LFR loot exploit is so bad. Free Tier for all

95 Draenei Death Knight
Honestly people have to be pretty naive to not think this was gonna happen. I saw this coming a mile away.

Blizz knew competitive raiders would run LFR to get their tier bonuses, they even promoted it as such.

It was clear the moment this came out that Paragon would do something very similar to this to anyone with any kind of competitive notion. Really it's working as intended.
90 Human Paladin
Blizzard should ban every guild that's exploited this for a period of 1 month, whether it's Paragon or the most casual of guilds. They won't, because that would impact revenues too severely.

They always conveniently leave loopholes like this in the first week, let the elite guilds take full advantage of it, then they block it for the regular players.

Depending on the scope of it, there might not be much Blizzard can do. They'd have to investigate each guild and then identify if they were actually cheesing it or if the data they were using to get that far just made it look like it. At worst, they'd remove the loot and issue probably something like a 48 hour ban. I really only see them hotfixing it though.

Either way, I've discouraged people who brought it up in my guild from doing that. There are legitimate ways to make sure the people you want to get gear will get it, namely running the content multiple times with alts and mains mixed together. Paragon itself gains little from this in that most of them aren't even using the 384 gear. It's an effective way of gearing up alts, but other than that, most of the gear won't be equipped. The only issue with it is that they're able to run the content over and over again, and if five people were missing the same item, they could get all five people their item.

Edit- now that I think about it, they might also just be holding onto the items to fill in the blanks when they have enough T13 gear, so then they upgrade from one 4pc to another.
Edited by Janaire on 12/2/2011 6:29 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Weak. This cannot be working as intended. 1 week ban and forfeit all loot IMO (I wouldn't be against harsher punishment either).
100 Orc Death Knight
If they are utilizing the D/C thing then absolutely they should be banned for a period of time. If however it's a load of alts carrying mains and thus repeating the cycle continuously.. then I guess that's within the scope of how the LFR is designed. Breaking that functionality of being able to run the place (but without being able to roll on loot the second) multiple times would make LFR pretty terrible if you got D/C or had to leave.

But yes, I agree if it's an exploitation of a bug with D/C members. Those people should be punished. I know that the LFR loot isn't that massive of an upgrade for most but it's an advantage none the less.
Edited by Gròmmash on 12/2/2011 6:52 AM PST
100 Blood Elf Mage
The amount of time put in for lesser gear is amusing.

some of the 4 pieces are nice, but the LFR set is a downgrade for some.

I don't think you realize how important the 4 pc tank sets will be for hard mode progression with providing extra raid cool downs. Every tank they have has a 4pc now and can chain cooldowns.
85 Night Elf Warrior
There's a blue post on the euro forums about how they're fixing it, including disciplinary actions. The post is fairly circumspect.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3061866700#3
90 Human Paladin
12/02/2011 07:12 AMPosted by Firestyle
This isn't an exploit. It's working as designed. However, I think there should be a cap of 10 players implemented in the queuing system. That way, no group of players can effectively monopolize the loot distribution.

That's not how it's designed. It was designed for players to only be eligible for loot the first time they use the LFR each week. This is exploiting how the system works in order to be eligible for it in successive runs. It's violating the ToS and is actionable if Blizzard wishes it. Guilds have been punished in the past for exploiting things, the only difference is that at least all the incidents I know of were on a smaller scale.

edit: haha, Charsi, thanks for the link. Glad I haven't been <snip snipping>.
Edited by Janaire on 12/2/2011 7:22 AM PST
90 Undead Warlock
Give all people who did the exploit a 2 week ban. Let them watch as other guilds pass them by in progression.

90 Human Paladin
12/02/2011 07:33 AMPosted by Firestyle

That's not how it's designed. It was designed for players to only be eligible for loot the first time they use the LFR each week. This is exploiting how the system works in order to be eligible for it in successive runs. It's violating the ToS and is actionable if Blizzard wishes it. Guilds have been punished in the past for exploiting things, the only difference is that at least all the incidents I know of were on a smaller scale.

edit: haha, Charsi, thanks for the link. Glad I haven't been <snip snipping>.

Indeed, I misunderstood the process. I had thought they were running LFR 25 man, with alts iteratively, and cycling in one main raider each run. The process they are using is far more efficient and effective. The process I just described would be a less efficient alternative.

I do hope their solution address both approaches.

I also do not think they will ban these players. Mostly because of who they are.

Well, Ensidia got that nice little 72 hour ban that I had to read about (wasn't playing at that point), though Blizzard has been known to take world firsts very seriously. However, since this is a blatant exploitation, they might actually take it even more seriously. Who knows, I sure as heck don't. We'll see what happens. If nothing happens, I'll certainly feel let down merely for the lost entertainment.
85 Night Elf Druid
Hey look EU being more efficient than US again

90 Orc Shaman
As Fiskerdin so succinctly puts it, it’s never acceptable to ‘cheat’ or exploit within the game, and the number of players taking advantage of such a temporary situation has no bearing on whether such a practice can be considered ‘ok’ or not.

In short, we’re already well aware of the issue and once corrected there will undoubtedly be significant consideration taken into the best course of action – this is unlikely to be done at a customer support level, however, and as such I’m afraid we’re unable to provide any further elaboration.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3061866700#3
90 Human Paladin
12/02/2011 08:03 AMPosted by Firestyle
I really hope a blue is reading this thread.

If they're like normal people, they would have only just arrived for work. It is Friday though, and Friday seems to be their regular Forum Invasion Day.
85 Night Elf Warrior
Some people are showing up with conspicuously empty shoulders/chest/legs/gloves in eu armory. It may be true or they may be logging out with the gear unequipped for the lolz.
90 Orc Shaman
Aside from the fact that these possible <snip snips> are currently being removed from the game at highest priority, I can definitely confirm that you and your guild have done the right thing by not <snip snipping> and would advise you to continue not doing <snip> until such time as it’s made impossible (as should obviously have originally been the case).

Again, I’m unfortunately unable to provide any information regarding the possible consequences of <snipping> anyway, but in situations like this it’s always best to err on the side of caution in order to avoid any potential repercussions later on!

I hope that helps clear things up, even if only in limited (and <snipped>!) fashion. :)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3061866700#6

No, it’s not against the rules as such… it’s more that we’re trying to avoid inciting any unnecessary curiosity over the topic we’re discussing.

If we speak of an exploit in purely general terms, without saying what is actually achieved, there’s less likelihood of players using a generalised description to then go and search the web for a method. :)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3061866700#13

more posts on EU forums about the subject
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]