mass layoffs at blizz

(Locked)

85 Troll Warrior
It's a company and therefore it's decisions are based on profits/loss not what an employee did 7 years ago. If an employee does a great job at something.... then gets "stuck" at a lower level of performance... they get fired, that's simply good business.
11/08/2011 06:54 AMPosted by Dreary
. Anyone with half a brain can tell you this is not the way to retain your former players.

LOL - make a game that appeals to the highly skilled player and shuts out the much larger of those average players you go on about, and that's a good business model - make a game that appeals to the unwashed masses of mediocre players and disappoints the small number of highly skilled players and that's a bad business model?
90 Undead Priest
11/08/2011 07:34 AMPosted by Orsnoire
I didn't say heroic raids, i said heroics/raids. mostly heroics though, raiding takes too long.

Ok, that seals it. This guy MUST be a troll. There's no damn way that someone seriously expects anyone to take his opinion seriously when he openly admits that he rarely raids and is basing his entire assessment of the game on heroics.

heroics/raids are a very small part of this game, look around there's alot more to see and do. now whether or not it's worth seeing and doing is debatable. most of the issues i've brought up here have to do with leveling, which as you know is the first thing new players see, and it's what should be enticing enough to keep them playing. it isn't, and an mmo that doesn't attract new players while turning away old players isn't going to be successful.
1 Orc Shaman
11/08/2011 07:34 AMPosted by Polenzsky
Pretty much all the significant blizzard veterans has left and formed their own company

Which is normal. And good for them. Blizzard was once an upstart company. People seem to forget this.

90 Blood Elf Mage
ITT rainmakers start taking credit for the weather. :)
85 Blood Elf Paladin

the idea of blizz fireing people that help make them what they are makes me worried about anything else thats done by the company

They were useful back then and made blizzard a lot of $ but now they're not as effective and they're being replaced by a much cheaper foreign worker or that particular department is shipped to china/india, I see it as a good business decision

Yes, they're going to ship their most important development jobs over to China. Think before you say incredibly stupid things.
90 Undead Priest
11/08/2011 07:43 AMPosted by Aethelmarc
. Anyone with half a brain can tell you this is not the way to retain your former players.

LOL - make a game that appeals to the highly skilled player and shuts out the much larger of those average players you go on about, and that's a good business model - make a game that appeals to the unwashed masses of mediocre players and disappoints the small number of highly skilled players and that's a bad business model?

don't forget the playerbase grew the most during BC, up to 10 million. obviously they were doing something right back then that they aren't doing now.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/08/2011 07:43 AMPosted by Aethelmarc

He's mistaking personal preference for 'good' and 'bad'.

A good business model maximizes profit by minimizing costs.

Cataclysm was based on a 'bad business model' and the decreased profits demonstrate that.

LK was based on a 'good business model' and the numbers back that up.

personal preference aside, the suits are going to give orders to the developers based on which model makes the most money.
100 Human Priest
The simple fact that the layoffs happened a day before the quarterly report is indicative that this is profit-related. Even if these people weren't doing a good job and would've been fired anyway, the fact that they can take this info into the meeting with them to mitigate any bad financial news in the report seems too obvious.
37 Gnome Warlock
Why do people continue to fail to understand the basic premise:

Blizzard (subsidiary of Activision) is a COMPANY that reports to shareholders. Shareholders (owning stock) want PROFIT on their investment (or do YOU invest in stock and simply hope to retain or even lose money? If you do, a sanitarium is soon coming for you)

The companies do not exist to simply keep the game going for you. They make changes based upon their findings and research as to how their consumer base is trending. No longer is it a base that wants a long-process of building; they want to play, play now and win NOW. Everyone is cramming 30 hours in a 24 hour day... impatience and intolerance runs rampant.

So changes arrive, not to piss you off, not to make you leave... but to appeal to their targets. Sorry if this comes across harsh, but you are owed no loyalty. If you leave and your subscription is replaced by two new ones..... the company has profited.

All that said, this is nothing new in the gaming industry or any consumer-consumption industry. TSR started with Dungeons and Dragons... to Advanced, to 2nd edition..... 3rd edition..... now 4th edition. They morph, the longtime players don't like it but they garner more consumers with their simpler designs.

And TSR-turned-Wizards of the Coast still exists, still puts out products (though the boom of the internet doomed table-top gaming for good); so will Blizzard.

In a totally separate research finding: Tuesdays with maintenance downtime produces more lunacy. Anti-anxiety prescriptions on the rise. Details to follow.
80 Undead Priest
11/08/2011 07:33 AMPosted by Scrimm
Kids and stoners.

Who else plays this game cept those two?
Me... lol

I'm neither a kid ( my son is already an adult), nor am I a stoner.
11/08/2011 07:11 AMPosted by Kaletha
Is this another WoW-apocalyspe thread based on inaccurate/misinterpretated info again?

Right, then, standard operating procedure, let's all duck and cover. Cheerio!
90 Night Elf Warrior
Pretty much this.

Im sad anyone loses their job... but Blizz is an American company, and in typical American style, they will fire and !@#$ on 700 ppl so their top executives make 201k a year instead of 200k a year.

WRONG-

Activision Blizzard, Inc., formerly Activision, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI) is the American holding company for Activision and Blizzard Entertainment. The company is majority owned by French conglomerate Vivendi SA and was created through the merger of Activision and Vivendi Games, announced on December 2, 2007,[3] in a deal worth USD$18.8 billion.[4] The deal closed July 9, 2008. The company believed that the merging of the two companies would create "the world's largest and most subtle pure-play video game publisher".[5] It believes that it is the only publisher that has "leading market positions across all categories" of the video game industry. ( this goes on to talk about the layoffs as well )

It is OWNED by the FRENCH. Like most industries, just because they are on any countries soil, they are usually owned by an over seas company. Kinda like China owns a good chunk of the USA already. Get your heads out of the dark ages my american friends.

Indeed Vivendi has the controlling interest. in ActiBlizz but the person you quoted is far from WRONG. it is an American headquartered company with an American CEO with substantial operations in America. Blizzard probably being the largest entity within ActiBlizz.
Edited by Tehrock on 11/8/2011 7:54 AM PST
85 Night Elf Druid
The simple fact that the layoffs happened a day before the quarterly report is indicative that this is profit-related. Even if these people weren't doing a good job and would've been fired anyway, the fact that they can take this info into the meeting with them to mitigate any bad financial news in the report seems too obvious.

Yup. Layoffs timed for a shareholder report certainly suggests it won't be a good report.

As an aside, I think companies that lay off people simply to boost short-term share prices are making a huge mistake. If this plays out like it looks, then I have even less respect for Activision-Blizzard management than I had before.
85 Troll Warrior
11/08/2011 07:44 AMPosted by Dreary

Ok, that seals it. This guy MUST be a troll. There's no damn way that someone seriously expects anyone to take his opinion seriously when he openly admits that he rarely raids and is basing his entire assessment of the game on heroics.

heroics/raids are a very small part of this game, look around there's alot more to see and do. now whether or not it's worth seeing and doing is debatable. most of the issues i've brought up here have to do with leveling, which as you know is the first thing new players see, and it's what should be enticing enough to keep them playing. it isn't, and an mmo that doesn't attract new players while turning away old players isn't going to be successful.

Actually most new players used to quit this game before reaching lvl 10-20 due to the difficulty and non-linear composition of things, the leveling and low level questing areas are actually designed in a way to attract newer players.... I can attest to this by stating that my dad tried it out a couple years ago... got tired of having to come to me for an explaination of everything... when cataclysm came out he tried it again and I didnt hear from him because everything was explained for him and it was obvious where he needed to go. I believe even blizzard made a post before cataclysm came out explaining that the changes were intended to retain new players rather than frustrate them before they could even get started.
90 Undead Priest
Why do people continue to fail to understand the basic premise:

Blizzard (subsidiary of Activision) is a COMPANY that reports to shareholders. Shareholders (owning stock) want PROFIT on their investment (or do YOU invest in stock and simply hope to retain or even lose money? If you do, a sanitarium is soon coming for you)

The companies do not exist to simply keep the game going for you. They make changes based upon their findings and research as to how their consumer base is trending. No longer is it a base that wants a long-process of building; they want to play, play now and win NOW. Everyone is cramming 30 hours in a 24 hour day... impatience and intolerance runs rampant.

So changes arrive, not to piss you off, not to make you leave... but to appeal to their targets. Sorry if this comes across harsh, but you are owed no loyalty. If you leave and your subscription is replaced by two new ones..... the company has profited.

All that said, this is nothing new in the gaming industry or any consumer-consumption industry. TSR started with Dungeons and Dragons... to Advanced, to 2nd edition..... 3rd edition..... now 4th edition. They morph, the longtime players don't like it but they garner more consumers with their simpler designs.

And TSR-turned-Wizards of the Coast still exists, still puts out products (though the boom of the internet doomed table-top gaming for good); so will Blizzard.

In a totally separate research finding: Tuesdays with maintenance downtime produces more lunacy. Anti-anxiety prescriptions on the rise. Details to follow.

I just took my anti-anxiety, much better now thank you :)

and I'd like to comment on just one thing you said:

The problem is they aren't getting two new ones. Subs have been dropping the last 3 Qs.
However, subs grew steadily when WoW had comprehensive talent trees, group quests, elite world mobs, a non-linear questing experience, i could go on but can't you see this? the current direction is no good.
100 Human Priest
The problem is they aren't getting two new ones. Subs have been dropping the last 3 Qs.
However, subs grew steadily when WoW had comprehensive talent trees, group quests, elite world mobs, a non-linear questing experience, i could go on but can't you see this? the current direction is no good.

But we don't know if it's because new players aren't staying subscribed long enough to hit max level (or at least 1-60), or the exodus of veteran players is just that severe.
90 Undead Priest

You're wrong, they lost a lot of old subscribers while they didn't gain enough new players to make up the numbers, I've seen dozens of completely new players in a few servers

The fact of the matter is that the old design garnered them more subs than the new design. I don't know how you can argue otherwise, the numbers speak for themselves. Unless you're gonna say that Blizz gained all those subs during BC and Wrath due to luck or some act of the almighty, you have no case Mr angry attorney.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]