Probably gonna split (SWTOR)

85 Night Elf Druid
I played the swtor beta over the weekend and from what I've played, it's enough to get me to cancel my subscription. At least for a little while. We'll see how it turns out. So far though (O_o)...

most aspects of the game i compared to WoW just blew WoW out of the water so ifk if i'll be back: i'll give you a run down for those who haven't played it.

1. Questing. In swtor, all the quests are voice acted with cut scene like dialog between you and the NPC. It follows the same general story line from level 1 (to at least level 21 where i got to) So the questing feels like a single player RPG. It is SUPER fun. The story line/plot for the bounty hunter is awesome. (and I hate PvE/questing) Also, each quest feels important to some degree. Everything you're doing even out side of your main story line class quest chain doesn't feel like a waste of time. Sure you can kill X amount of mobs, but those are automatic quests that you automatically get once you start killing any group of things.

2. Professions. You send out your companion(s) (everyone gets a crew in this game) to do your professions like gathering. It has a timer and costs money. They come back after 1-8 minutes depending on the action with what ever it is you sent them to do. They can some times fail. The professions feel kind of like a fun little side job that you just need to keep track of.

2.5. --the items you make are very good for your level. the things i crafted were all useful to me in some way. Though you do tend to make more than you need. (but you get an auto disenchant style thing where you can take apart your items for a % of raw materials) Professions are much more interesting in swtor

3. Mounts. at level 25 (50 is max) you can get a speeder. Pretty cool... but you also get a space ship. That's right. fly through space in your awesome space ship doing space stuff for space people. There is space ship combat, you can upgrade your space ship and take on space missions for space money. Way cooler than flying mounts. plus new style of combat.

4. dungeons. I only did one and it was fun. It was story driven and had the same style to it as a chain quest.

5. Interactive / dark side - good side. you can change the out come of dungeons or quests (any story driven activity that has dialog) by the choice you make in the dialog. In a quest you can choose to kill your target, let them go, betray your employer, accept bribes, etc. (though obviously not for every quest) example? I was tasked with the mission to hunt down a man who was slaughtering all the native planet people. When i caught the man, he offered to pay me to just let him continue doing what he was doing. Since he payed me more, i accepted the bribe and he went on killing all the native people. (+dark side points ftw)

6. PvP. The matches and warzones i fought in were really cool. One was a spots arena style PvP match, another one was taking control of canons to destroy the other teams star ship. They were interesting and had a purpose and made sense. Also not really all that generic. But this is also where I have my biggest problem which might mean i'll come back to WoW... During PvP matches, the server lag i experienced was insane. It was just way to laggy and I can compete for anything. granted it IS the beta and will most likely get smoothed out. but if it doesn't I don't think i'll stick with it.

7. Combat. The combat is fine, it looks nice, etc. but of all the categories, this is the only one that WoW does better in. In WoW, you have more fluid motion over your character. In SWTOR, it doesn't feel as free moving. Not that it's bad in SWTOR, but WoW just has it more clean. Though really it only matters in PvP. everything else is completely fine. But I was also lagging in PvP so i don't really know how good or bad it is.

all the key points that i can think of off hand. SWTOR is straight up awesome. I haven't found anything wrong with the game yet. I'm not making excuses for anything either. I've done that for other MMO's like warhammer, Aion, and Rift. But omg the questing is SO MUCH FUN!.

I'm kind of afraid I might not even bother with end game content. I almost don't even care about it. I'm thinking i might just level up every class first... I can see raiding to be EPIC. if a dungeon was like an interactive movie, raids are probably going to be... 3D HD INTERACTIVE MOVIE!!!!!!!

anyway, anyone planning on playing? maybe we can jump on the same server. ^_^ i'm going to pre order for early game access.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I was really hopping that wasn't the case. I did notice that level's didn't seem to matter in PvP.

The more I think about it the more likely it is I want pre order. lol. I really do love playing the game, but it'll be a waste of time and money if i just end up quitting at level 50 because there is nothing to do.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
11/28/2011 11:13 AMPosted by Elendicorpse
or they will do like rift....ah !@#$ all the pvper we going to focus only on pve -_-

I found the post I've been looking for.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=650660

I've been reading through this and Now I'm most likely not going to leave WoW. lol.

i REALLY want to play TOR, but that's because the questing and leveling up is so much fun. But that's not worth $65 + subscription fees.

I guess that's expected from bioware though; making awesome story line quests.
Reply Quote
or they will do like rift....ah !@#$ all the pvper we going to focus only on pve -_-

I found the post I've been looking for.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=650660

I've been reading through this and Now I'm most likely not going to leave WoW. lol.

i REALLY want to play TOR, but that's because the questing and leveling up is so much fun. But that's not worth $65 + subscription fees.

I guess that's expected from bioware though; making awesome story line quests.

1)You're supposed to listen to the quest lines..He just skipped through it
2)What are you waiting for at max level?Who cares about pve, PvP all the way.
3)If there is world PvP, I'm staying.

Edit:I'll prob. get this game just to try it out more, I was too lazy to try the beta
Edited by Nukazul on 11/28/2011 9:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Who cares if he listened to the quest line. An MMO is about the end game. How you get there shouldn't be as important. Other wise what is the point of it being an MMO?

The PvP groups you with people of all levels. No brackets can get annoying... also only 3 PvP warzones. Not a lot of variety.

If there is GOOD world PvP I'll buy the game.

I'm so torn between playing and not playing.

From what I've read and from what i know about the game, there wont be any interesting world PvP (if any world pvp at all). the maps don't really work that way. It's not a sandbox style MMO so there would have to be a dedicated zone for the world PvP. But then there also needs to be a reason to go there outside of just PvP. World PvP is always more fun when you do it where ever you want and not in designated area's.

ARG!! i want to play the game but i don't want to spend that much money on a gamble.

We should play on the same server though. (if I do play) Would be nice to have someone you know to play with. Are you going empire or republic?
Reply Quote
Who cares if he listened to the quest line. An MMO is about the end game. How you get there shouldn't be as important. Other wise what is the point of it being an MMO?

Wait, so you're saying progression is stupid?!WHAT BLASPHEMY.

The PvP groups you with people of all levels. No brackets can get annoying... also only 3 PvP warzones. Not a lot of variety.

I agree on that point.I think its very stupid the way they did that.

Also, I'll be Empire.<--Sith Inquisitor.
Reply Quote
93 Tauren Druid
The only things ive heard is that 1. Its a "WoW killer" (Same as Rift lol) and 2. PvP is mostly through BGs (Same as WoW and Rift)

Still waiting for GW2 :)

I really dont care about quests in a game, i'll do them once and thats it, for the story. But c'mon... another star wars story? Dont get me wrong, im a fan of Star Wars... but really? ANOTHER ONE? Im sick of even thinking about it haha.

Quests need to go already. 10 years ago, it was grinding. Then it was quests. Now? Still quests? /sigh.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Levels need to go imo. Just give players 100 different skills that the more you use them the higher they get. No classes. eventually max out all your skills and do everything. and make gear drop in PvP.

make items only obtainable through crafting them...

oh there i go again; wishing that games were as amazing as UO...

back on track----

I never heard it was going to be a WoW killer. I'm tired of that expression any ways. the only thing that can destroy WoW, is WoW. just like all the other major empires of the world, they were destroyed by themselves.

GW2 is going to be sweet.

If any of you have questions about swtor, post 'em. I'll ask them when i talk to my brother (whenever he feels like picking up the phone >.<) Maybe get a better idea of what the game is actually going to be like at level 50. Maybe find out about future plans... stuff like that.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Too late for questions, already talked to him. Judging from what he told me, SWTOR is going to be at least as good as WoW, end game.

PvP: Once you reach level 25 and you go to tatooine (or how ever it's spelled) that's when you start to see world PvP. that's the first planet where both factions quest at together. Then there is another planet that is dedicated to PvP (or something close to that) of course there are the bg's. They plan on adding something like 3 more with the first quarterly patch.

SWTOR's carrot on a stick: We all know that WoW's is the new seasons. with each new seasons comes new pvp and new pve content. in SWTOR they do it quarterly (every 3 months) So basically you can expect a major content patch for PvP and PvE every 3 months. Which is nice to know.

There is PvP rank which basically keeps non PvP'ers from just picking up PvP gear. In PvP, you HAVE to use PvP gear or you'll get owned. SWTOR's version of resilience works like this: reduces the damage you take from players by 1% and increases the damage you deal to players by 1%. Of course it's more than 1% depending on how much of that stat you have. (I forget what it's called)

so basically, against an equally geared player, your damage won't change so long as you both have PvP gear. This keeps the raiders and raiding gear out of PvP giving players more of an incentive to pick up the PvP gear.

also players are able to marry their companions... the more affection you gain with your companion the more your companion opens up to you via quests and stuff (story line stuff) also the way you act int he game can (in some cases) change your companion. IE, you can get a light force version of a companion or a dark force. like, if your companion goes dark he/she will always want to kill everyone.

he told me about some cool stuff like that and other various things they have planned. I'm going to buy the game and play it. I'm pretty sure I'll get at least 2 months of solid fun play out of it. by that time I'm sure end game will tighten up a lot. I'll be posting what server I'll be playing on a few days before launch. keep an eye out and we can play together.
Reply Quote
I'll be playing a week or two later.I wanted to start as the same time as my best friend, but he'll be in Africa until like January 3rdish, maybe sooner or later.I feel sorry for him, he said he doesn't want to go.. Doesn't sound that fun either.
But ye, post the server you're on.
Edited by Nukazul on 11/29/2011 10:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
We can start our own Maiev server, =O!Bring all the people from Maiev..So thats like 7 people I think?Trololol
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
lol, make a guild <Maiev>

Reply Quote
Who would be guild leader, I'm not a fan of the leader position...Unless you would be the Gleader.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]