMPosted by Kittyboo
Crap what the hell!? This is really bad news but they had it comming making the game easy is never the best way to go. To be honest it should be much harder then it is now. SO WHAT casuals will complain but oh well you are having people leave because the game isnt immersing enough isnt challenging enough. To be honest I was LOVING the new dungeons at the start of cata it felt like it was going back to vanilla times but then it got hit with the BLOODY nerfbat. I still enjoy it but I remember when it used to take months to level a toon to max level not 1 week
Most of the people who left.. they left because when Cata came out they said " It was to hard " hence them nerfing the hell out of all the raids from Cata content.. i dont give a crap what they posted on here because of why they left or were leaving.. i have seen ppl !@#$% and moan about it in trade chat and in guild chat.. but nobody is going to post.. I Quit Because It Is To Hard.. i am a casual player and loving it.. i am going after my loremaster achieve.. i love the content.. i do agree it should take longer to lvl.. but that depends on the person doing the lvl'n.. when it comes to lvl'n i am a machine.. i normally have like 4 or 5 on the go.. get bored of 1 i switch to another and rotate between em

85 Worgen Rogue
11/08/2011 06:54 AMPosted by Dreary
doesn't bother reading quest text

But there are so... many... quests!
90 Gnome Warlock
I counter you with:
http://www.fnno.com/story/market-movers/331-activision-blizzard-makes-move-29-market-movers

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11302650/1/activision-blizzard-reaches-new-52-week-high-atvi.html

Their stocks are looking good.

Internal issues are just that internal, they would tell you if they wanted you know know but seeing as you are an end user on a video game, they do not feel compelled to call you and inform you of their executive decisions on their business.

72 Dwarf Paladin

wow devs aren't JUST wow devs

they bounce around a LOT. the guy who designed BRD was also designing things in titan

they move them around all the time based on needs

you really need to educate yourself, go to digital castration's blog and read or stop speaking about what you have no knowledge of. he documents this type of stuff regularly and has for about 2 years. maybe 3.

You haven't the first clue on how the corporate environment operates, and this dog and pony blog isn't providing you a suitable substitute. If he's a Titan designer, that's his primary function. Sitting in on a meeting and giving advice is not bouncing around; it's called being a team player.

The guy who made an instance 7 years ago for a game that is now "failing" gets fired, and somehow that's proof-positive that said game is actually failing. Somehow he, along with these Diablo 3 concept artists, were more to blame for WoW's performance than say, oh, the World of Warcraft Lead Systems Designer, who is still quite employed. What a jump in logic that is. The last time I saw leaping like that Sam Beckett awoke to find himself trapped in the past, striving to put right what once went wrong.
90 Undead Priest
11/08/2011 09:22 AMPosted by Agemnon
doesn't bother reading quest text

But there are so... many... quests!

Ya but without the story you're just hitting buttons and killing ones and zeroes for no reason. Story brings immersion and context. Besides reading isn't hard stop bellyaching!

Some of the objects in-game have text when you hover over them, and I came across some item once that said "Does anybody actually read this crap?" I just wanna say that I do!!
100 Human Priest
I counter you with:
http://www.fnno.com/story/market-movers/331-activision-blizzard-makes-move-29-market-movers

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11302650/1/activision-blizzard-reaches-new-52-week-high-atvi.html

Their stocks are looking good.

Internal issues are just that internal, they would tell you if they wanted you know know but seeing as you are an end user on a video game, they do not feel compelled to call you and inform you of their executive decisions on their business.

That news was from yesterday and concerns share values. The quarterly revenue report comes out today. If the news is bad enough, those values could go down in a matter of hours. You don't expect the execs to go into that meeting with bad news and not have anything prepared to mitigate it.
The larger a company gets, the more people work there.

The more people that work there, the more of them may someday get let go.

What in the world does laying off people on Titan, or Diablo 3, have to do with World of Warcraft?

Learn what "separate projects" means.

It can't be coincidence that they got handed their pink slips on the day of, or the day before, the Q3 numbers come out...

I work for a major multinational corporation that just posted a record profit quarter for my division. However my division also just cut positions before announcing said profit gain. It's not always about your performance this quarter. It is about what kind of operational reductions you need to make to increase your profit forecast for next quarter.
37 Gnome Warlock

I already addressed this in an earlier post but I forget what page. But as you should know the economic issues have been going on a long time, there was an economic meltdown in 08 when the housing market collapsed, and do you know where Blizzard's sub numbers went during that time... up.

One of the reasons for this is because $15 a month for entertainment is cheaper than going out, its basically the cost of going to the movies. The past indicates that WoW has done well during hard economic times, so when all of a sudden Cataclysm releases and people leave in droves, it's kinda hard for me to take you seriously when you blame it on the economy which has been bad for the past 3 years.

It's also difficult for me to take YOU and everyone else seriously when you want to quote when things STARTED. Yes, the downturn begins but people do NOT feel the pinch right away. It's trickle-down at its best. Years later, it's no longer pinching dimes, they pinch pennies.... hence the residual effects (lost subscriptions) occur when the downturn has LINGERED. You said it yourself... entertainment is on the last list; it's just that many began hitting that last list at that time; NOT when it first began as people expected rebound in short time.
24 Worgen Priest
Not seeing any blue posts here. All rumor. Back to gaming!
1 Tauren Hunter
The larger a company gets, the more people work there.

The more people that work there, the more of them may someday get let go.

What in the world does laying off people on Titan, or Diablo 3, have to do with World of Warcraft?

Learn what "separate projects" means.

Because Titan & Diablo3 aren't out yet and aren't making Blizz any money.
WoW is Blizzard's main cash inflow, and it's due to changes in WoW that resulted in decreased cash flow which in turn results in layoffs on other projects.

For all intents and purposes D is finished, just needs some tweaking and QA testing. DOn't need a full staff of developers and creators to fix.
Maybe Titan is not headed in the right direction and they decided to let some people go and reconfigure the project. Sure revenue loss from WoW can effect things, but there may be more to the story.
85 Blood Elf Paladin

It can't be coincidence that they got handed their pink slips on the day of, or the day before, the Q3 numbers come out...

I work for a major multinational corporation that just posted a record profit quarter for my division. However my division also just cut positions before announcing said profit gain. It's not always about your performance this quarter. It is about what kind of operational reductions you need to make to increase your profit forecast for next quarter.

And if they're having to cut personnel in order to give that short-term glowy outlook on profit forecast...That doesn't speak well for them. It says that, until that point, they were headed in a direction that wasn't making a good deal of profit in the long term.

Regardless, we'll find out in a few short hours just what the news is.

I suspect it's not good, however. I don't believe in coincidence.
85 Blood Elf Paladin

I already addressed this in an earlier post but I forget what page. But as you should know the economic issues have been going on a long time, there was an economic meltdown in 08 when the housing market collapsed, and do you know where Blizzard's sub numbers went during that time... up.

One of the reasons for this is because $15 a month for entertainment is cheaper than going out, its basically the cost of going to the movies. The past indicates that WoW has done well during hard economic times, so when all of a sudden Cataclysm releases and people leave in droves, it's kinda hard for me to take you seriously when you blame it on the economy which has been bad for the past 3 years.

It's also difficult for me to take YOU and everyone else seriously when you want to quote when things STARTED. Yes, the downturn begins but people do NOT feel the pinch right away. It's trickle-down at its best. Years later, it's no longer pinching dimes, they pinch pennies.... hence the residual effects (lost subscriptions) occur when the downturn has LINGERED. You said it yourself... entertainment is on the last list; it's just that many began hitting that last list at that time; NOT when it first began as people expected rebound in short time.

And you're saying that people just 'started feeling the pinch' right when Cata launched? You're saying that you believe that it's only coincidence that Cata's arrival happened at the worst possible moment, when 900k subscribers all decided within that six months, that they can't afford WoW anymore?

You think 'that' assumption is more reasonable and believable than....Cata was a bad expansion and people dropped it?
85 Undead Hunter
Vanilla was raid or die and WoW kept growing.
85 Night Elf Druid
@OP bad troll is bad troll
90 Gnome Warlock
That news was from yesterday and concerns share values. The quarterly revenue report comes out today. If the news is bad enough, those values could go down in a matter of hours. You don't expect the execs to go into that meeting with bad news and not have anything prepared to mitigate it.

The stocks are from today and the news of layoffs from yesterday. I am sure the executives know how to keep their stocks going. I am sure they will know how to smooth over any design/tech issues they may be facing and change directions.

Activision/Blizzard has been playing this game for a long time.
1 Tauren Hunter
Pretty much this.

Im sad anyone loses their job... but Blizz is an American company, and in typical American style, they will fire and !@#$ on 700 ppl so their top executives make 201k a year instead of 200k a year.
No! Bad dog! BAD! We don't use poor logic and hasty generalization! /swat with newspaper.

Not sure if that is sarcasm or not, but I work for a company that makes $1 billion in profit yearly and this year they decided to let the top 75, in terms of salary, go because the company was 1 million dollars behind pacing. they seriously dropped almost 4 million in salary because of a 0.1% drop in the budget.
90 Undead Priest

They had enough money to buy Cataclysm didn't they? That was what like $60 at least? So you're telling me they bought Cataclysm, then all of a sudden they started feeling the effects of the economic downturn that's been going on since 08, and were subsequently forced to quit...

How come none of them quit last year before buying Cataclysm? Oh right because it takes 3 years for them all to feel the effects of a bad economy. Ok there.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]