4.3 PVE Mage top DPS spec!

85 Worgen Mage
It's true that comes 4.3 Fire will be top dps spec or it will going to be arcane? I have not tried it in the PTR.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
Based on the sims, fire is looking to be at the top with arcane a little bit behind.

#sadfrostmage
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Don' t know about you but i am sticking with arcane. With arcane i can always properly micro manage and control to ensure fairly consistent dps. Fires rng is just too much for me. Also the T13 4piece looks to be more to the benefit of arcane.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
11/28/2011 01:30 PMPosted by Eleveneleven
Don' t know about you but i am sticking with arcane. With arcane i can always properly micro manage and control to ensure fairly consistent dps. Fires rng is just too much for me. Also the T13 4piece looks to be more to the benefit of arcane.

Just hope RNG (random boss abilities forcing you to move) doesn't mess up your evocate. That's the worst random thing that can happen to any mage spec.

That's where knowing how to play arcane matters. Sometimes you extend/shorten a burn slightly to evo safely between boss mechanics.

Also the 4p will be godly, but so many mages are accustomed to the 10% reduction atm, that the increase to mana during AP (especially with a 75% uptime) will be alot more difficult to mana for any Arcane Mage that isn't running SoW.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
You can prevent every mechanic from interrupting your Evocate... Just hold off until the mechanic is used. :P

I'm referring to specifically the issue with SoW Arc Mages and their ridiculous minute-long burns with T12 4pc. With the move to T13, mana costs goes up thus shortening the burn. Once SoW is replaced, burns will get even shorter.

All I'm saying is that shorter burns is generally a better thing. Getting interrupted mid-burn is just as bad as getting interrupted mid-Evocate for DPS.

SoW isn't getting replaced for Arcane Mages... it's BiS as it's scaling is going to be put into overdrive with even more int (Larger mana pools) and a 75% uptime on Arcane Power.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
I'll be going fire for the patch for two reasons. I like fire more than arcane, and the amount of movement that is going to be required of me on these bosses would make playing arcane a nightmare. Hagara's ice phase will make arcane mages weep.

edit- Also, I don't have a SoW and I don't really feel like forcing me guild to farm Sinestra to get one for me.
Edited by Wyln on 11/28/2011 3:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I'm staying Arcane for tonight since I'm used to it and then reforging for Fire for the second night, or for our Firelands day, sticking with it after that.

If we get to Hagara tonight I will probably request a break to go reforge. :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Staying frost, I still usually do better than our arcane/fire mage anyway.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
[quote="36396379917"]
Just hope RNG (random boss abilities forcing you to move) doesn't mess up your evocate. That's the worst random thing that can happen to any mage spec.

Except fire and frost can just switch to mage armor for a bit and pretend nothing ever happened. Losing 3-5% crit is nothing.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
^^ I got killed/battle rez'd by a warlock just after an Evocation once... I was a sad arcane panda.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
Depends on the fight and what your role is really,
1st boss, arcane if you are not on crystals, fire if you are
2nd boss, Fire lots of movement and AoE
3rd boss, either works well
4th boss, fire WAY to much moving for arcane
5th boss, arcane if you are there to DPS, fire if you are made to stay during hour of twilight (sucks to be you)
6th boss, fire, way to much moving and adds, and AoE, and !@#$ going on
7th boss, arcane and arcane only, you dont want LB going off here
8th boss, unknown to me.. I would think fire from all the jumping and such.

So, Really, be prepared to have both specs ready to go for raids!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
you cant really have both specs ready for raids - each one prioritizes stats differently.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]