How does everyone feel about the MoP...

85 Blood Elf Priest
FIX ROGUE
85 Troll Druid
11/23/2011 01:35 PMPosted by Garmheim
I think the talent changes proposed for MoP are awful and are an insult every current player. Please consider signing the petition to Blizzard here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/scrap-the-mists-of-pandaria-talent-changes/

\signed........we're up to 4 sigs!
Edited by Dudemanchu on 11/23/2011 2:02 PM PST
I've skimmed through the Rogue and Hunter talent changes, and my initial feelings for it are:

Hunter:
1) It's very early, and it shows.
2) haha, they still have misdirect at lvl 76. Hunters are terrible at using that skill, they should practice that from like lvl 20 on.
3) Some of these optional talents are no-brainers to pick.

Rogue:
1) This is a cluster *&#@.
2) Where'd my ruthless strikes go? Where's my deadly momentum?
3) Are they serious? I can maintain stealth for 3s after I start a fight, add 2 combo points to my target before I start, apply Vendetta (20% more damage), and spam a 30 yard melee attack? Am I even a rogue anymore? Went from leather warrior to leather hunter? How about giving me raptor strike, mongoose, wing clip... and shoot my daggers from a crossbow.
4) Some of these optional talents are no-brainers to pick.

I also play a DK tank, DK frost dps, druid healer, balance druid, and all forms of warrior. I'm not going to bother looking at them. You guys aren't even in the ballpark of something I may find fun with just these two classes.

I know it's early and all, but if someone like me can pick out big flaws, so can a lot of others, and that's bad, because you Blizz guys should be the experts and not have these huge flaws in at all. It's like fundamentals to balancing and rotations, not even fine tuning, basics aren't even there.
85 Orc Shaman
Personally I absolutely love the new talent trees. I have seen a lot of people saying over the past couple weeks that they felt like they were A) being totally limited by having two "must have" talents in the same tier, or that B) blizzard wasn't giving them any choice at all because the talents have no bearing on them (i.e. an extra dps ability for a tank or a movement speed increase for heals). What I think those people forget is that A) thats the POINT is to have to choose between two really cool abilities, and you just have to hope that blizz won't have gimped you and will compensate your dps elsewhere, and that B) you never had a choice before! Because as an elem shammy did I have a choice not to take fulmination, feedback, lava surge, or as a dk rime, sudden doom, or killing machine? NOT doing so would have gotten you kicked from regs. In summary, this system will be infinitely better.

That being said, since bashiok said he would like some feedback, I feel as though some of the shaman talents don't feel nearly as cool as other class'
15) looks good, I like the different root utilities being available cross specs
30) decent defensive cooldowns. THANK THE GODS FOR ASTRAL SHIFT BACK
45) interesting, decent, though i notice improved ghost wolf doesn't make it instant
60) making heals available cross specs is nice, the damage --> healing is a pretty cool tool
75) some fairly powerful spells, though I'm sure you'll tweak some more because I'm not sure how nature's swiftness will measure up with elem mastery for dps
90) HERE. This. I feel as though other classes get some ultra sweet new effects for their final tier, but we get a choice between a series of totem utilities. Not very cool. Dk's? Endless Winter, aoe stun and damage. Priests? Void Shift, switch health with your target. War? Avatar.... WHAT YES!
Basically, our 75 talents are more impressive than our 90's. I was hoping for something new and potentially game changing (Thunderfist, 4 sec stun? wink wink) but it's kind of anti-climatic.
90 Tauren Shaman
MAGES NEED MOAR BUFFS
85 Blood Elf Hunter
11/23/2011 01:35 PMPosted by Garmheim
I think the talent changes proposed for MoP are awful and are an insult every current player. Please consider signing the petition to Blizzard here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/scrap-the-mists-of-pandaria-talent-changes/

My favorite part about that petition blurb is how the last sentence contradicts the rest of the little speech. o_o)-b

There are so many inherent flaws in the "descending investment tree" talent setup that it's really for the best that it be abandoned.

I'd recommend that you and the few people of your mindset provide feedback so that the diversity that you're afraid of losing is addressed in future iterations of this far from final version of the new talent system and related spellchanges.

Wasting your time with knee-jerk petitions does not help you or anyone. Blizzard has stated before, for many years, that they ignore petitions. They want feedback. Screaming "I HATE IT" is not feedback. So give feedback, not sensationalist whining.
Edited by Picklepork on 11/23/2011 2:18 PM PST
Personally I absolutely love the new talent trees. I have seen a lot of people saying over the past couple weeks that they felt like they were A) being totally limited by having two "must have" talents in the same tier, or that B) blizzard wasn't giving them any choice at all because the talents have no bearing on them (i.e. an extra dps ability for a tank or a movement speed increase for heals). What I think those people forget is that A) thats the POINT is to have to choose between two really cool abilities, and you just have to hope that blizz won't have gimped you and will compensate your dps elsewhere, and that B) you never had a choice before! Because as an elem shammy did I have a choice not to take fulmination, feedback, lava surge, or as a dk rime, sudden doom, or killing machine? NOT doing so would have gotten you kicked from regs. In summary, this system will be infinitely better.

That being said, since bashiok said he would like some feedback, I feel as though some of the shaman talents don't feel nearly as cool as other class'
15) looks good, I like the different root utilities being available cross specs
30) decent defensive cooldowns. THANK THE GODS FOR ASTRAL SHIFT BACK
45) interesting, decent, though i notice improved ghost wolf doesn't make it instant
60) making heals available cross specs is nice, the damage --> healing is a pretty cool tool
75) some fairly powerful spells, though I'm sure you'll tweak some more because I'm not sure how nature's swiftness will measure up with elem mastery for dps
90) HERE. This. I feel as though other classes get some ultra sweet new effects for their final tier, but we get a choice between a series of totem utilities. Not very cool. Dk's? Endless Winter, aoe stun and damage. Priests? Void Shift, switch health with your target. War? Avatar.... WHAT YES!
Basically, our 75 talents are more impressive than our 90's. I was hoping for something new and potentially game changing (Thunderfist, 4 sec stun? wink wink) but it's kind of anti-climatic.

Void shift is actually a terrible talent since I can't see how it would work anywhere except a PVP scenario. Even then I'm not sure. You're switching health with a FRIENDLY target. That means you can give them your higher health pool and potentially die yourself, which means surprise, the group is down a healer. I'm assuming this is a little like LOH except bad. You heal whoever it is to maybe max HP while taking a huge risk yourself (Since when has Blizzard not been in love with their AoE damage boss fights?).The only good priest talent in that tier is vampiric dominance since it applies to healing as well as damage. The fake beacon with the priest sharing damage with the person they beacon is terrible as well. What is it with priests and the half-baked paladin spell copies?

I mean some of these talents look really cool on paper, but realistically they will not be used.

ETA: To sum it up, some of the priest spells require healing at the cost of your own healthpool, which seems stupid. Since when are priests meant to be half-tanks? Sure, I'm sure my group wants me to sacrifice myself so that they can continue the boss fights without a healer. Wait.
Edited by Alona on 11/23/2011 2:19 PM PST
80 Blood Elf Warrior
11/23/2011 10:48 AMPosted by Kaylah
Loving the priest ones. Shaman looks superbad though : /
90 Troll Shaman
The shaman talent tree is seeming pretty lackluster. There's a few new things, but nothing like OMG I can't wait. I get more a feeling of, oh great, I have to now CHOOSE 1 of those 2 talents that I already had for years? Gives a sense more of being able to do less. Most of the talents seem to me that they are meh cool, and will rarely get used. I don't feel excited at all.

PS: While a lot of our totems are going away, and HW And GHW being restro only, does that mean we are less of a hybrid class now? Now I gotta spam Healing surge to top myself off 30 times rather than 1 GHW?
Edited by Darqstalker on 11/23/2011 2:32 PM PST

So it doesn't bother you that these "totally awesome" abilities that a warrior gets at level 69 is now pushed back to level 90???

No?

Point is, the choice is a cool and powerful one (at the top of the tree), not a bleh one.

Like how I'm glad that chaos bolt is gone being how it got eclipsed by incinerate this expansion and was left to languish. I'd rather it be gone and be replaced with something I'm excited to get rather than a green colored incinerate with a CD that happens to proc replenishment.
100 Dwarf Hunter
The thing I'm saddest about is the increasing de-emphasis on Tree of Life for Druids. Running around back in Vanilla I always thought it was awesome having a tree healing for us, I just never got into healing back then, let alone Druid healing. Now that I have a druid that I love, I'm sad that I don't get to chill out in tree form all the time. Especially now that the model has been updated and is so significantly radical. And that de-emphasis just seems to be continuing in Pandaria, where it doesn't look to even be its own talent, but instead just shares the "temporarily empowered form" Incarnation talent.

I dunno, I'm sure this has been harped on on the Druid forms ever since they changed in in the first place. It was just the further marginalization of the form in the Pandaria talents that reminded me of it all.

I miss you, tree man.

/sniffle
Okay, I promise to stop giving negative feedback. The summation of the issue with some of the priest talents is that you should never need to cast a heal that comes at the expense of your own HP. That is detrimental as a whole to the healing dynamic as it could potentially cost a raid group one of the few healers they have. Would it maybe extend the life of a tank or a DPSer for a few seconds? Yes. Would the group then wipe because you void shifted to do it and died to a pulse AoE? Yes. Would it have all been for naught? Yes.

Healing should most certainly be about more difficult decisions during encounters. Should I shield? Should I renew? Should I guardian spirit? We think on the fly. Those should be the kinds of decisions focused on, as well as mana conservation and cooldowns. Not, "Should I almost die to save the tank."

If you want a class that makes sacrifices for healing, make it its own class. Please don't do that to priests or I will happily switch to my druid.
Edited by Alona on 11/23/2011 2:36 PM PST
91 Tauren Shaman
I understand everything is early, but two of the tier 1 talents for shaman apply only to abilities that aren't learned until way past level 15 (according to the current talent list)

Frost Shock (Frozen power) is currently listed as being level 22 and earthbind totem (earthgrab totem) is listed at 26.

Was this intentional?

I know if I were a new shaman, new to the game, I'd be all excited to get my first set of talents only to be extremely confused? Earthbind totem? Frost shock? Did I forget to do something?
I'm concerned with a few things.

In regards to mages specifically:
~Level 75 talents are 2 Fire spells and Slow. I'm a frost mage so the fire spells are out. Slow is useless to me because I can: ice them in place or polymorph. Unless there's a glyph that will make them more Frost-centric, I really don't see myself using them.
Frost/Fire/Arcane don't get special bonuses to abilities in their own school anymore. You don't need a +x% bonus to fire spells to keep fire from using Frostbolt or Arcane Blast anymore because Fire doesn't learn Frostbolt or Arcane Blast. So Blast Wave, Dragon's Breath, Scorch, etc. will do as much damage for Frost and Arcane as they do for Fire.

I understand that. But I'm a FROST mage and have no business casting fire spells. The Frost tree is all about the cold, chilling death. Now, if they can make a glyph that turns those fire spells into the icy counterparts, well, then I'll hop on board.

~Why is FFB being made a level 1 ability? It has a 2.5sec cast time versus the 1.5sec cast time of Frostbolt and Fireball? Also, Frostbolt is generally superior in terms of the damage output and slow ability it adds on, whereas FFB only gets used when it procs because it's an instant cast and costs no mana.
It's basically the "filler main ability" spell for you until you pick a spec and switch to AB/fireball/frostbolt, similar to Strike for Warriors and Primal Srike for Shaman. In light of its new role it will probably have a lower cast time at lower levels.

So instead of using FFB, they should use Frostbolt, Fireball and Arcane Blast as level 1 abilities. Provides a taste of each, the cast times and mana cost are okay by the time level 10 rolls around, the player will have an idea of which way they want to spec. FFB is best used as that one proc'ing ability.

~Where did Fingers of Frost go!? Where did Shattered Barrier and Reactive Barrier go!?

~Focus Magic is gone too. I liked that!
If you don't see it, it might be an error or it might be a talent with a name change (for example, shattered barrier is now Ice Ward at tier 1.) Or it might be legitimately gone (Reactive Barrier is probably out, but you can now grab Cauterize for your buttonless survivability cooldown needs.)

Ice Ward (which isn't a reaplacement for SB) is an alright talent, but no way I would chose that over RoF. Also, Cauterize is absolutely horrible - heals you for 60%, but then does 40% of your max health in damage to yourself (10% every 1.5sec over 6sec). This equates to a total of 20% health+...if you're lucky! At least with Reactive Barrier if our health drops below 50% our Ice Barrier pops up and keeps us safe (and should that barrier then get destroyed, Shattered Barrier freezes everyone in place allowing us to run out of range, hit Cold Snap and bring that barrier back up).

In general:
~For those characters that are not 85 when MoP comes out, what happens to their learned abilities? It seems the level requirements for some are changing drastically. Will they all of sudden "forget" this ability that had previously just removed the face of some poor bad guy?
If the level requirement went up you'll lose it, just like when they changed a lot of level requirements in Cata. It'll be awkward for people in the middle of the leveling process, but most likely better for the people who start out after the fact.

I'm starting to wonder if I should hurry up and power level my alts now before they go through a mid-level crisis.
100 Undead Mage
Though I will definitely have to try it before I make any judgments, I do not believe I will like the new talent system. If I don't play MoP, that will be why.

One of my favorite parts of WoW is the talent system we have, I love leveling an alt and being able to choose between the different talents at each tier, the talent system makes the game fun for me personally. I really like the complexity of it all, I just think that it is fun to be able to choose from so many different talents. It seems a ton of people are on board with the new system though so I guess I'll have to see how it goes before I decide if it's any fun for me or not.

85 Undead Mage
Oh my god, my main is a prot pally. I'm pumped for this too. And that they're making Repentance a 30-yard cast spell. It's amazing. And there's nothing better in that row :D
85 Draenei Death Knight
could we like get one every 10 levels instead of 15? I really liked wrath in that we got a point every time we leveled
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]