mass layoffs at blizz

(Locked)

Pretty much this.

Im sad anyone loses their job... but Blizz is an American company, and in typical American style, they will fire and !@#$ on 700 ppl so their top executives make 201k a year instead of 200k a year.
So true. Even if they decided not to go through with Titan, couldn't they just reassign those people to Mists or something? It's a bad time to get laid off with Obama in office.
85 Troll Warrior
Read the posted threads... I see nothing but rumors which appear to have been entirely based off of Facebook status.... seriously guys, even if it IS true... it's based on Facebook status changes and not any announcements made by blizzard or the "laid-off" employees themselves, take it with a grain of salt.
89 Draenei Shaman
The larger a company gets, the more people work there.

The more people that work there, the more of them may someday get let go.

What in the world does laying off people on Titan, or Diablo 3, have to do with World of Warcraft?

Learn what "separate projects" means.

Because John Staats designed tons of stuff in WoW and is a 10 year blizz veteran. Because Titan was hailed as that mysterious next gen MMO. Because Blizz values their talented employees in such extreme measures that makes this event very out of the ordinary.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Yeah but one of the lead devs for WoW got laid off it was confirmed -_- :(

11/08/2011 07:05 AMPosted by Googlywoogly
Read the posted threads... I see nothing but rumors which appear to have been entirely based off of Facebook status.... seriously guys, even if it IS true... it's based on Facebook status changes and not any announcements made by blizzard or the "laid-off" employees themselves, take it with a grain of salt.
90 Human Paladin
The larger a company gets, the more people work there.

The more people that work there, the more of them may someday get let go.

What in the world does laying off people on Titan, or Diablo 3, have to do with World of Warcraft?

Learn what "separate projects" means.

Because Titan & Diablo3 aren't out yet and aren't making Blizz any money.
WoW is Blizzard's main cash inflow, and it's due to changes in WoW that resulted in decreased cash flow which in turn results in layoffs on other projects.

So, like any smart business, they decide to lay off the people not responsible for the loss of money. Genius. I'm glad you pointed that out; I never would've thought of it.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/08/2011 06:59 AMPosted by Kittyboo
Crap what the hell!? This is really bad news but they had it comming making the game easy is never the best way to go. To be honest it should be much harder then it is now. SO WHAT casuals will complain but oh well you are having people leave because the game isnt immersing enough isnt challenging enough. To be honest I was LOVING the new dungeons at the start of cata it felt like it was going back to vanilla times but then it got hit with the BLOODY nerfbat. I still enjoy it but I remember when it used to take months to level a toon to max level not 1 week

Sorry, kiddo, but it was the 'increased' difficulty that changed LK into Cata. And why they lost 900k subs in the first six months. It was the difficulty that chased most of the part-time players away.

Oh, but I can't know that, right? Yeah, except they're going 'back' to LK difficulty and they wouldn't be doing that if the current difficulty level was a hit with the player base.

I know this is hard to grasp, but stick with me. Most Players Don't Want To Be Frustrated By A Game. They want to face-roll with a 'bit' of difficulty. Just enough to feel accomplished.

In short, people want to WIN. And in Cata, all too often, people didn't WIN at all. Certainly not compared to LK content.

Which is why MOP is going back to LK difficulty. Which is why they nerfed the everloving 'crap' out of FL out of nowhere.

They're frantically tuning difficulty down in order to try and lure players back, and the would-be Hardcore players are howling with anger.

I say 'would-be' Hardcore, because the true Hardcore don't care what anyone else is doing, or wearing.
1 Orc Shaman
11/08/2011 07:00 AMPosted by Ravenhawke
Fear mongering, plain and simple

^^^
12 Draenei Mage
Sucks that some guys (assuming it's true) lost their jobs. But corporations do this all the time. Sometimes they "eliminate positions", open a new position doing the same thing with a different title, and hire in someone else for less $$. Sometimes it's to get rid of higher paid employees (often long termers) to save a few bucks to stuff in the CEO's pockets. Sometimes people are jerks or lazy in the workplace and need to be let go. Sometimes someone has a different view from a higher up and is let go. Blizzard/Activision is a corporation, who is out to make profit, not friends. Who knows what they are up to but I can't say I'm surprised at all.
85 Human Rogue
seems like it's limited to Titan... perhaps the project is just hitting hurdles and needs some fresh blood.
90 Troll Priest
I hate the questing right now because it really is linear but I don't mind leveling quickly, once I out level the zone I have a choice of actually getting to leave or just stick around and getting some xp and a little extra silver or whatever.

But I feel if I want to leave an area to go check out another level appropriate area I should be able to without penalization like being phased out like Silverpine forest, past that forward camp its all phased out.
1 Tauren Hunter
See, if you guys had listened to me instead of trivializing the leveling experience, talent trees, homogenizing classes, and for the most part dumbing down all the depth this game used to have, you wouldn't be in this mess.

Lists random things that have nothing to do with money or why a company would fire employees.

I don't put my vote in that blizzard should listen to you seeing as they are making millions of dollars and going through no struggles as a company at all in an economy that other company's are being shut down.

If these are even current happenings then i would guess that they downsized a department that didn't require as many employees as they had to accomplish what they do daily.
85 Blood Elf Paladin

WoW is Blizzard's main cash inflow, and it's due to changes in WoW that resulted in decreased cash flow which in turn results in layoffs on other projects.

So, like any smart business, they decide to lay off the people not responsible for the loss of money. Genius. I'm glad you pointed that out; I never would've thought of it.

In business, especially in business, you'll find that the guilty are often exalted and the innocent purged in the name of profits.

Yes, even in business, people play favorites and anyone who's seen someone get raise after raise for simply 'showing up' can attest to this.

90 Undead Priest

it was probably the people who cost them the most (i.e. had high salaries). but obviously everything is just rumination.
85 Troll Warrior
Yeah but one of the lead devs for WoW got laid off it was confirmed -_- :(

I saw/see no confirmations of ANY WoW lead devs being "laid-off" in any of the information listed in this thread. Also all of these lay-offs related directly to the Titan project, not WoW... one of the Devs did help design a lot of WoW content.. but was moved to the Titan project... and again, it has yet to be confirmed that he got fired (at least not by any information posted here)
85 Gnome Mage
I don't think you understand what depth means.

Let's just take your "trivializing the leveling experience" claim for example. First of all, the 1-85 leveling experience is not shorter than it was for 1-60 during vanilla. Quest text has not changed in any significant fashion. Aside from introducing an entirely new experience with the addition of new quest designs, the only significant change that the cataclysm leveling overhaul brought was to get rid of long errand-boy quests and make leveling a more linear, intuitive experience.

If you think traveling from Gadgetzan to Ratchet to Stormwind and back was depth, well, I'm not quite sure how to respond to you.
100 Pandaren Priest
Vex
Is this another WoW-apocalyspe thread based on inaccurate/misinterpretated info again?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]