Mastery raid buff

90 Night Elf Druid
And your subscription-hemorrhage backs me up.

Prove that they're in any way connected. Otherwise, no it really doesn't.
Edited by Slashlove on 11/10/2011 5:47 PM PST
85 Worgen Druid
Losing people over time tends to be a pretty common quality in any online game - things get stale, new games come out, life circumstances and free time availability change. It was happening with popular MUDs long before MMOs even existed, and it's happened with MMOs since their inception. In fact, it's rather remarkable that WoW has managed to stay as popular and successful as it has for a solid seven years.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
11/10/2011 05:42 PMPosted by Feanorion
The more you have changed the game from late-TBC, the more customers you have lost. Tweaking? Making small adjustments? Sure! Wholesale sweeping changes that make gameplay unrecognizable from the previous expansion? No. And your subscription-hemorrhage backs me up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
90 Human Paladin
11/10/2011 03:13 PMPosted by Fasc
-snip-
Pretty much this. What Fasc said.

It not Blizzard's fault the game has grown to the point of intensive testing for maximum performance. Every game has it (some are more in-depth than others) and player ambition makes intricate balance necessary.

If Blizzard is to blame, blame their ability to build a playerbase and maintain it, because it's high population and age which cause the problems alluded to in the post to which Fasc replied.

(Although I hesitate to say "cause problems"; it's more a necessary byproduct which presents new challenges.)
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
As a tangent

I still actually play a MUD and people have said that that game has been dying since 2001, there's even the same sky is falling type threads

because that's really the only thing to do at work
85 Night Elf Warrior
Hey, that reads a lot like my speculation here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3566297153#15

But I wasn't perfect. It looks like parry and dodge are gonna stick around. I haz a sad. Also, crit will just be another resource helper: double resource generation through crits, faster resource generation through haste.

In the tinfoil category..

On Page 5, there's a deleted post by Barwicka. The name is in Blizzard blue...
Edited by Charsi on 11/10/2011 7:24 PM PST
85 Night Elf Warrior
Heh. Hrmmmm...... o.O
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/10/2011 07:23 PMPosted by Charsi
On Page 5, there's a deleted post by Barwicka. The name is in Blizzard blue...

Shaman blue. Blizzard names show up white, Blizzard text shows up blue. Player names follow class colors.
85 Night Elf Warrior
Freaky. How come I never noticed this.
Edited by Charsi on 11/10/2011 7:30 PM PST
85 Troll Warrior
There is also A giant blizzard logo in the top left corner of their posts.
85 Undead Death Knight
So Slashy, you don't think scrapping and rebuilding the game into something new and having to relearn everything plays no part in the million-subscriber loss?

You think entire seasons passing with no new content plays no part in the million-subscriber loss?

You think that rehashed stale content plays no part in the million-subscriber loss?

I'm sure it does. I'm sure some people just said "I don't like the direction the game is going in, I'm leaving." I don't think it can be attributed to any one factor, and some people have an extreme hatred for one aspect, while another for another, and some just dislike all of it and it ends up surmounting into an unenjoyable experience.

However, that's a very one-sided and narrow point of view on the subject. The other question that must be asked is, how many people would leave if they didn't change specs around once in a while? I personally know that if they didn't change Blood from how it was in 4.2 I would have quit tanking, perhaps eventually the game. Similarly, I look forward to being able to play Frost without the clunkiness of runic empowerment. Even if you argue that they should keep them as they were at their best, despite that being an inherently subjective and flawed argument, I would retort that it would eventually get stale. I loved 3.3 Frost DW DPS, but that doesn't mean if I had to play it for the next five years I wouldn't get a little bored.

Similarly, the so-called 'rehashed content' is something the playerbase has been crying for, weeping for, pretty much since the point they outleveled Shadowfang Keep in Vanilla. Now everybody is suddenly yelling at them because they're 'recycling old content out of laziness.' I'm no Blizzard fan-boi, especially not for this expansion, but you're QQing for all the wrong reasons.
90 Draenei Paladin
11/10/2011 09:21 PMPosted by Corpseicle
Similarly, the so-called 'rehashed content' is something the playerbase has been crying for, weeping for, pretty much since the point they outleveled Shadowfang Keep in Vanilla. Now everybody is suddenly yelling at them because they're 'recycling old content out of laziness.'

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Catch 22.
85 Night Elf Druid
11/10/2011 10:06 PMPosted by Muletia
Similarly, the so-called 'rehashed content' is something the playerbase has been crying for, weeping for, pretty much since the point they outleveled Shadowfang Keep in Vanilla. Now everybody is suddenly yelling at them because they're 'recycling old content out of laziness.'

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Catch 22.

This this this this this.

For every single idea implemented, that's 1000 others that are not implemented that are contrary to that idea and 100,000 more that could have been done in its place focusing on something entirely different.

For every single facet of this game that someone hates, someone loves.

Fean and I have gone back and forth about the aesthetics in this game in the past and I think he's crazy (not Fean crazy, just generally crazy) that the models and gear designs have purely been downhill since TBC. Others agree with him, others agree with me, some don't even care at all.

As an aside, the post on MMO that reported the additional 800k lost subscriptions mentioned that a large portion were from China. Geocentric fan base changes are well beyond my scope of expertise or knowledge, especially when said area is a culture about as far removed from my own as it gets. There are MMOs out there that I probably haven't even heard of, other games in general, all sorts of gaming news that I'm typically oblivious to, and such outside factors favor just as much into who plays THIS game as the game itself does.

As another aside, have you noticed how video game ads are trending more and more? I'm not talking for specific games that are movie trailer esque or anything like that, but especially the X-Box Bing with Kinect and stuff like that. You see whole families and people of ALL ages, young and old, playing the games. Other commercials for some of those video game rental deals show varied ages and genders as well. I'd be interested to see if solid numbers are currently or recently known on how the overall population of gamers has changed overtime. I'm willing to bet that any growth in the last 5 years or so has been less to teens and young adults getting into video games for the first time (ie new gamers) and more from just general populations going up. In other words, I get the impression markets are trying to expand further to get more people playing because well... they have us already so they need more blood because more money is always good.
Daxx, I've tried asking this before but one of my chief concerns about tanks and wanting to hit things is the fact that tanks have to deal with absurd parry rates from bosses. Any plans to change this?

I wouldn't mind getting more hit and expertise, but I need SO MUCH expertise that it feels really bad.

I think the best route to go is to simply remove Expertise as a stat and roll everything into Hit and adjust the values accordingly. Expertise is such an un-interesting stat that doesn't really make sense when paired with another stats called Hit. As it is now for melee DPS (the ones who require Expertise), they basically reach their caps for Hit and Hit II then focus on something else. Why not just roll it all in to one value that makes sense?

Assuming Blizzard could make Hit rating affect each type of "miss" differently then they could presumably remove the massive requirement to push boss parries off the table by simply hitting the Hit cap, which could be adjusted to something more reasonable (7-10%).

If any of that made sense.
Edited by Brohk on 11/11/2011 12:14 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
I think the best route to go is to simply remove Expertise as a stat and roll everything into Hit and adjust the values accordingly. Expertise is such an un-interesting stat that doesn't really make sense when paired with another stats called Hit. As it is now for melee DPS (the ones who require Expertise), they basically reach their caps for Hit and Hit II then focus on something else. Why not just roll it all in to one value that makes sense?

Assuming Blizzard could make Hit rating affect each type of "miss" differently then they could presumably remove the massive requirement to push boss parries off the table by simply hitting the Hit cap, which could be adjusted to something more reasonable (7-10%).

Actually, if they chose to do this, they'd probably just bump melee miss rate against bosses to 17% and have it all play from the one stat.

I'm not sure that's what you want them to do.
90 Draenei Paladin
Actually, if they chose to do this, they'd probably just bump melee miss rate against bosses to 17% and have it all play from the one stat.

I'm not sure that's what you want them to do.

Yes, not sure if want ..
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]