VP Changes to 4.3 PTR

Community Manager
We've made slight adjustments to the Valor Point (VP) drops on the 4.3 PTR which testers can now see. In both 10- and 25-player raids, bosses will now drop 100 VP each (down from 115 and 135 respectively). We’ll also be changing Firelands raid bosses to drop 50 VP per kill upon release of the patch.

This change is being made to further emphasize the desire to kill bosses for the items they drop. In the 4.3 raid, tier sets can only be earned from boss drops, and as Raid Finder will allow for just about anyone to get a chance to kill bosses, we think there will be less need for Valor overall. We want to try to match the lower desire for VP with a slightly slower acquisition rate.

We appreciate your thoughts and constructive discussion on how these changes may affect you and your guild once 4.3 is released.

We're also making changes to Conquest, recently announced, found here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3595670888
Edited by Bashiok on 11/17/2011 10:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
One step closer to eliminating welfare tier!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Any change to the cap of VP you can get?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
yuck :(
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
11/17/2011 09:03 AMPosted by Dribble
One step closer to eliminating welfare tier!
I, too, find it deeply personally troubling when people who are not me get things that are nice which I may own. Let's go tut into our tea and wear top hats while dismissing those damn, dirty 'casuals' and their welfare epics.

Bash, are we going to get off-set items for EVERY slot on VP vendors or are those who continue to be victimized by a capricious RNG going to continue wearing stuff they've pulled out of a dungeon in lieu of raid level gear?
Edited by Kohzere on 11/17/2011 9:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Having extra valor points kicking enables us to convert those points to conquest for pvp gear.

At the every least, remove the 4k caps.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
If you're trying to reduce the desire for VP items, stop putting our BiS gear there.

Edit: Wait, I understand now. You reduce the VP available from raids, and put tanking BiS items on the VP vendor. Thus forcing tanks to run LFD and shorten Q times.

Edited by Arielle on 11/17/2011 9:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
11/17/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Bashiok
and as Raid Finder will allow for just about anyone to get a chance to kill bosses

I think you may be vastly overestimating how well the Raid Finder is going to work when you're making these plans. Right now it mostly seems to be allowing people to wipe on Morchok once or twice before the calls of "U ALL BADS" and the ragequits begin.
Reply Quote
11/17/2011 09:12 AMPosted by Eridan
Right now it mostly seems to be allowing people to wipe on Morchok once or twice before the calls of "U ALL BADS" and the ragequits begin.

That's not surprising. The PTR is full of lookie loos who merely want to check things out, and aren't necessarily taking the prospect of killing a boss seriously. Also, there's less motivation to actually down a boss for their shiny loot when you "can't take it with you."

I think we're going to have to see what these LFR raids are like on live realms before we can really judge the way the community is going to act in them.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
I thought one of the incentives to do 25 man over 10 was to get more points, so cap faster for the week?

Wow, that idea didn't even last the expansion it was put in for, did it?
Edited by Meia on 11/17/2011 9:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Now I won't have to decide between VP items and buying heirlooms.
Reply Quote
21 Night Elf Druid
11/17/2011 09:00 AMPosted by Bashiok
we think there will be less need for Valor overall. We want to try to match the lower desire for VP with a slightly slower acquisition rate.

What about the fact that once again there is a lack of Spirit cloth for priests in the raid? Current loot tables show only 1 piece of Spirit Cloth dropping in all of Dragon Soul (compared to 4 pieces of Spirit Plate and 3 pieces of both Spirit Mail and Leather). This leaves many of our slots to be filled in with VP gear which already puts us behind the gearing curve of the other healing classes... now you tell us it will take even longer to acquire the necessary points?

We lived through this with Firelands... I still do not fully understand why we have to deal with it yet again.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I thought one of the incentives to do 25 man over 10 was to get more points, so cap faster for the week?

Wow, that idea didn't even last the expansion it was put in for, did it?

Our goal remains to make 25s slightly more rewarding to help offset the logistical challenges inherit in 25-player raiding, but we didn’t think extra Valor was a strong incentive for those players since they tend to run out of uses for Valor pretty quickly, which will be even more true in 4.3.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Priest
I agree with Kohzere and Eridan.

There needs to be better end-game content/activity choices than simply beating one's head against the RNG for gear pieces (PvE) -- assuming one even has the insane number of hours available to complete that many raids.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
It seems to be one announcement contradicts the spirit of the other.

On the one hand (valor), you're saying - no guys you have to actually do the highest content in order to get the highest rewards. On the other hand (conquest), you're saying - no guys you don't have to do the highest content - just spam random battlegrounds and brute force your way to the highest gear.

I'd like to ask that you clarify the reason for these two contradictory messages - both announced simultaneously no less. =/
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I don't believe that there is a move away from VP gear when the vendors have a ton of items for each class/spec outside of tier gear.

I think the real reason for the nerf is Blizzard wants this patch to last a long time and when people get geared and kill Deathwing, a lot of the will take a hiatus (and cancel subscription) until Mists of Pandaria comes out.

If you can slow down the rate at which people acquire gear, you keep them playing that much longer.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
zZq
I for one am excited about these changes, (and 4.3 in general) these days I don't have the time to commit to a set raid schedule, and my schedule is so erratic I can't really commit to a time to meet up with people to PvP. I am mostly online at like, 1-3 in the morning. Thus the option to be able to grind out quality gear on my own time is awesome. Will take longer, but it gives me a chance. Thanks Blizzard, from a veteran yet casual player.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]