4.3 Battleground Conquest Rewards

26 Worgen Rogue
I will enjoy this change. I like the change in mindset that the gear itself shouldn't be the exclusive part of the game. The gear is the means to an end. The exclusive part of the game is what you accomplish. Whether it be your place on the arena/battleground leader boards and your PVP rating or your position on your servers/world PVE ladder board and the mounts, titles, etc you get from defeating the toughest encounters.

One of the toughest ideas to come to grips with in previous expansions started Season 3 with rating required gear that made you more powerful once you reached that rating. It seemed the same as giving Jimmy Johnson a faster car every time he won a title, etc. So if the players with the best skills also had exclusive rights on the best gear, how does anyone else stand a chance to compete with them? Kinda makes a joke out of the whole PVP system.

So anyway, I'm glad PVP is gear is being more balanced, and I can definitely see me running more of my toons through battlegrounds when I'm looking for something to do.
85 Dwarf Rogue
This change is great, and will probably get me to pick up my daggers again for patch 4.3.
14 Worgen Druid
I agree with this change for one simple reason: PvP should not have an artificial gear barrier, and this change largely removes it.
85 Human Paladin
In the spirit of allowing players to play the content how they want, what about adding a change that allows (after being conquest capped) you to gain honor from doing the arena? My wife and I enjoyed doing the arena together a lot, but didn't always enjoy doing battlegrounds.. I think this would be a great change for people like us, who like depending on each other instead of a whole team to get honor points :D
85 Blood Elf Paladin
11/17/2011 09:06 AMPosted by Urge
So everyone will be in PVP gear.

everyone isn't in pvp gear already?
77 Human Priest
LOVE THIS CHANGE!
90 Human Mage
Am I the only one who thinks this change will promote more people to bot battlegrounds?

It is bad enough the Alliance blow when it comes to non-rated battlegrounds. I for one play both Horde and Alliance. From my years of experience the Alliance don't seem to get any better which is mind boggling. I'm sure I will not be alone in noticing an increase in suspicious activity while in non-rated battlegrounds.

I am all for anything to get more people to PvP as it is the only reason I still play this game.
Maybe it will have a very good outcome, which I hope. I don't see why this change was actually needed though. :/

90 Blood Elf Warlock
This will definitely break down the incentives to do Rated BG's, and is contrary to the other announcement about VP.

I get 400 points for a rated BG win, and, by design of the MMR system, my intended win rate is 50/50. Matches tend to run nearly the full duration. I will say an average of 30 minutes. So that's an average of 200 pts per 30 minutes or 400 pts per hour.

On the other hand, if I take five of us and queue for a random, I can almost guarantee a win. But let's say I would win 3 out of 4. These games tend to be quick - maybe 10 minutes each on average. That's 50 points x 6 = 300 @ 75% = 225 pts per hour.

Yes, Rated BG's are more efficient, but not a ton in relationship to how much time I need to cap. Where is the payout for all the additional skill and logistical work required?

PvP shouldn't have a gear difference between the good and the bad. I'm better than the vast majority of people in games, and I'd rather defeat them because I'm better, not because I "earned" better equipment. On my server it's nearly impossible to get a RBG group together unless you're in one of the few huge guilds (I'd rather be in my small family and friend guild) and I haven't enjoyed arena since BC. Why should someone be punished, regardless of how good or bad they are, for not enjoying or having access to certain parts of the game?

This is the PvP equivalent of LFR tool in PvE. It's a great change, but I still wonder what the point of honor points will be. It would be foolish to buy honor gear.

Am I the only one who thinks this change will promote more people to bot battlegrounds?

It is bad enough the Alliance blow when it comes to non-rated battlegrounds. I for one play both Horde and Alliance. From my years of experience the Alliance don't seem to get any better which is mind boggling. I'm sure I will not be alone in noticing an increase in suspicious activity while in non-rated battlegrounds.

I am all for anything to get more people to PvP as it is the only reason I still play this game.
Maybe it will have a very good outcome, which I hope. I don't see why this change was actually needed though. :/

I play Horde and Alliance too and the difference in my win rate doesn't seem to be big. Alliance has more healers, that's for sure. I don't think botting will be any bigger of a problem than it already is, and it shouldn't matter who gets gear in PvP. As I said to the other quote, gear should be irrelevant in PvP, and this opens the door for more people to get the good gear.

Also, remember that Alliance for some reason tends to have more players that only focus on arena or RBGs because of the lack of gear incentive to do regular BGs, and this change might bring more of those good Alliances players back into them.
Edited by Itizamuh on 11/17/2011 9:51 AM PST
85 Human Mage
Nice for my alts! Very Welcome change.
26 Worgen Rogue
11/17/2011 09:33 AMPosted by Itizamuh
Great change. Only question is, what good are honor points now? Just to buy mats?

Depends on your level of gear really. I only started PVPing again about half way through Cata, and I've been extremely casual about it. I have a Rogue in mostly full Vicious, with 2 or 3 blues left. For 4.3, I'll replace the blues first with Ruthless (I assume), then I'll use Honor to purchase Ruthless for the remaining slots with Vicious. As I accumulate Conquest Points, I'll likely replace Vicious set pieces first, etc.

As I've noted in my previous post, I have a few classes that have been enjoyable to PVP on. Any/all of them will benefit from honor.

In a nutshell, it's the same thing raiders have gone through each patch. My Hunter will not be able to use Justice Points to upgrade any gear in 4.3, but I'll still run 5 mans for Valor. My DK & Paladin that I keep raid ready both have several slots not at 378 yet and will both benefit from Justice Points.
85 Troll Druid
As much as I hate to be the one given an inch and ask for a mile in return, it seems the daily conquest points could use the same treatment as valor points from random heroics.

Allowing you to get the conquest points at your leisure each week with a cap of 7 times. Otherwise we are kinda back to the old valor system where you feel obligated to do your random every single day of the week, while just swapping to a new alt every time you win.

I can already forsee doing bgs in a small guild group where you constantly reform the group as everyone keeps alt hopping. Just makes more sense to be able to run a few in a row as the same group without feeling penalized for it.
85 Goblin Rogue
Love the change personally R(andom)BG's have always been my preferred form of PVP

Althought the botting business is about to skyrocket me thinks
85 Undead Rogue
11/17/2011 09:09 AMPosted by Ogumel
Hmm... interesting. Wonder what will happen with this change.

I hope it results in more Horde invading Stormwind, and more Alliance invading Orgrimmar, due to more people being able to get better gear. Now maybe the guards would hit for 4,000 instead of 6,000?
90 Blood Elf Warlock
11/17/2011 09:49 AMPosted by Psynister
Great change. Only question is, what good are honor points now? Just to buy mats?

Depends on your level of gear really. I only started PVPing again about half way through Cata, and I've been extremely casual about it. I have a Rogue in mostly full Vicious, with 2 or 3 blues left. For 4.3, I'll replace the blues first with Ruthless (I assume), then I'll use Honor to purchase Ruthless for the remaining slots with Vicious. As I accumulate Conquest Points, I'll likely replace Vicious set pieces first, etc.

As I've noted in my previous post, I have a few classes that have been enjoyable to PVP on. Any/all of them will benefit from honor.

In a nutshell, it's the same thing raiders have gone through each patch. My Hunter will not be able to use Justice Points to upgrade any gear in 4.3, but I'll still run 5 mans for Valor. My DK & Paladin that I keep raid ready both have several slots not at 378 yet and will both benefit from Justice Points.

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. Honor will still be gained faster, and the conquest point gaining would be extremely slow for people who rarely PvP. For me though, all I do is PvP, and I severely lack in the gold department, so no way will I waste what little gold I have on gems and enchants for honor gear. :)
86 Goblin Rogue
Welcome change. I enjoy BG's quite a bit, but it seems like less when I've completely kitted myself out in honor gear. With this change I'll happily pick the rogue up again and have at it. Thanks Bashiok!
In patch 4.3 we’re changing the daily battleground (BG) to reward 100 conquest for a win (up from 25). In addition, every non-rated BG that you win will also give you 50 conquest. There is no limit to how many BGs you can run this way, up to the normal conquest cap.

Our intent is to start acting even more on our Mists of Pandaria philosophies of encouraging players to approach the content they want to, how they want to, and be able to work toward meaningful player progression. Arenas and rated battlegrounds will still earn Conquest faster, but with this change you can now work your way up by running normal BGs, if you so choose.

Cool beans.
85 Goblin Shaman
In patch 4.3 we’re changing the daily battleground (BG) to reward 100 conquest for a win (up from 25). In addition, every non-rated BG that you win will also give you 50 conquest. There is no limit to how many BGs you can run this way, up to the normal conquest cap.

Our intent is to start acting even more on our Mists of Pandaria philosophies of encouraging players to approach the content they want to, how they want to, and be able to work toward meaningful player progression. Arenas and rated battlegrounds will still earn Conquest faster, but with this change you can now work your way up by running normal BGs, if you so choose.

This is GREAT! Thank you!!
85 Human Rogue
Excellent change! Battleground PVP has always been my favorite and I disliked having to schedule even more of my in game time around arena for my main and favorite 2 alts, so I am extremely happy with this!
I love this for 2 reasons:

1. It encourages more skilled people to run random BGs, which will lead to better competition

and more importantly...

2. It will encourage winning MUCH more. Currently once you've done your first random win for the day, the honor difference between winning and losing isn't that great. Combined with the fact that once people are geared up from honor (first 1-3 weeks of a patch for PvPers), there is no incentive to win other than the fact of winning.

This leads often to the best geared players just worrying about HKs and GY camping instead of playing the game. Notice you can only get conquest with a WIN!
90 Human Warrior
Thank you guys...really. Thank you.

Great news to read first thing in the morning...with the lifestyle and social changes I have experienced in the recent year I just don't have the time like I used to commit to rated battlegrounds and my interest in arenas didn't even live to see the end of Burning Crusade. With this I can come in where and when I can and still have a good shot at improving my character bit by bit. Tay rides to battle and glory once again!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]