Trial Account "Twinks"

A couple weeks ago I was picking up some Arena Master for my twink to get Arena Grand Master, when I was jumped by a Horde Feral Druid who was Level ?? to my level 6 Warlock. He only had around 700 HP, so I assumed he was a 19 Twink in the works.

Wrong.

A couple days later I check back in, this time on my 85, and saw that he was, in fact, level 20. I killed him and saw he didn't have any heirlooms, but had decent gear nonetheless. I got curious at this point, so I investigated.

The Armory Profile (I'll take this down if requested, but it's a trial account, sowhat?):

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kaelthas/Grrth%C3%BCmp/advanced

Emphasis on:

Arena Grand Master
Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat
His gear enchants - he cannot obtain items from other players in any way - he obtained all of them on his own.
Alchemy - the Mixology buff gives considerable boosts to elixirs that he can make, Elixir of Minor Agility would be among his top choices.

Sure enough, a full-blown trial-account twink, capped out at level 20.

I must say I was pretty impressed. 1.1K HP unbuffed on a trial account. Highly competitive against other level 20 trial accounts, but no match for a half-decent 24 non-trial twink.

Thoughts on trial-twinking? Free-to-play PvP in a competitive, or maybe face-roll, environment sounds pretty nifty to me. Have you experienced any of these such players?

Discuss.
Edited by Weiss on 11/15/2011 10:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
24 Troll Shaman
This is not all. Since honor points are not capped, some of them have... heirlooms. Even bought for JPs.
Hunters with 1600hp. Pretty pain in you-know-where.
Reply Quote
This is not all. Since honor points are not capped, some of them have... heirlooms. Even bought for JPs.

Jeez, didn't think of that. You appear to be a 24 twink yourself; how is the 20-24 bracket, and how many of these 'trial-twinks' are there per BG, generally?
Reply Quote

Jeez, didn't think of that. You appear to be a 24 twink yourself; how is the 20-24 bracket, and how many of these 'trial-twinks' are there per BG, generally?

20-24 is kind of bad at times a bit of hunters (mainly on alliance side) infest BGs making it hard to move with out getting 2-4 pets on you and hunter's mark over your head.

Btw 20s are able to get their own games they pretty much run this bracket and European players are joining playing on US servers.

check out twinkinfo.com (down atm should be back up shortly). there is a F2p community on AP (aerie peak).
Edited by Tzontemoc on 11/15/2011 10:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you know this is a trial account?
Reply Quote
11/16/2011 02:11 AMPosted by Masarah
Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you know this is a trial account?

The gear/enchanting choices give it away.

11/15/2011 10:02 PMPosted by Weiss
Thoughts on trial-twinking? Free-to-play PvP in a competitive, or maybe face-roll, environment sounds pretty nifty to me. Have you experienced any of these such players?

Well, as an avid tinker, I have never actually bothered to make a level 20-24 twink. However, I have done my homework on it, and I know people who have made them. From their first hand experience, they have said that it's fun at times, just like anything else. However, there are a few major problems with it.

There is a movement of 24s that is picking up steam, where players on non trial accounts utilize their access to much superior enchants and gear are making these characters specifically to own or punish these level 20 characters who are twinking on a trial account.

The sentiment is usually that f2p twinkers are ruining the 20-24 bracket for new players by twinking, so anyone who feels that's wrong apparently has the right to punish them for doing so.

The reality of the situation is that level 20 f2p characters are all limited in the same ways. They all have the same exact access to gear, enchants, and are completely unable to receive outside support of any kind on their characters.

So when it comes down to it, a f2p twink character has no real advantage over any other f2p characters, new players included. Not to mention the fact that anyone on a trial account that decides they want to play the game past level 20, is going to purchase the full game and get out of that bracket, completely avoiding the impact any f2p twinks are going to have on them.

From my perspective, there is no real fun to be had from either angle. As a tinker who's looking for a challenge, twinking @ 24 to own f2p characters would not enjoyable because there is no challenge. Conversely, creating a character on a f2p account would not be enjoyable because it's about 15x more work to min/max your stats and the end of it you're going to get steamrolled by some level 24s on their paid accounts.

There is no middle ground and it's possibly one of the most controversial twinking topics out there. It's basically home to the sadists (24s) and masochists (20s) which most sane people avoid.
Reply Quote
39 Dwarf Shaman
i played a 20 using f2p rules for about a week, unless your a hunter/rogue/pally your pretty much screwed. also seems to be alot of lvl 24 premade groups
Reply Quote
19 Night Elf Priest
i wouldn't run from a lvl 20 anything.
Reply Quote
56 Blood Elf Death Knight
Besides the new players this bracket is full of bads from 19, 60 and 70.These players cant hack it in real xp off games so this is where they hide. Making hunters so they can pretend to be "good" at farming the gy. lol. Im not sorry one bit for making a 24 to farm them back. Buy the game or get worked by me on my rogue/druid/prot paly.my 24 projects:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dethecus/Punishdapoor/simplehttp://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dethecus/Twofourbank/simplehttp://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dethecus/Fasterqqs/simplehttp://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dethecus/Devilish/simpleMissing slots are due to boAs being on other toons, but you get the idea. moral of the story?Dont make a f2p toon unless you like losing.

lol
Maybe its just me but it sounds like your the one who "cant hack it in real xp off games" making 4 24's with BC enchants to go against level 20's with lol+1stat enchants, what a challenge lol.
Kinda sounds like twinking before battlegrounds gave xp, maybe its blizzards gift to those that need a huge advantage.
Reply Quote
60 Undead Warrior
24 is a pathetic twink bracket just like any other twink bracket at the moment, because the game just ain't good in general

(well the brackets that aren't getting queues are the ones that have potential unfortunately)
Edited by Zhalthrac on 11/16/2011 4:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
71 Human Death Knight

lol
Maybe its just me but it sounds like your the one who "cant hack it in real xp off games" making 4 24's with BC enchants to go against level 20's with lol+1stat enchants, what a challenge lol.
Kinda sounds like twinking before battlegrounds gave xp, maybe its blizzards gift to those that need a huge advantage.

if you think about it im helping them. either the veterans hiding there man up and play the xp off bracket they're hiding from and get that community active again OR they buy wow and level out or to 24.
either way its win win for me.

Or they laugh at you for thinking you're being constructive for playing a level 24 and go on about their business.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I made a 24 twink prior to trial accounts not having a time limit. I have a prot pally with over 3k health (with no agms) and am able to one shot new ftp players. This isn't really fun for me though. If I play objectives, I win in less than 10 minutes, and have to wait in queue sometimes double that. I haven't met a 20 that gives me any trouble. I am sure there are a few that could take me down, but healing/exo-spam the kiting classes takes care of that. It's an alliance character so I haven't noticed a excess of hunters. I am NOT always the top damage for sure. Hunters and warlocks (of all people) can out damage me. One thing I really like about it is that BG chat is minimal; which is nice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have a trial account merged with my full account and i do have a trial twink on there with looms and very decent gear. In my opinion, i think that the trials that play on there are a lot more friendly than the full account players.
Reply Quote
19 Worgen Druid
I can count to potato.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]