We just killed Nozdormu

87 Undead Priest
11/29/2011 08:04 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Nozdormu is both dead and alive.

Schrödinger's dragon.

Err, Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiement to demonstrate that you can't apply quantum mechanic thinking to regular object, i.e a dragon CANNOT be dead and alive at the same time, only theorical entities can. Nozdormu may be fictional but he's not theorical.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I think it's more like Bob watching Alice visit a black hole singularity.

http://essayweb.net/astronomy/blackhole_3.shtml (cntrl-F for alice, about 2/5th down)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
/me call Doctor Who to find a better answer for the OP.
Edited by Zanardam on 11/30/2011 1:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
11/29/2011 08:04 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Nozdormu is both dead and alive.

Schrödinger's dragon.

That quip of quantum mechanics is to represent when you need an absolute out of an uncertainty. In this case, he actually IS both XD

Though Nozi did kind of step all over Many Worlds and Chaos theory by affecting his own continuity... Co-existing simultaneously by three-dimensionally stratifying Minkowski spacetime my !@#!

Either way... moral of your own death backfiring, making the Infinites to avert your own destiny, yatta yatta; called it three years ago. I'm content. I was worried Blizz forgot about the whole thing when--out of nowhere--Nozdormu just showed up for the cleansing of-- *cough* erm Thrall's wedding without much to say about his absence.

Edited because "I am was" doesn't make a damn bit of sense.
Edited by Adeodatus on 11/30/2011 1:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
drugs are bad for u mmk lol good observation though
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
you need to watch more startrekk, srsly.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
People assume that time is a straight progression of cause to effect but actually from a non-linear non-subjected viewpoint it's more like a ball of wibbly-wobbly timey whimey. ...stuff.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Post of the Year.
Reply Quote
85 Pandaren Mage
I support Chromie as the new time lord.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
looking at time in a more linear manner, Murozond is essentially a possible future of Nozdormu. Just because we kill the future doesn't mean the past vanishes with it. The Nozdormu that helps us is the past and Murozond is the future, whether is be 5 years or 500 years in the future. Also, Murozond is but one possible timeline for the future of the Aspect of Time. In that time line, he succumbs to the influence and corruption of the Old Gods and becomes Murozond. However, if the Nozdormu we know, that being the one we interact with otherwise normally in game, doesn't become corrupted, say by player intervention or some other means, then the Murozond we kill might not otherwise come to be, despite us killing him. Also, had we killed Nozdormu in a way that removes him from time, we could in theory make it so that he never existed for us to kill him, but that being the case, we wouldn't have been able to kill him so he would exist. Thus, Murozond's death has no relevance to the proper flow of time.

Quote for the day: "Time....line? Time is not made out of lines. It is made out of circles. Why do you think clocks are round?"
-Pvt. Michael J. Caboose
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
The thesis for Schrödinger's cat was that if you hypothetically locked a cat in a box that had a geiger counter in it that was hooked up to some undescribed 'death contraption' that would trigger and kill the cat if the counter detected radiation, until you looked inside the box you would not know if the cat was alive or dead, therefore, it is both alive and dead at the same time.

A much simpler explanation is 'Until you know, it's all answers', but I guess Schrödinger just had a thing about hypothetically killing cats.

That only counts for your' perspective. If the cat died, the cat is dead, whether or not you think so.
Now you're stepping into the realm of hypothetical cats in hypothetical forests making hypothetical sounds...
Reply Quote
58 Blood Elf Death Knight
looking at time in a more linear manner, Murozond is essentially a possible future of Nozdormu. Just because we kill the future doesn't mean the past vanishes with it. The Nozdormu that helps us is the past and Murozond is the future, whether is be 5 years or 500 years in the future. Also, Murozond is but one possible timeline for the future of the Aspect of Time. In that time line, he succumbs to the influence and corruption of the Old Gods and becomes Murozond. However, if the Nozdormu we know, that being the one we interact with otherwise normally in game, doesn't become corrupted, say by player intervention or some other means, then the Murozond we kill might not otherwise come to be, despite us killing him. Also, had we killed Nozdormu in a way that removes him from time, we could in theory make it so that he never existed for us to kill him, but that being the case, we wouldn't have been able to kill him so he would exist. Thus, Murozond's death has no relevance to the proper flow of time.

Quote for the day: "Time....line? Time is not made out of lines. It is made out of circles. Why do you think clocks are round?"
-Pvt. Michael J. Caboose
My understanding from some of the quest text was that the fight with Murozond took place outside of time. Or well, in a pocket of time separate from the current timeline. Sort of a separate dimension, which is trying to invade our own. Warcraft tends to have a lot of that sort of thing going on. If that makes sense.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage

-Pvt. Michael J. Caboose

Thing about Nozdormu is that the lore puts an unusual and specific take on his existance. That rather than simply being able to move through time or being aware of his enitre existance at once, he is aware of his existance as an infinite number of separate entities from every isolated moment across his existance. Like slicing a cube into an infinite number of two-dimensional planes. Hense, stratifying spacetime.

So the question is, would killing his future self be akin to getting a haircut, losing a relative, or putting a bullet through his brain.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
"Wait, if you destroyed Dib in the past, then he won't ever be your enemy, then you won't have to send a robot back to destroy him, and then he will be your enemy so you will have to send a robot bac-*BOOM*"

-Gir, explaining the problem with time travel.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
11/30/2011 04:15 AMPosted by Kevyne

Schrödinger's dragon.

Yeah summer days that blind your face
Will soon be dead and gone
Better get it on
Tuned to a day the baby against the world, yeah

You took the best seat will you risk it
WHen the chips were down
Better make it l-o-n-g

Schrödinger's Cat is dead to the world

You say your cat sees in the dark
You criticize the play and isolate the box
I always knew you were a scientist at heart

Just as the breeze with speed and build
You sat upon the fence
Clucking like a chicken making perfect sense

Pass that gun, hand me that knife
Man's little monster has been brought back to life

Schrödinger's Cat is dead to the world

~ Tears For Fears "Schrödinger's Cat"

Please tell me what happened in this night.
It's like the cat inside the box.

You don't know if the cat in the box is dead or alive.

The cat in the box was dead.

-Frederica Bernkastel
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]