Did wow get hacked or???

90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/30/2011 12:29 PMPosted by Breadisfunny
how do you know its 2 million?

The poster giving the list said it was 2 million.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
11/30/2011 12:27 PMPosted by Holysdeath
Well still valuable information was able to be seen for 30 minutes someone's real-life information is on the line
such is life. they lost their privacy when they signed up for whatever they signed up (gold buying, epics buying, replying to phishing emails, etc). Does it really matter if someone actually copied that info or not? what's the difference if one other person knows your account info vs. twenty? the account is still compromised.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
11/30/2011 12:30 PMPosted by Privilege

So?

Blizzard has their own security protocols in place and has never been compromised and allowed our personal information to get out.

and you know this because?
ps - wasnt the homepage defiled a few years back, early Bc'ish?

Because it has never happened.

Whether or not the homepage had any compromise, let me clarify what I meant by saying that Blizzard has never allowed our personal information to get out as a result of a compromise on their end.

If they did, they would have been legally obligated to inform people, and since that didn't happen, they were never compromised. Also because Blizzard says they've never let personal information out as a result of a compromise, it's true.
Reply Quote
11/30/2011 12:33 PMPosted by Holysdeath

Huggy is pointing out that people with special snowflake syndrome are continuing to make new threads about the topic. He's trying to nip that in the bud.

He's not saying that we can't talk about it. (But if Blizzard starts eliminating all the threads about it, it would be wise to take the hint.)

It's also important that we keep the tone down to a healthy level of concern, and not promote hysteria and rumor mongering.

Rumors are you kidding me 2 million accounts was hack they was for the.public.to see yea don't worry everyone if your pass and username are the same as your bank do not worry someone is going to take your money

There were a few posted no where 2 million. The fool that posted it claimed 2 million this is NOT proof in any way. Stop with this the sky is falling garbage.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
11/30/2011 12:33 PMPosted by Holysdeath
Rumors are you kidding me 2 million accounts was hack they was for the.public.to see yea don't worry everyone if your pass and username are the same as your bank do not worry someone is going to take your money

Rumors AND lies, like the ones you're making right now. Do you know there were 2 million? Do you know they were even real?

It's not that hard to write a script to generate what looks like a hundred logins and passwords. I can say a lot of things on the internet, too, like 2 million. Hey, on Tuesdays I turn into a fairy and dance on alien spaceships. Are you going to call the FBI because you think I've now provided proof? And even if the login/passwords were real, they're probably not current. There are lists online (don't go searching for them, they're on websites riddled with keyloggers and other malicious code) that give tons of login/passwords....but they're all old and have been fixed or deleted years ago. Finding one, copy and pasting it, and then saying OH THESE ARE REAL doesn't actually mean they're real.
Edited by Bulreporting on 11/30/2011 12:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Just to clarify the topic of discussion in this thread, someone used a compromised account to post private information for other compromised accounts. These were individually compromised accounts and not the result of a security breach. Our customer support staff are securing these accounts and notifying their true owners.

Please note that if you ever feel that your account may be at risk, we strongly suggest following the security measures listed here: http://us.battle.net/en/security/ -- in particular the Security Checklist. Actually, it’s a good idea to follow those measures even if you don’t suspect that your account may be at risk. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of account security.
Edited by Zarhym on 11/30/2011 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
Just to clarify the topic of discussion in this thread, someone used a compromised account to post private information for other compromised accounts. These were individually compromised accounts and not the result of a security breach. Our customer support staff are securing these accounts and notifying their true owners.

Please note that if you ever feel that your account may be at risk, we strongly suggest following the security measures listed here: http://us.battle.net/en/security/, in particular the Security Checklist. Actually, it’s a good idea to follow those measures even if you don’t suspect that your account may be at risk. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of account security.
good to know you guys are on top of it
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
like i said. calm the hell down folks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/30/2011 12:44 PMPosted by Zarhym
Please note that if you ever feel that your account may be at risk, we strongly suggest following the security measures listed here:

You messed up your link, sir. The comma is in the link and sends you to a Page Not Found error.

EDIT: And you fixed it before I hit Submit. Good to know you're faster than I am.
Edited by Ehcks on 11/30/2011 12:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
65 Gnome Death Knight
I would be more worried about banking with Chase then I would a hacker.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest

Please note that if you ever feel that your account may be at risk, we strongly suggest following the security measures listed here: http://us.battle.net/en/security/ -- in particular the Security Checklist. Actually, it’s a good idea to follow those measures even if you don’t suspect that your account may be at risk. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of account security.

Just to stand up for those that may be down, will you be notifying those with accounts that are legit (as in on that list and actually exist) so they can remedy the situation ASAP?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
anyone have a link as to what this is about? i'm lost..
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Hunter
11/30/2011 01:19 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
Just to stand up for those that may be down, will you be notifying those with accounts that are legit (as in on that list and actually exist) so they can remedy the situation ASAP?

Our customer support staff are securing these accounts and notifying their true owners.

anyone have a link as to what this is about? i'm lost..

See Zarhym's post #88, above yours.
Edited by Stoutlager on 11/30/2011 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior

Any chance I can get that in metric?

-signed a random Canuck
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
Just to add another quick security suggestion. If you use any online retailing sites like amazon, newegg, etc. and you have your credit card information saved, it really pays to delete it. If anyone gets access to those accounts, that's free access to your money for them. It's much better to enter your card every time you purchase and then delete it again if it's a site like amazon that auto-saves things.

There have been some notorious Xbox hacks going on right now and for people who had their credit cards saved it's caused them a lot of grief. Sound security advice doesn't just apply to WoW.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
He just HAS to be a Death Knight. :(
Reply Quote
11/30/2011 02:01 PMPosted by Alona
There have been some notorious Xbox hacks going on right now and for people who had their credit cards saved it's caused them a lot of grief. Sound security advice doesn't just apply to WoW.

This part actually happened to me. Someone got into my account and burned $200 on points and other stuff. Thankfully I got it all back and had my credit card taken off file.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
There's treachery afoot!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]