Am I out of line. Raid Finder Tips

MVP
90 Gnome Warrior
Here are some basic tips and tricks for getting ready to PvP/raid at whatever level (using Neth's basic questions as a platform and I'll make this simple enough so that even I can understand :P:

What should you do to be prepared to Raid/Arena/PvP?

1) IMHO, the very most important single thing you should be prepared to do is communicate effectively and clearly and politely. Some people won't always get it, but most will. If you need to sit between pulls for mana let someone know. It never hurts to speak up and in a worst case scenario you can always look yourself in the mirror and say that it wasn't for lack of effort on your part.

2) You should be familiar with YOUR class and YOUR playstyle and seek to optimize your 'uptime' healing, damage dealing, tanking...simple right? For some, yes. For some, it means time spent at the training dummy...a lot of time...I think I got married to one under common law, in fact. It can be tedious, but worthwhile. Also, the class/newbie forums are a great place to seek advice as well!

3) There are, in my opinion, two, maybe three things you should have in your bags at ALL times. Flasks, food, pots. the FFP's. Mostly you'll have food and pots at lower levels..mostly pots, but flasks are definitly important as well. Some of the higher level cooks will also bring feasts to share with the entire raid/party.

4) Should you bring enough to share? It's hard to do so in LFD/LFR/Cross Realm BG's because of not being able to share non-conjured items but as far as food/soulwells go, never hesitate to put one down. It will earn you the good will of the group, I promise.
Edited by Huggywuggles on 11/30/2011 9:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I always bring plenty of flasks (imo flasks are a must), my own buff food (if someone has a feast of some kind that is great, but most of the time there isn't), and plenty of reg food (if there is a mage table great..if not, I am still prepared with my own).
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Warrior
11/30/2011 09:05 AMPosted by Ceea
Welcome to 2011 WOW where nobody is ever prepared anymore, ever.

Including yourself? Exaggerating helps no one, and unless someone is below 80% on either bar, i wouldn't eat either.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
11/30/2011 09:26 AMPosted by Grenaday
Bring your bandages

I lol'ed.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I'll add in a few myself:

For healers, stay on target. It's extremely important that if you're assigned a particular target to heal, that you keep on top of it. It can be tempting to cross-heal (and sometimes it may be necessary) but if everyone stays on top of their healing assignments, everyone should (for the most part) pull through.

For those who can lead, feel free to volunteer to lead the raid. Mark your targets and set your assignments (even if it seems like a straight forward encounter.) You'll be helping people learn how to take on the more difficult encounters in the end.

For those following, don't argue with the raid leader if you can help it. If you're following, sometimes it's best just to follow and see how things go. If you need to question the Raid leader, try to do it discretely. No one likes to be embarrassed or called out.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Warrior
1) Make sure to know your rotation, be gemmed and enchanted properly. You can ask fellow players on how to do that or look it up online. I use the help threads in the class forums all the time.

I'm all for being positive, but you're sending people into the wolfs den on this one. Everyone in this MMO thinks you should google everything. Asking in trade chat means you're lazy/a noob/stupid.

Asking on the forums gets you the same result or "check the FAQ." People outright refuse to help a player, and would rather spend their time complaining about how no one knows anything. I personally find it maddening when it takes the same amount of time to help someone, and thusly improved the community 10 fold, as it does to make a pithy recycled one-liner that helps no one.
Edited by Suntzunami on 11/30/2011 9:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
11/30/2011 09:05 AMPosted by Ceea
Welcome to 2011 WOW where nobody is ever prepared anymore, ever.

Welcome to WoW 2008
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
If you need to drink during trash pull, you're not ready for raid healing.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
11/30/2011 09:31 AMPosted by Suntzunami
People outright refuse to help a player, and would rather spend their time complaining about how no one knows anything

I have never found this to be the case, especially on the forums. Provided you are utilizing the resources available to you, the questions you have are entirely legitimate. Yes, idiots troll in trade. But many times I have seen players whisper to help another of their class. The blizzard forums have numerous guides and most classes/specs have excellent websites with helpful tips, guides, and resources.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I think rather than making this a complaint thread about what people aren't doing, it may be helpful (as the OP started doing) to share some tips for people who maybe haven't ever had a chance to raid before, including what sorts of gear or items they should expect to bring or even the types of buffs they should be ready to apply etc.

What are the types of things anyone should do to be prepared to Raid?
What types of items should they have ready to use in their bags?
Should they bring extra to share or is it every man/woman for themselves?
What are the best sort of buffs, spells, or even abilities that should be "must use"?
Etc.

Let's turn this into a helpful thread to guide people toward being successful in the Raid Finder.

Here's what I do as a raider, and what I expect my team to do.

Before the raid:

Know the boss fights (and any significant trash) - know both the overall strategy to the fight and your specific role in the fight. Know other roles in case you have to cover someone mid-fight if they die.

Acquire consumables - best stat food, best flask, potions (health, mana, stat)

Double-check your gear - Make sure you start at 100% durability! Check reforgings.

Double-check your spec - make sure you're not in your pvp spec, for example

Eat/bio/smoke/RL stuff - get it out of the way before the raid. You don't want 24 other people to have to wait for you, not unless you want to be vote-kicked

During the raid:

Buff up - if you are a buffer, make sure all 25 of you have received your buff. Personal buffs - eat food/drink flask.

Follow the raid leader - your strat isn't necessarily his strat in a LFR. If his strat isn't working, whisper him if you know a better way.

Be quiet - 25 random people spamming a raid channel is likely to make it easy to not see vital info.

Raiding is a more involved game than 5-mans. Just because these are randoms doesn't mean that they don't require preparation and execution. Do yourself a favor and prepare to be your best.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Remember when bandages were relevant?

Yeah, bring some damned food and pots.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Make sure you repair before entering, you'll be thankful you don't have to repair halfway through after a wipe or two.

If you see a player having trouble, pm them and help them out. Folks who die to fire usually didn't see the fire, and are wondering what got them.

Click on portals and help those mages/warlocks do their thing.

Read up on boss fights before doing them, even if it's just in the dungeon journal while you're clearing through trash. Don't wait until 10 seconds before the pull.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
11/30/2011 09:31 AMPosted by Suntzunami
I'm all for being positive, but you're sending people into the wolfs den on this one. Everyone in this MMO thinks you should google everything. Asking in trade chat means you're lazy/a noob/stupid.

I would avoid asking trade. But asking a player of the same class that is doing well in your PuG should be fine. Or asking a geared player of your class that you see out and about.

I've had people ask me out of the blue about tips on playing and I've asked other people in the same manner. Never have I had some be rude about it.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
11/30/2011 09:17 AMPosted by Nethaera
Let's turn this into a helpful thread to guide people toward being successful in the Raid Finder.

I completely agree.

I'm a team player and find it silly and childish to "punish" other players who might not be as prepared as it's better to lead by example than be a raging idiot playing those "I'm not going to do x because you did y" games like we're back in high school.

The goal is to kill stuff with minimal loss to the team, and it takes a team effort to do it well.

If I can help out a struggling healer with a shield or toss out a heal, I'll do it. If I can help rez to get back into the fight, I'll do it. If the healer needs mana and I can heal myself or eat, I'll do it.

The tank is the healer's priority - a dead tank is pretty much game over - so anything I can do to keep myself alive and in the game - why wouldn't I?

I always make sure I have a decent supply of potions, flasks, buff food, stack of feasts and water (no bandages though - Priests have a few perks.)

I've got Jeeves and I also like to keep a stack of Scrapbots just in case.

I use an addon so I can immediately see if anyone is missing my buffs especially after a wipe and re-buff as needed.

I don't know how much can be shared between players from different servers in LFR, but if putting down a feast will help the team, why not? Maybe that little extra food buff would mean the difference between success and failure.

I like to be prepared - you just never know when you need it :D
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
11/30/2011 09:42 AMPosted by Alphagreek
People outright refuse to help a player, and would rather spend their time complaining about how no one knows anything

I have never found this to be the case, especially on the forums. Provided you are utilizing the resources available to you, the questions you have are entirely legitimate. Yes, idiots troll in trade. But many times I have seen players whisper to help another of their class. The blizzard forums have numerous guides and most classes/specs have excellent websites with helpful tips, guides, and resources.

I believe that is what they are railing against, the answer invariably comes down to 'Google it, nub' instead of a straight forward answer that could have been answered in abut the same amount of time as telling someone to look it up online.
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Rogue
Haven't tried the LFR. As I'm mid RL move, I can't make my guilds raid schedule. This new raid finder should be.....interesting.

Oh and my 2c on how to help....

If you're a hybrid class. Throw out some heals between pulls and after wipes. My main is a priest, if I'm raiding as shadow mana isn't often an issue so I'll top off peoples health while the dedicated healers eat/drink.

It is my opinion though that if you have food/water, consume it when possible. They aren't very expensive, usually people vendor the food drops anyways. It really does speed things up for a group and there is no reason not to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]