A Brief History of Alterac Valley, Part II

(Locked)

100 Worgen Warlock
Blizzard wont do it because Alterac Valley favors the Alliance, /prod
85 Undead Death Knight
I miss the old days of Alterac Valley, where it would last for days and days. I' love to see that again.

SO please come on Blizz give us the real AV back, would make for a great X-Mas gift this year.
100 Human Warlock
Yes. Old AV PLEASE! I am a Wrath Baby so never got to see it in its glory days but would really love to.
85 Draenei Shaman
I can't believe that the amount of capped threads on this exact topic isn't making (what seems to be) the slightest bit of difference.

They say that they listen, but not a single blue post in one of these threads would seem contrary to this...

There are plenty of reasons why a blue wouldn't reply, but a simple note telling us the sheer amount of positive hard work put in here by a lot of people (least of all, Foury) over a dedicated period of time has been read and passed on in the form of this awesome OP would suffice for now.
85 Human Mage
I can't believe that the amount of capped threads on this exact topic isn't making (what seems to be) the slightest bit of difference.

They say that they listen, but not a single blue post in one of these threads would seem contrary to this...

There are plenty of reasons why a blue wouldn't reply, but a simple note telling us the sheer amount of positive hard work put in here by a lot of people (least of all, Foury) over a dedicated period of time has been read and passed on in the form of this awesome OP would suffice for now.

Zarhym mentioned that he was talking about it (this was a few months ago).

It's been a popular idea for half a decade, and Old AV threads still pop up all the time. I saw no less than 4 separate threads in the same day just last week.

They are sometimes (rarely) willing respond to an offhand "Oh, hey, what about Old AV?" type of question, but seem fel-bent on ignoring the more focused and constructive threads. I know my posts take a little while to read, but with the popularity of Classic AV it would be nice if we could have a discussion with a blue.

They say Old AV didn't work: I wish they'd explain to us the reasons they think it didn't work, and then we can suggest solutions.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424907465
"Why Isn't AV Fun Anymore?"
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743697818
5 Tauren Shaman
My 2 cents...

OP has WAY too much time on his/her hands.

Also, old AV is 4 day old AV. No thanks. Especially since the random tool.
90 Human Mage
you realize in his suggestion he included taking it out of the random rotation right? You wouldn't get AV unless you specifically que'd for it if these changes went through.

/sign
24 Human Paladin
I am back Foury on a new guy with more bumps of fury!
70 Human Rogue
Agreed, I miss old AV and would love to see it again /signed
85 Dwarf Hunter
Classic AV is in my top 5 list of favorite things in the game, up there with classic Southshore vs. Tarren Mill.

Multi-day AV battles are not some nostalgic myth. They actually did happen. I remember many cases of starting a AV battle at night, going to sleep, waking up before work and jumping back in, then quitting again and going to work then coming home from work to find the same battle still raging. There was the odd player who would stay for the entirety of it too and have insane amounts of kills. I recall AVs where I personally had 500-1000+ honorable kills in a single session. Now I am lucky to get 10 HKs in a AV battle.

Following and protecting the druids to the field of strife, then helping them summon Ivus the Forest lord, then cheering when the summon finally went off and Ivus went storming to the enemy base. The damage Ivus dealt is deadly even by todays standards, he would do 30k+ a hit which is a lot when the average player had 3k-4k hp but since he would only attack 1 person at a time he could still be dps'd down. Players could also buff and heal him to make him last longer. A well-timed Ivus was often essential for victory.

As soon as you saw these words /yell'd throughout the zone you knew sh*t was about to get real:

"Wicked, wicked, mortals! The forest weeps. The elements recoil at the destruction. Ivus must purge you from this world!"
Edited by Bendok on 12/6/2011 11:58 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Warrior
There is nothing fun about AV today. A mindless zerg to the enemy keep; 40 Alliance riding past 40 Horde. There is no pvp, just a race. I can understand why people didn't like 20 hour long AVs, but cmon. Something needs to change. At least make it so riding past the enemy is not beneficial whatsoever. Make quests matter. Turn ins, summoning Elemental lords. air support, etc. This is what made AV fun.
90 Tauren Shaman
/signed.

God I miss those battles. PvW is horrible.
100 Night Elf Druid
Removal of Alterac Blitz from the meta a sign of things to come? :D
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I always sort of cringe when I get AV, it's because it takes long, hey don't get me wrong, I would like to see it 'polished' to make people like OP happy it seemed fun that way it was, I just don't want to lose my Deserter buff when I leave a place like that. That being said, I will most certainly try and appreciate it when I do get it for what it was, thanks for the Post.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
The most awesome game of AV I had, I think I started and it was about an hour and a half in. This wasn't the purely vanilla multi-day AV, I think it was after the first round of modification. It was still pretty epic.

They were in our base working on the generals and all of us horde were back in the base on D, I believe they also had Ivus in our base. We managed to hold them off until the generals started to respawn, and then slowly - inch by inch, pushed them back. We got Lok summoned, and eventually (about 2 hours after I got in) pushed into their base and ultimately took the game. I remember that one quite vividly, it was the week after Adm. Adama pulled "the Adama maneuver" in BSG, and I paraphrased his speech when victory was all but assured:

Admiral Adama: This is the Admiral. You've heard the news. You know the mission. You should also know that there is only one way that this mission ends, and that's with the successful rescue of our people off of New Caprica. Look around you. Take a good look at the men and women that stand next to you. Remember their faces, for one day you will tell your children and your grandchildren that you served with such men and women as the universe has never seen. And together you accomplished a feat that will be told and retold down through the ages, and find immortality as only the Gods once knew. I'm proud to serve with you. Good hunting.
Edited by Kalliste on 12/11/2011 5:11 PM PST
85 Human Mage
I've been away from the forums for a while and I just skimmed Ghostcrawler's latest blog.

We are also taking some steps with Mists to encourage more crossover between PvP and PvE as the game once had

Looks like they might be open to considering Classic AV after all. Keep pushing folks, we can do this!

To be honest I liked Classic AV because it felt like war. Not capture the flag or stand near a flag in a farm, but war. And with the appropriate large amount of people, not 5v5 or 10v10

90 Troll Hunter
Reposting the Blizz questions for them to answer in case they skipped by it. Even though im positive they wont acknowledge this thread ever unless it involves moving or locking it.

To Blizzard: (Credit to Hezza and Khaylock)

1. Do you believe AV is working as intended?
2. Is there any incentive to change it?
3. Does it bother you that many people don't appear to play AV for fun anymore? (Instead, they play purely for high honor-per-hour or because they "got stuck" in AV using the random queue.)
4. What is your vision for AV?
5. How might you go about changing it?
6. How can we make compelling suggestions without feeling like we are just part of a tide that is too big to actually be heard in?

Please share your thoughts with us. Our side of the discussion has been constructive and thoughtful, yet you choose not to join in. We are patient, but not infinitely so.
Edited by Corbie on 12/12/2011 1:39 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]