Starting to think...

90 Blood Elf Paladin
the realm might need the Free Character Migration (to us, not off) treatment >.>

Anyone else agree? Course, I only say this because we are low population and I can't find very many people for old raids.
Edited by Shadowdog on 11/10/2011 12:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
FCM = Flirty Chinese Mouse?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Been there, done that (late '08), didn't help us in the long run. But Blizz did end up making some good $$ from all the free xfers that later paid to leave this server. So in a way this server is a decent money maker for them.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
I agree this server aint doing as well!! just spent 3 hours in a raid group, that went nowhere! just not enough people...
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
heard rumors that they are going to start up xfers at the beginning of the year... combine low pop pvp servers... but I agree with Wubby... they will hold out till almost on one is left to pay for xfer.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
They could merge us with another server.... Like If i am correct we are of high horde population Im guessing this because this being a new server for me i have yet to see an alliance in the wild... I even went to SW when i got my flying mount and looked around i only saw like 7 alliancess?es? So maybe if we are high horde pop bliz could merge us with a server that is of high alliance pop? so it would balance out and get us out of the low pop range....
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
11/15/2011 09:56 AMPosted by Wubby
Been there, done that (late '08), didn't help us in the long run.

You don't say? Tortheldrin has never been able to keep a stable population, and it never will. The population is terrible. Might as well transfer off like everyone else and let them shut it down. The only thing the transfers in '08 brought were trolls, and even they left when they got the chance.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
the horde to ally ratio is balancing out, but that's cuz there no horde left, either. see above for prime example.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
But what is the cause for tort's population to fall? What exactily makes or breaks a server for its "epicness"? What makes a server die? And other than closeing down or mergeing a server whats left for bliz to do?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
There's really nothing that can save this server. They've tried before, and it never works. The people that have been on the server for years can attest to this. There will never be enough of a player base to hold together at least one decent raiding guild on each side, and no one is going to stick around long enough to build one.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
OK, but I am new to this server I come from a mid pop server (don't ask me why someone made me come here) and i actually enjoy it though i have yet to see an alliance in the wild other than go fly over SW and die just to see if there were some left.

What i was asking is what makes a server popular? And you said you missed tort the way it was 1-2years ago was it better? and what killed it or re killed it?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
12/08/2011 10:25 AMPosted by Kimai
What i was asking is what makes a server popular? And you said you missed tort the way it was 1-2years ago was it better? and what killed it or re killed it?

The first and last questions may be hard to answer. The 2nd is easy enough. 2 years ago WoW was at its peak so there was just more people. That's all it was that made the server better. Well that and the content we were playing then.

Why isn't Torth popular? I'll offer my opinions. Emberstorm was never a great BG. Tortheldrin isn't exactly an epic name that grabs a new person signing up for the first time. Torth wasn't a classic server. The older the server the more people they have. It's a PVP server. PvE server pops are always higher than PVP. And until last year Emberstorm was located at a data center in Seattle that was arguably the worst data center of all the server groups (Boston server people can argue this). Having more down time compared to other servers never helped. Also being an east coast time server but physically located on the west coast never helped either with the lag conscious.

Also speaking of PVP and PVE servers you mentioned that they should merge us with a server that has a high Ally pop / low Horde pop but such a server doesn't exist. All low pop PVP servers are Horde heavy because Horde are the preferred race for PVP. There are a few oddities out there but they would be high pop servers. PVE servers on the other hand tend to be Ally heavy.

What killed it? Well some of the things I mentioned earlier. Faction xfers didn't help, removing the wait period between xfers probably didn't help, pve->pvp xfers actually brought a few people I remember so I can't say that one. And guild xfers as we recently saw didn't help us at all either. Then there's the entirety of Cata which hasn't helped any realm. Nor did the entire year prior where we only had ICC (during which I actually took a break from wow). Shared raid lockouts killed all the casual 25m guilds like Psychoactive.

I'm sure Ambz can add a few.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
We lost Yenn.

edit to add serious answer: those really are the key reasons why Tortheldrin and every other server with the same situation is practically dead. The more people there are on a server, the more popular it is, even with the situation of having to wait in a queue to log in. There is just more to do on servers like that and more opportunities that you don't have on servers like Tortheldrin. On a low population server, especially before LFR, if you weren't in Predestined (RIP to another server), Dragon Souls, Thuderstruck (RIP), etc, you weren't really getting anything accomplished. I'd try to remember back to 07 & 08 for good guilds, but I'm old and my memory is broken. Anyhow, I'd like to think that things might be more tolerable now for you guys since LFR started and random dungeons can be done without having to use people from the same server.
Edited by Ambz on 12/11/2011 5:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
The one thing i do dislike about tort compaired to my old server is for some reason dungeon ques are bad! even for tank (vanilla). 0.o a 16min wait as tank at lvl 50 like unheard of on my other server............

But what will Bliz DO about this crashing server? xfer us all off and shut down? I've heard that in tradechat(which i kno is complete BULL 99.99999% of the time)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
wubby, you're awesome. to be perfectly egotistical, if i wasnt me, i wouldnt really miss playing wow that much. what makes me come back is my friends (gf esp) and boredom, and i can't keep blowing $200+ on strippers a night.
seriously, i dont miss wow that much, and i know for someone addicted as me to say that, that's not good for wow, they're doing something wrong. I've made lots of great friends, good friends, and had lots of great times. but.....content's not as great, blizz seems to care more about money then anything else, and not really fixing classes. sure, back in the day, some classes/specs were broken, but, it seems to be worse now, with no real signs of getting better, even though blizz is hyping MoP like its the best thing since sex.
its almost a shame, because blizzard has introduced several very nice features, which get taken for granted. certain things which both annoy you and frustrate you, aka "o score! why da f didnt they do this 5 years ago?!?"
theres less people everywhere, that's a fact. in kuwait i read about 15 forums about different servers dieing. oddly, i guess we're so terrible we didnt show up on anyone's official lists of any realms, theres so few of us left. certainly not massively multiplayer anymore.
theres not really much that can save this server, i guess. hopefully blizz comes to their senses, fires GC, and gets good dev teams back on wow. though, wow enjoyed quite a run before they all went to SCII and D3. hopefully they come back. even the one interview with w/e GM who said he emails GC got the response "don't worry about it." qq ramlbing while drinking.
anyways, yay for having internet, air thats not filled with dust, and no mortars/rockets coming at me.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage

. but.....content's not as great, blizz seems to care more about money then anything else, and not really fixing classes.

When did activision join or merge or buy out or whatever it did with Bliz? You watch they will try to shut down tort but instead of xfering us off for free they will give us a discounted cost like instead of whatever it costs now they will take 50% off....
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I HAVE IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO ADD BECAUSE WUBBY WAS WRONG AND I NEED TO BRAG ABOUT KNOWING MORE THAN ANOTHER PERSON ON THE INTERNET. Alliance are actually the preferred PvP race, because Humans get a free PvP trinket racial, which means they have two slots for PvE trinkets, whereas every other race only gets one. Now you may counter with "Hurr durr trolls r have barskering whitch is bettar than having trinkit you nub" to which I will have to reply "You're wrong."
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Mage
What Dargon said.

And what Ambz said...whai you go Yenn.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
We lost Yenn.

edit to add serious answer: those really are the key reasons why Tortheldrin and every other server with the same situation is practically dead. The more people there are on a server, the more popular it is, even with the situation of having to wait in a queue to log in. There is just more to do on servers like that and more opportunities that you don't have on servers like Tortheldrin. On a low population server, especially before LFR, if you weren't in Predestined (RIP to another server), Dragon Souls(RIP), Thuderstruck (RIP), etc, you weren't really getting anything accomplished. I'd try to remember back to 07 & 08 for good guilds, but I'm old and my memory is broken. Anyhow, I'd like to think that things might be more tolerable now for you guys since LFR started and random dungeons can be done without having to use people from the same server.

Fixed.
Our former Guild Master (Tangseng) was gone months ago.
And the newly appointed one has been missing in action.
Half of our core raid group has either gone AFKed or Xfered to another higher population realm.
Sighs.

I too, will be leaving this god-forsaken place soon.
TO ARTHAS!
Edited by Xanmanz on 1/7/2012 5:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Yes, yes, goood goood. Soon all of the Asians will be gone, and the bads shall inherit the Tortheldrin! I shall be king retard, and once Dragon Souls leave, THERE WILL BE NO ONE TO STOP ME!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]