Please teach me Blizzard!

55 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hi there!

I'm an Unholy DK/Survival Hunter/Subtlety Rogue!

According to you, I and millions like me, simply haven't discovered the "optimal" way of playing these specs. The reason for them underperforming is because we suck, as opposed to them suffering from mechanical problems compared to their counterparts.

Since I'm such a terrible player, I'd love for some Blizzard insight into how I can play my spec(s) and get those amazing results you seem to think I'm capable of.

I'd also love it if you could tell me how my spec can handle things like:

-Excessive movement
-On demand burst single target and aoe damage
-Bad scaling
-Target switching problems

I'm listening Blizz.
Teach me!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Signed.

Survival has little to no wiggle room in the DPS cycle, none in the glyphs, none in the spec, and almost none in our stat priority.

But we're obviously not playing right. /eyeroll
Reply Quote
34 Goblin Hunter
I've played hunter for 6 or so years. I may not be the best in the wolrd, but I understand the ways of the hunter. I guess, according to Blizz, I don't.

Please teach me , too!!!
Reply Quote
92 Gnome Warrior
Signed.

Survival has little to no wiggle room in the DPS cycle, none in the glyphs, none in the spec, and almost none in our stat priority.

But we're obviously not playing right. /eyeroll
Didn't the devs say something along the lines of your pet damage being amazing and making you raid capable? or was that only for BM?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
You've taken what they said completely out of form. I'm not going to babysit posters on thinking for half of a minute to understand where they are coming from and why they said that, but maybe re-read it with an open mind.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
I love you, and I love this thread.

/signed
Reply Quote
11/09/2011 12:44 PMPosted by Sensations
You've taken what they said completely out of form. I'm not going to babysit posters on thinking for half of a minute to understand where they are coming from and why they said that, but maybe re-read it with an open mind.

Not really.

Broken mechanics are being ignored.

Blizzard is thinking purely in terms of "These specs are capable of x DPS, so they're fine".

Essentially, we're being told: L2P.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I think the answer is has something to do with counterattack, or maybe take ISS. No survival hunter takes those, so maybe we need to l2p and use those.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
11/09/2011 12:50 PMPosted by Llanthanum
I think the answer is has something to do with counterattack, or maybe take ISS. No survival hunter takes those, so maybe we need to l2p and use those.

The thought of playing Survival with ISS makes me nauseous.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
11/09/2011 12:47 PMPosted by Oberoth

Not really.

Broken mechanics are being ignored.

Blizzard is thinking purely in terms of "These specs are capable of x DPS, so they're fine".

Essentially, we're being told: L2P.

To the min-max players of course, but I feel it needs to be looked at more of a "People just play the spec with the highest dps no matter if it's 1,000 or 10,000 more, give other specs a chance?"
Reply Quote
Seems like in Blizzards mind, if you aren't a caster, you don't matter and can go sit down at the back of the bus.
Reply Quote
It's NOT ABOUT NUMBERS.

Do you not get that?

It's about mechanics. These specs have mechanics that need serious fixing. That's why they aren't played.
Blizzard assumes we're stupid, don't know the numbers they're capable of, and tells us L2P.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Death Knight
This thread is a little abrasive, but I don't know what kind of reaction they expected other than this with an answer like that.

I expect it was a case of poor wording.

I hope.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I like this thread. I don't like Unholy much, but I'll bump it anyways in the hope that maybe the next Q&A won't be so focused on Warlocks and Druids.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Death Knight
Oh hai. Can we please act like adults when addressing Blizzard? Don't give me some ridiculous excuse like "they're treating us like idiots," as if that somehow excuses you for acting like a child. Courtesy does not work that way.

The answer they gave was horribly worded, but I understand what Blizzard was trying to say: a lot of people look at the performance of specs on, say, WoL and think that one spec is superior to another inherently, rather than trying them out. That hardly excuses the fact that Blizzard needs to make its developers take some writing classes (at the very least), but you should try to understand where they're coming from.

Regarding mechanics: the number one reason why people flock or flee from specs is performance, not mechanics. This has been demonstrated throughout WoW's history. Time after time players have suffered through horrific mechanics and playstyles in order to perform better for their guild or whatever, sometimes for entire expansions. Sony, Oberoth but there's no empirical evidence to back up your protests.

If you want to complain about bad mechanics, complain about them. Don't try to assert they're the reason "nobody" plays Unholy: it's almost certainly its relative performance vis-a-vis Frost.
Edited by Valsorn on 11/9/2011 1:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I passed this along to Xelnath, as he's the one who made the statement you're referring to. Here's what he has to say:

I’ll own up to this one. Our players are incredibly creative, dedicated and focused on maximizing their classes’ effectiveness. That said, I’ve seen some incredibly talented Subtlety rogues pull off damage nobody thought was possible. Sometimes the truth is hidden out there – when a majority of players are drawn to the current theorycrafted max-dps spec – there’s fewer eyes to find the tricks to maximize the effectiveness of another spec.

I don’t know how to play your class – you guys are the masters there. Sometimes an “underpowered” spec is actually just underloved.

Thanks for the passionate discussion.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
So....which is it? We don't know how to play our specs or we do? And as we've made a point of, it's not the lack of dps that deters us from playing said specs (at least inthe case of Unholy,) but the mechanics that greatly favor opposing specs.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
11/09/2011 01:31 PMPosted by Waylandyr
So....which is it? We don't know how to play our specs or we do? And as we've made a point of, it's not the lack of dps that deters us from playing said specs (at least inthe case of Unholy,) but the mechanics that greatly favor opposing specs.

True for unholy, but SV is mechanically easier and more forgiving than MM. But it still does worse dps except on very rare occasions.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
11/09/2011 01:24 PMPosted by Valsorn
If you want to complain about bad mechanics, complain about them. Don't try to assert they're the reason "nobody" plays Unholy: it's almost certainly its relative performance vis-a-vis Frost.

That "relative performance" is nearly completely dependent on said mechanics. Frost simply has superior mechanics allowing a greater flexibility.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
L2Love = More DPS

doesn't sound very DKish
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]