SW:TOR

90 Gnome Mage
So I was told to post here the reason I am quitting WoW. Read on if you care. It's a cool story and I'm a bro.

So I just got done with a hardcore beta weekend on SW:TOR. My wife even went out of town. I played 4 different classes up to levels 10-16, both Republic and Empire (my main will be a Sith Inquisitor).

I'd been up in the air about which MMO to play once SW:TOR comes out, and this weekend's beta was sure to aid in that decision. I had high expectations and hopes for the game, and was wondering how this beta weekend would go.

I was completely impressed. From the smoothness of play, to the compelling storylines, to the fantastic voice acting - everything was done extremely well. I cannot wait for release.

I love WoW, and the past four years has been a blast - I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. I am the guild leader of a 656-character guild (my term is up on December 1st anyways), with friends I've known for years, some of whom will be switching games with me.

Blizzard - thank you SO MUCH for the effort and the passion that you pour into this game. It is truly a work of art, and I've loved playing it. I've had tons of laughs and fond memories over the years that I will not forget. I'll miss you and I wish you well.

To anyone reading this - your are playing a fantastic game in WoW. I hope you all continue to enjoy the game for as long as you can.

- Flame

P.S.: No, you cannot have my stuff. It has been given to my guild :D
Reply Quote
55 Orc Death Knight
It warms me to see that you're not flaming WoW, but just choosing which you enjoy more.

I sincerely hope you have fun in TOR. I have also been playing the beta, and I am just as impressed as you, though I will be maintaining my WoW account while adding TOR as well.

See you around!
Edited by English on 11/28/2011 10:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Smoothness of play?

The indoor areas were lagged from player activity.

What time was there a low enough player count to achieve this?!

I waited till 3 in the morning and STILL got lag!

So unfair. Stupid east coast.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I hope the game does well, and that blizzard copies the bits that works. Kinda like when WaR was coming. If wow hadn't taken half of war's ideas, I wonder how things would be different.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Smoothness of play?

Yikes - I didn't experience this at all! So, so smooth - and my server was marked "heavy" when I started, and "full" by the end of the day.

The only time my fps was unacceptable was in a certain area with a ton of dust, and even then it wasn't unplayable, and I was able to finish my combat quest with little difficulty.
Edited by Flamethrøwer on 11/28/2011 10:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
43 Goblin Rogue
I couldn't agree more. I also am leaving WoW after 4 years to play SW:TOR. The beta this weekend just put me over the top. I entered the first flashpoint (the Black Talon) and was blown away. I realized how much potential TOR has. That being said, my time in WoW has been wonderful! It really is a great mmo that I KNOW will continue to thrive.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
11/28/2011 10:50 PMPosted by Grinaxxus
I hope the game does well, and that blizzard copies the bits that works. Kinda like when WaR was coming. If wow hadn't taken half of war's ideas, I wonder how things would be different.

I hope so too. MMOs can all learn from each other. A company without competition gets lazy. Iron sharpens iron.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Smoothness of play?

Yikes - I didn't experience this at all! So, so smooth - and my server was marked "heavy" when I started, and "full" by the end of the day.

The only time my fps was unacceptable was in a certain area with a ton of dust, and even then it wasn't unplayable, and I was able to finish my combat quest with little difficulty.

Meh. I don't care. I'm getting the game anyway. Plus there will be enough servers to thin out the playerbase.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
It warms me to see that you're not flaming WoW, but just choosing which you enjoy more.

I sincerely hope you have fun in TOR. I have also been playing the beta, and I am just as impressed as you, though I will be maintaining my WoW account while adding TOR as well.

See you around!

Thank you friend. Honestly, if it were not for SW:TOR coming out, I'd still be happily playing WoW. I just can't justify two MMO subs - from either a financial or a time standpoint.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I'll try it out sooner or later, but not with a new patch around the corner. I'll be stressed for time as it is.

But after playing the first game, falling in love with the old republic in a way that I never did for the original starwars, I can't just skip this game :P
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
11/28/2011 10:49 PMPosted by Deviltony
and again wow looses more subs lol.... oh cataclysm and mop how you are killing wow lol

Is that why subscription numbers are down? Because, Blizzard is loosing those subscribers? Upon what poor force are they being loosed?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I will be able to keep 2 subs going. Got the annual pass from wow and this beta weekend has be greatly looking forward to SWTOR.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I just got done playing the SW:ToR beta weekend and I am now left with a withdrawal syndrome that I haven't experienced from a video game in many many years.
I've enjoyed my time here in WoW and put in a lot of dedication, but its time to move on to much bigger and better things.
Edited by Hèctic on 11/28/2011 10:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
OMG I can't even begin to say how refreshing swtor is, very little lag,great stories,epic battles.
I am won over switching to swtor asap.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
SW:TOR was excellent, and very refreshing, very much looking forward to it. I've signed up for the Annual pass so I'm unsure if I'll get to play at launch (Australia's launch is delayed anyway) but I can't wait! :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/28/2011 10:50 PMPosted by Grinaxxus

If Blizzard worked harder on immersion and made questing more enjoyable wow would be allot more fun, I was doing a series of quests as a sith assassin in ToR that was focused around infiltrating a republic stronghold and it kind of hit me that it really felt like I was playing the mission out the way it the class would go about sabotaging a base and taking out high priority targets, it was actually really fun to do quests in that game not just looking for the next level up.

I preordered ToR but I plan to keep playing wow because so far I enjoy both games allot.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I've been in the Beta since May. I decided to accept the Beta Weekend invite (which ended the long-term beta privileges, iirc), as it would let me play with a larger number of people.

My latency never ventured north of 68 ms, even on a wireless router three rooms away. My framerate was pegged at 60 (I keep Vertical Sync on) the entire time I played, but then, I have a powerful machine (Overclocked i7 2600k, 16gb DDR3-1600, 2x GTX580s in SLi), so that wasn't terribly surprising.

I was surprised that there was almost no trolling at all in General chat while I played on a full server. Most people were helpful, or just playfully bantering with others.

Reminder: Mechanized travel is for official business only.

11/28/2011 10:58 PMPosted by Disassociate
By the way, Sith intro cinematic, out of control amazing.

I much preferred the Republic intro cinematic, cause Satele Shan is a bamf. Girl can throw down!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]