Home/ World Latency indicator not displaying

(Locked)

MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
latency thing is minor, you can use quartz to figure out latency a well, cinematic is a diff issue but also has a very simple workaround that's available in other thread
90 Orc Warrior
I understand how it may stack up as pretty insignificant when compared to truly game breaking issues but if youre playing this game in any sort of competitive capacity - whether thats Raiding or PVP - this purely cosmetic bug can make a real impact on occasion.

Having something that visibly warns/alerts you AT ALL TIMES might make the difference to me queuing up for that arena game or putting my hand up for a high end progression attempt before we pull or choosing to wait it out for a few minutes to see if latency improves. Net performance can be a fickle thing for some users who are used to experiencing fluctuations to speeds by the minute. We are CONSTANTLY monitoring latency before every match and every pull so that we may not ever be a liability to the team. And if people dont believe this has not meant the difference between a win and a loss or a wipe and a kill for some individuals then youre mistaken - I can tell you it has happened to me and on more than one occasion.

While I appreciate people suggesting work arounds like the 'cast bar solution' - not only is having to spam something like Quartz constantly before you partake in anything stupidly annoying - its also wildy inaccurate at times. Its really not an adequate substitute by any means.

SO please understand why this 'purely cosmetic' issue is still something that can and DOES impact on quality of life for many people who play ANY online game competitively. We have been very patient about this (mostly!) and we deserve better! What good is fixing this when the final tier/season is near over???

Thanks CMs and techies! Please take a stand on behalf of all your diehard Mac customers!

Glokki

100 Human Mage
Season 11 just started. "Near over"?
90 Orc Warrior
01/01/2012 04:44 PMPosted by Raimondas
Season 11 just started. "Near over"?

The fix will come with the next major client patch as already stated. That patch will be the final patch of this expansion and will bring to us the usual pre expansion events in preparation for MoP as the season draws to a close - just like it does every time!

Also thanks for totally disregarding the point of the post which was that this issue can and does impact on some players quite significantly.
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
01/01/2012 05:27 PMPosted by Glokki
The fix will come with the next major client patch as already stated. That patch will be the final patch of this expansion and will bring to us the usual pre expansion events in preparation for MoP as the season draws to a close - just like it does every time!

Actually from what I've heard all the Blue said about this issue is it needs a client patch to fix.

This isn't necessarily the next major client patch.

In fact I've heard of a coming 4.3.2 bug fix patch.

Here to Help :)
90 Orc Warrior
You are right about that - its doesnt have to be delivered with a content patch.

Lets hope this bug patch comes sooner rather than later!
80 Blood Elf Paladin
I think that this is a bit silly tbh , so i switched to a new server and would like to have an idea of my ping , so it's impossible ?

Want to see how much i need to compensate during casts in pvp etc and no quartz isn't quite reliable since i get values from 40ms to 300 and i know i wouldn't have 300 ping on the server.

Truly would like to have the ping showing soon if possible
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
You are right about that - its doesnt have to be delivered with a content patch.

Lets hope this bug patch comes sooner rather than later!

*starts up PTR launcher*

*It starts downloading a patch for the 4.3 PTR*

O_O

*does a bit more checking*

Looks like the PTR for the 4.3.2 patch is coming up right about now.

MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
My initial tests indicate this is not yet fixed in 4.3.2 build 15148
Support Forum Agent
Thanks for the feedback. I know we're working on this, and it may be fixed in a later build. Most times PTR goes through several versions of testing. This one is not marked as release, so it's an earlier version.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Sunday to Thursday 11:00 am - 8:00 pm CST
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. How's this sheep doing?
The Mechanical sheep formerly known as as TonyM!
If at first you don't succeed... call it Version 1.0..
85 Human Warrior
Alright this is getting outrageous. Im not trying to QQ, but really. If this was strictly a cosmetic issue, then a easy fix should already have been implemented and this post should be over with. As a tank, like previous posters, i reference my lat in every tanking situation. The fact that plenty of other game fixes have been addressed (fixed) and this is [still being worked on] i guarantee if this was a windows issue it would have been fixed right away.

Please for the sake of my own sanity, bring back my lat.

Thanks
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
PTR build 15171 seeded tonight DOES fix this.
85 Human Paladin
Thanks to blues and greens, looking forward to fix.
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
01/06/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Omegal
PTR build 15171 seeded tonight DOES fix this.

Indeed.

Screenshot from PTR :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2978624/latency_meter_fixed.jpeg

This is as of the 15171 build of the PTR as shown in the text that's arrowed.

This has not been edited or photoshopped by me other then adding the arrow and the circle.

/dump GetNetStats() does indeed return numbers for the 3rd and 4th parameter

90 Pandaren Shaman
I would just like to add that i have had the same problem while running OSX since 4.3. 0/0 latency and i do also use quartz. I'm glad that they finally got around to fixing it a whole month later and that i had to read through 7 pages of denial and finger pointing on blizzard's part before they actually took some accountability for their mistake.
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
I would just like to add that i have had the same problem while running OSX since 4.3. 0/0 latency and i do also use quartz. I'm glad that they finally got around to fixing it a whole month later and that i had to read through 7 pages of denial and finger pointing on blizzard's part before they actually took some accountability for their mistake

blizzard NEVER denied this issue. or finger pointed. They always confirmed the cosmetic latency display was a known issue. The only thing they denied was it affecting actual latency, because it doesn't. It was asked anyone with actual latency use different thread for those issues nothing more. If you're having actual internet or lag problems, you're going to find when the display is fixed, you're still having them. Although i think the number of people lagging has gone down considerbly now that december is over.
Edited by Omegal on 1/8/2012 10:18 AM PST
Support Forum Agent
Omegal is correct on this. The issue was not causing latency itself. If you had latency issues, then that would be a different matter.

This fix required an actual patch update, which is why it was not a simple fix.
So, Thrall, Jaina, and Kerrigan are all sitting around playing poker…
85 Blood Elf Priest
Patch 4.3.2 is coming up. Will we have a fix on this latency problem?
Support Forum Agent
For the Latency displaying 0/0? Yes.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657275821?page=8#154

So, Thrall, Jaina, and Kerrigan are all sitting around playing poker…
Hello everyone,

I believe that I may have found a good, working solution for fixing the 0ms (home), 0ms (world) latency issue on Mac OS X. It seems to be fixed with the following console command:

SET timingMethod "2"

Important Note: Changing this particular CVar seems to have some kind of an effect on processor timing for WoW. You *might* (not necessarily) experience delays with certain effects like spells. I have tested this on a Core 2 Duo Penryn-based CPU and it works fine - has for a long time! Your mileage may vary.

It's best to actually edit the Config.wtf file, normally found in "Macintosh HD/Applications/World of Warcraft/WTF" (without the quotation marks.) Open that file and copy + paste the above CVar into it. You shouldn't have WoW open when modifying this file, though - it will overwrite it when the game closes!

Please let me know if this fixed the problem for you. It should only be a temporary fix, till 4.3.2, but it's better than a macro containing /dump GetNetStats(), having to use Quartz, or simply no latency indication at all.
Edited by Alster on 1/9/2012 11:35 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]