No more achievements like 250,000 HKs

20 Human Warlock
There are some achievements out there that stack for awhile.

Get X pets. 10 points
Now Y pets. 20 points (but you only get 10 more since it's going to 20 from 10).

And so on.

And throughout the expansions they are going to keep adding more achievements like this. 200 pets will come out sometime, and 250, and so forth.

I'm just saying that some achievements need to hit a wall eventually. A great example is 250k HKs. That's insane in the first place. Anyone who has that many HKs is someone whose played their toon since vanilla, is a hardcore PvPer in a serious PvP only guild, has multiple people playing their account, and/or just has way too much free time to get there. I highly doubt many, if any, toons made during mid-late TBC are close to it.

Achievements are fun to farm up and do. It's nice to hit that final wall of achievements and say I hit it, and some achievements should later be given further progression. Some shouldn't.

I'd really cry if I ever saw something like 500,000 HKs. I only know of one player on my server who is close to that, and guess what? Like 4 people play him, and he held Grand Marshal for 6 straight months in vanilla.

edit: Oh, and he had 100 victories in TB before February.
Edited by Dotfeardead on 11/24/2011 9:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Decimal from Moon Guard is a serious achievement collector who rerolled a fresh Goblin upon Cata launch to the tune of 13k achievement points within the last year, and that character is only at 74k HKs.

As someone who also recently rerolled and is collecting achievements, I support the OP. The gold collecting achievements, for example, up to a certain point, just reward you for stuff you're doing anyway. Past that point, and from what I've read, it becomes a slog where you underman old raids week after week just to collect boss gold drops. I expect to collect a lot of HKs just over the course of becoming a serious PVP player, but getting to the point where I'm one day a Gladiator/Battlemaster/Arena Master and still having hundreds of thousands of HKs to grind out doesn't sound appetizing.

I'd be curious to see a Bloodthirsty post here and give their perspective, though. Olichius?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
11/24/2011 09:36 PMPosted by Favlos
The gold collecting achievements, for example, up to a certain point, just reward you for stuff you're doing anyway.

But why only have achievements for doing stuff you'd do anyway? Having some milestone markers is nice, but there should be something out of reach to compel you to keep going.
Edited by Rankin on 11/24/2011 10:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
11/24/2011 10:36 PMPosted by Rankin
The gold collecting achievements, for example, up to a certain point, just reward you for stuff you're doing anyway.

But why only have achievements for doing stuff you'd do anyway? Having some milestone markers is nice, but there should be something out of reach to compel you to keep going.

I see your point, but I know that for me, personally, the multitude of raid/pvp achievements that require exceptionally strong or unusual play fit this role pretty well (moreso the pvp than the raid ones; pvp ones scale with you, whereas raid achievements get trivialized over time).

What I was trying to say, and I think didn't come out well, is that it creates a bit of a weird feeling when some of the milestone achievements for gold and hks come naturally over time and the others require exceptional effort (farming undermanned raids week in and week out or forcing turtles in AV to farm HKs) to actively "work on". The old model of Wrath emblem achievements (where there were milestones for each emblem type) would have turned out this way; can you imagine how crappy it would feel to have to farm Naxx25 and Uld10 over and over for Emblems of Valor? The current Conquest/Valor point collection achievements don't have the same feel because of their respective weekly caps providing inherent limits to the achievements' grindy natures.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd be all for them continuing the so called "impossible" achievement chains(hks,mounts,pets) when they're all atleast decently challenging. Achievements are not forced on anyone you do not need to do them if you feel it's too hard or too time consuming so why not continue the chains to let people actually get some sort of reward through collecting or mass bg queing for hks.

http://www.guildox.com/go/g.asp?a=12&r=&w=

Posting that for the worldwide hk/achievement point ranking to quiet the people who think it's so called "impossible" and i'm sure if you talked to any of them i have no doubt most would agree some sort of reward should be added past 250k.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
I have just hit 139k.

I had 50ish k when achievements were introduced.

I worked on Battle Master, got it.
I worked on WG, got it, sometimes i could get 500kills in 1 WG.
And then I had 11k more kills to grind till I hit 100k achievement.

Then I worked on Gilneas, Twin Peaks and Tol B.

I hit 123k.

Arena and RBG award very very small amounts of kills. Some RBGs we have been in see you get maybe 10 kills for the full game.

As of 4.2, today. I have 40 achievements left to work on, and this is one of them.

I have 139k kills. I don't see me getting 250k any time soon.

My tips.
Team work, NO. Stick with the group and don't get killed.
Play like a wimp, sit in the back with the casters and retreat and use them as fodder.
IoC has the best kills for time.
If there are 2 groups fighting, IE front of ally base and hanger, sit in between and ride around in circles.

Sad but true, blizzard doesnt reward team work, nor does it reward hk's zone wide.
AV, sit with group.
AB, sit at BS.
WSG, stay in mid field.
EoTS, stay where the flag is.
TP, stay in mid field.
Gilneas, stay inbetween all 3 bases.
IoC, if you get hanger sit outside or inside the base in a safe spot.

Good Luck,
Dirka
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
11/25/2011 01:14 AMPosted by Dirkadirka
As of 4.2, today. I have 40 achievements left to work on, and this is one of them.

Happy hunting.
Reply Quote
20 Human Warlock
11/24/2011 10:36 PMPosted by Rankin

Something out of reach is fine, and dandy, but that doesn't mean that they should be doing stuff like over doubling the difference between 1 achievement and the next. Even something like the daily quests is kind of depressing. 1,000 to 2,500 means you have to do 25 dailies every day for 60 days straight to get it as fast as possible. For anyone who is casual or just has too much of a life where they can't always play every day that means you're probably looking at around half a year at least to get it done.

If anything big achievements like 250k HKs need to be turned to FoS with titles, but not part of the overall achievement process.

11/24/2011 10:52 PMPosted by Wilhelm
Posting that for the worldwide hk/achievement point ranking to quiet the people who think it's so called "impossible"

No one is denying it's possible. Not even close. My entire point is that ANYONE who has hit or grossly over has been around since Vanilla and probably had multiple people playing their account.

I will go back to what I said about that particular person on my server: He held Grand Marshal for 6 months straight, has 465,000 HKs, got 100 victories in TB before February (do you realize that basically means he played TB a good 4-5 times a day EVERY day up until then?)...and has, or at least had, FOUR people playing him.

The only person who could attempt to compete with him for HKs is someone who made a toon around TBC and dedicated himself purely to PvP and random BG grinding. Anyone who would want to try to get to his HK level from beyond that expac had to have multiple people playing their account.
Reply Quote
I have 250k kills. I have never botted nor shared my account with anyone. I never thought of this achievement as a grind, I just like to pvp more than anything else in the game.

So to address your concerns I say this. Stop being whiny girls, just because there's an achievement you can't get. I don't care if you feel its too hard or too much of a grind or that you decided that Goblin was the way to go.

I'm actually happy there's an achievement to people that only play one toon, rather than 5 different alts. If you don't like, THEN DON'T GO FOR IT.

To the cry baby who said, "Oh I'll quit if they release another 500k achievement" I say good, your a baddie, don't let the door hit you.

I PVP b/c I enjoy watching horde fall over. I have pocket healers and multiple T2 DPS that come with me. If you baddies wanna cry about that, feel free. But get off the forums with your complaining.

It's an achievement, you don't need it. So if you don't like it, don't do it.
Reply Quote
20 Human Warlock
I have 250k kills. I have never botted nor shared my account with anyone. I never thought of this achievement as a grind, I just like to pvp more than anything else in the game.

1) Sup Vanilla toon. You fell into one of my categories I listed before. And hell, you said you've been dedicated to PvE

2) I always find it funny when people says stuff like they didn't cheat. Like they'd admit it on the forums if they did.

However, I do actually believe you. Been around since vanilla, and you really don't PvE save for killing nerfed firelands, looks like a little bit of Ulduar raid content when it was in the ICC era. Pretty much no TBC content save for the beginner stuff.

Perfect example of someone whose going to get the achievement, and for that I thank you for posting and pretty much proving my point.

THREE years after achievements were introduced, and PvPing since around 2004 or so you are finally getting the achievement after about 7 years of PvP

THAT'S A GREAT ACHIEVEMENT TO PUT IN. What's more is, it's kind of "haha funny" because 250k is still just worth another 10 points.

You realize that if they did put in a 500k achievement you'd probably be working on it till 2018?

3) You have 247k :<
Edited by Dotfeardead on 11/25/2011 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Fellow bloodthirsty here. I think 250k is a bit too much but it is completely do-able and far from impossible. I remember when the achievement was first announced (around September last year I think) I started planning doing 500 HK's a day and I marked on my calendar when I would get it (It was march then I got delayed). Attended every WG and TB battle that I could on my server. And on my free time just go to AV and try and convince people to D Galv for a turtle match. xD But you don't have to afk in games (and I highly don't recommend it either).

The thing is I felt extremely accomplished when I got this achievement and I've been using it ever since knowing that only one other person on my server has this title. Perhaps I just like being a unique snowflake sometimes. I think though that the achievement probably should've been 150k or 175k.

People compare this to the 100k looted achievement (which I am still working on) but the thing is this achievement gives a pretty cool title and it shouldn't be too too far out of reach.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I dunno. I guess we have different opinions on what is easy. I'm not exactly the solo artist (My class and just me in general) and I enjoy pvping a lot more so it just didn't seem grindy and it just felt easier. But if you do all those raids every week that's a lot of time and that time can be used for HK farming if you want to later on. =)
Reply Quote
20 Human Warlock
11/25/2011 02:10 PMPosted by Olichius
I think 250k is a bit too much but it is completely do-able and far from impossible.

But yet again we have another person from vanilla who just barely has it. This is pretty much my complaint here. It's a 7 year achievement in the making.

I'm not really saying take this achievement away. I'm saying that some achievements, this one included, need to hit a wall and for the HK achievement in particular: 250k needs to be it. TBH I think 100k should have been the wall from the start. That's a lot of PvP even for a vanilla player. My main PvP toon stopped serious PvP during WoTLK and I only hit 40k. If I had kept up with PvPing with him I might be seeing over 100k right now.

For another reference there is a player in Vodka, Tigerlady, who is pretty much on her last like 5 achievements (She has 7 left, but two will be obtained in 4.3 because of the change to TB veteran). She has been around since Vanilla, but a hardcore raider over PvP. She is still sitting at 150k PvP kills, yet has pretty much every other PvP achievement out there.
Reply Quote
strange, my pvp stats havent updated, same as a few other achievements I got this week. Doesn't matter, you get my drift and should know I'm there.

You are right about everything else. I pve very casually and only toward the end of PvP seasons as you pointed out.

That said, I hope there is a 500k kill achieve. I won't argue any more with you, I just enjoy being one of the very few people to have the achieve. Especially if it's something I would get anyway just due to the way I play.

Nonetheless, there are opposing opinions to the OP. If they were to make this achieve, say, account-wide, I would be extremely disappointed.

Reply Quote
20 Human Warlock
11/25/2011 03:57 PMPosted by Boombooms
Doesn't matter, you get my drift and should know I'm there.

Right, I wasn't being serious.

Nonetheless, there are opposing opinions to the OP. If they were to make this achieve, say, account-wide, I would be extremely disappointed.

Ya know, just saying...even if it was account wide the title would still be just as rare. Maybe 4-5 people per serve would have it, but that's about it. I mean seriously. Like I said 250k HKs has taken you SEVEN YEARS to do. It really doesn't matter if they changed mains every pvp seasons and had PvP'd since vanilla. Most hardcore PvPers since vanilla probably have around 150k-300k regardless of if it's on 1 toon or 10. I haven't looked to see how many people have more than that, but the only one I personally know is that one druid on our server with 465k HKs...and once again: 4 people play him. I may actually go see if there's a site that keeps tally of that, just for fun. Hell, I bet someone has over 500k tbh.

That said, I hope there is a 500k kill achieve. I won't argue any more with you, I just enjoy being one of the very few people to have the achieve. Especially if it's something I would get anyway just due to the way I play

Like I said: considering it took you 7 years to get 250k...you're basically looking at 2018 for 500k HKs. Mark your calender.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
It definitely doesn't take you 7 years to do it. I started playing at the very end of BC and I do mean very end. I dinged 70 3 weeks before Wrath came out and only pvped starting in Wrath. And I got my 250k achievements back in April this year if you looked at the achievement date. So like 2 and a half years. That's no where near 7. Like I said. not impossible
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Death Knight
I found a website, worldofwargraphs.com, that shows WoW stats. According, the top ranked arena player only has ~123k HKs. This is an acheivement that doesn't take skill or teamwork, just a lot of time spent playing WoW.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]