Stampede

90 Dwarf Shaman
So, would it use our pets we have on hand or would it be more like the group of npc's we get when you do the Firelands daily at Sethria's Roost? Just some random animals.

Would it use any of our pet's special abilities?

We're talking about something that is completely hypothetical, so anything is possible.

I personally would want the ability to call the five pets that I actually have on hand at the time, since that would give me control over what everyone sees when I send out the stampede.

Furthermore, it makes a lot of sense for the spell effects to not vary much from hunter to hunter, so special abilities would be right out, *but* I wouldn't mind seeing the pets going through their best motions.

But what about MM or Survival Hunters who carry a BM pet or two for dual spec?

Are there any plans to allow us to carry 5 different pets for each spec? (As in, I could bring 5 MM pets, change spec to BM, and have access to 5 different pets of my choosing)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
I think the real question here is will we be able to pop BW with them out?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I think if it ever gets implemented, those 5 pets will be uncontrollable and wont have any special abilities. More like shammy wolves. Otherwise it'll be too OP.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
This spell is an identical concept to the spell "Alpha Strike", available to the Ranger profession in Guild Wars 2...

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Alpha_Strike
Edited by Kögu on 11/11/2011 2:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Well I do hope this makes it to 5.0 and its as cool as it sounds. After the letdown of cata that was Focus and Camo, I really need something to look forward to on my hunter.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
So, would it use our pets we have on hand or would it be more like the group of npc's we get when you do the Firelands daily at Sethria's Roost? Just some random animals.

We're talking about something that is completely hypothetical, so anything is possible.

I personally would want the ability to call the five pets that I actually have on hand at the time, since that would give me control over what everyone sees when I send out the stampede.

Furthermore, it makes a lot of sense for the spell effects to not vary much from hunter to hunter, so special abilities would be right out, *but* I wouldn't mind seeing the pets going through their best motions.

I quite like the idea of being able to bring a stable of pets for this (could we get call pet back? or some kind of access to the stable when not in a city?). You could bring 5 worms for a big AoE phase. You could bring 5 chimeras for the same (please fix their crappy conal AoE, make it 360 degrees). You could bring 5 devilsaurs (man that would be awesome) for single target.

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I would hope that if this gets implemented that the actual pet abilities used by the stampede stay constant and aren't influenced by the pets you carry in your slots. As fun as the idea is to tweak your pet inventory for maximum benefit from a stampede, it would also be problematic to have not one but all 5 pet slots influence your dps on a fight. As many have mentioned, they have other reasons to carry specific pets with them and wouldn't want to be forced into planning around stampede. That said, if we could resort our pets on the fly rather than returning to a stable master, this would be less of a problem.

I don't think the idea of stampede would be all that less cool if which pets you were carrying only affected how the stampede looked and not the actual damage done by it, and it'd be a lot less complex from a making everyone happy standpoint.

That said, I do think this feature raises another issue, which is the need currently to keep an empty pet slot just for taming out of your 5 pets. There really should be a way to send a pet back to the stable in the field (assuming an empty stable slot) even if there isn't going to be a portable stable master. This would allow hunters to carry the pets they need at any given time without worrying about missing out on a taming opportunity.
Reply Quote
11/11/2011 02:06 PMPosted by Kaivax

While the damage is going to be all sorts of random and maybe difficult to coordinate easily... thematically they'll rock so very... very hard.

...though you'll end up with some hunters with 5 spiders going "Take him now my spider army!"

...or 5 gorillas and saying something Planet of the Apes related.

...though I'd love to see 5 Silithids, 4 bugs named "John, Paul, George, Ringo" and one other Silithid named "Yoko" (probably a wasp, just to differentiate.)

Sorry, tend to ramble a little bit.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage

If you could pull this off, that would be awesome and it would make me reconsider which five pets I have when not raiding just so they could look cool together when doing this. This is the kind of thing I'm hoping each class gets - something that is incredibly cool and fun.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
11/11/2011 02:06 PMPosted by Kaivax

First let me say that I think this would be fantastic, awesome and fun, especially since any of the five pets can change depending on whatever the hunter has.

That said, wouldn't that be a bit too cluttered, even with a long cooldown? Five different pets of varying sizes -- perhaps some even flying -- isn't really the same thing as three spirit wolves that all look the same, or a gargoyle.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
11/11/2011 02:48 PMPosted by Elvorin
More like shammy wolves

Shammy wolves are in fact controllable and have 3 special abilities. Just putting that out there.
Reply Quote
It'd be nice to have another big DPS cooldown alongside Rapid Fire. Would certainly help feel more like a hunter to be able to have all 5 at once.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
I'd want the pets to be from 5 specified slots in my stable, and be able to have my current pet out too, like DKs can with their summoned ghoul and the Army of the Dead ones. :)
Reply Quote
97 Dwarf Hunter
I assume it will go to the ptr being the awesome ability that it sounds like it could be, then it will be nerfed into the ground just like camo.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
If stampede isn't added or if it is but not each and everyone of my individual (on-call) pets come out and attack I will be dropping my hunter and playing my priest instead for MoP.

If healing becomes a pain in the !@#$ again like it was earlier this xpac, then i'm dropping the game from my roster and playing the arsenal of other good games that have been coming out recently.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I believe a similar idea was bandied about at a previous Blizzcon. People see the "Stampede" cooldown used in the DEHTA questline and look at as "oh look cool". I for one would love to see something similar. I would say it would need to be a normalized ability though.

I speak for myself of course, but I know a lot of other hunters do this as well. Either we run around with a free pet slot just in case we come across a rare pet in our travels, or we have a "tank" pet and a couple of "utility" pets in our 5. I tend to use BM to quest/daily with so I have a BM pet in my 5 as well. If the ability was not "normalized" then we would be forced to have 5 pets that were all specced for damage rather than utility in our 5 at all times.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]