Transmog - Weapon slots

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I've been honestly worried about how this thread would turn out, but I saw an excellent thread of a fairly similar topic for Head slots - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3082081583 - thought to give it a try.

Some people may be very happy with their Two-Hand sword/staff or their One-hand Mace/Dagger who have transmogged them to look like their favorite weapon of that type. Though alot of us may dread the time that our Best in Slot weapon (or just a general upgrade) becomes a completely different type of weapon, especially one we may not have a good looking weapon for to transmog into.

If we could Transmog our weapons into anything our class can equip we wouldn't have such an issue, of course the only restriction being that the cosmetic weapon would have to match the handle type via two-hand, one-hand, shield or off-hand. I would like to be able to carry around my favorite sword or axe when my most powerful weapon is actually a mace, or on my druid I would love to be carrying around my favorite staff when my best weapon is a polearm.

Just an idea for Blizzard to perhaps consider, and I hope all of you will like this idea or possible put your input into it. I also definitely Blizzard will find and think about this topic, whether it be from this thread or someone else's thread that may have touched on this subject before me.

I've been aware I wasn't a professional at explaining my thoughts or having good grammar. If something here doesn't make sense to you, let me know.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Hunter
I couldn't have said it any better.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
The reason Blizz decided not to let us have an axe in a sword slot, etc. is because of the speed difference in the weapons. They also didn't want Warriors running into PvP with a transmogrified robe to fool the enemy players into thinking they are a caster. The same may go for axes and swords.

Frankly, I don't see why that would matter. The second the clothie warrior uses Heroic Leap, the jig is up. As with transmogrifying, say, a 2 handed axe into a 2 handed sword, I don't believe it'll make a drastic difference. Blizz allows us to turn bows into guns or crossbows, so I think we should be able to do the same with weapons.

of course the only restriction being that the cosmetic weapon would have to match the handle type via two-hand, one-hand, shield or off-hand.

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yea though I can definitely understand why they would have such a restriction on armor, especially in that case you pointed out.

12/03/2011 09:41 AMPosted by Kaji
They also didn't want Warriors running into PvP with a transmogrified robe to fool the enemy players into thinking they are a caster.

But you're right that an Axe to a Sword wouldn't make that big of a difference, You'll still see them as a Warrior/Paladin etc. I think being able to change your weapon in this way is important to show personality and style. Honestly an Axe fits my Armor set better than a mace or Sword would.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
I agree entirely with this post. My druid actually has that whole issue where I have a crapton of polearms I've collected and when I heard transmog was coming out, I thought this meant no more damn staves, but then they put the restriction out and all my polearms because useless for the most part seeing as my current weapon is a staff.

As Daz put it, if you're already wielding a two-hander, why should it matter if it looks like a sword, axe, or mace? BiS for people changes each content. Further, you have to have luck of the drop and some people end up getting the worst drop possible for what they want to transmog.

I can understand the restrictions to a degree. You don't want a character wielding a one-handed sword and have clipping issues with the animations when they transmog it into a staff they're wielding in one hand. But if you keep it to weapons that are wielded similarly, it just becomes a display ID swap and I don't see why we shouldn't add a little more flexibility as to what displays can be placed on what.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
up through Cat, it feels like there are very few one-handed maces (with the rest being main-hand caster/tank maces). it's making me feel a little screwed :(

as a rogue in general, I'd just love an opportunity for my MH/OH weapons to match even though Blizzard has pigeonholed combat into going axe/mace/fist + dagger
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Sadly my opinion matters little given that I'm a hunter and I can cross weapon type transmog but I personally wouldn't want to see this done. The biggest reason is rogues. When a rogue is around I can judge spec by weapons, double sword? Most likely combat and so I would base my method of attack on what combat does vs a hunter. Suddenly when this double sword rogue is popping shadowdance and ambushing my soul away I would realize "oh crap you are sub" and at that point I might have already lost.

While not a very huge reason, nor one I am adamant about, it would still be why I would vote against this. If it does happen I won't care that much, I would merely use it on my shaman to get the exact look I want.

Also would be weird seeing a warrior bladestorming with some dinky little sword.

Edit: Although it would be nice to transmog my polearm into a staff... Staff of Infinite Mysteries would go with this set very nicely.
Edited by Asixro on 12/3/2011 12:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
Yeah, though in a pvp situation, all it would take is one time getting killed by that rogue and I can guarantee that you won't mistake Lololgankdyou as a combat rogue again. It's annoying but it's not that big a deal really. I can see your reasoning, I just still think there should be more flexibility with the weapon transmogs. Like Kaji said, once the person shows their abilities, the jig is up.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
The reason Blizz decided not to let us have an axe in a sword slot, etc. is because of the speed difference in the weapons. They also didn't want Warriors running into PvP with a transmogrified robe to fool the enemy players into thinking they are a caster. The same may go for axes and swords.

Frankly, I don't see why that would matter. The second the clothie warrior uses Heroic Leap, the jig is up. As with transmogrifying, say, a 2 handed axe into a 2 handed sword, I don't believe it'll make a drastic difference. Blizz allows us to turn bows into guns or crossbows, so I think we should be able to do the same with weapons.

of course the only restriction being that the cosmetic weapon would have to match the handle type via two-hand, one-hand, shield or off-hand.

you do relise that all 2 handed swords axes and macs pretty much have the exact same speed modifier they are all pretty much 3.60 swing time. so that is a lame excuse.

i agree with the op. i farmed out the mats for lionheart executioner put it on my masterwork elementium deathblade gfot both axes of the tauren chieftens and low and behold i can no longer use the executioner. this is just lazy. what is the difference if i am using a 2 handed sword graphic or an axe graphic. in the end its just a modle no stat modifier. and ive checked thru the dungeons thre is no 2 handed sword that has stats. why wouyld you make a feaure like this and make it so if i wanna mog to the lionheart executioner i have to downgrade my dps just for that soul purpose.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yea, I didnt know anyone actually depended on the opponents weapons so much, but all it would do is put those people into the same guessing game anyone else has when seeing an Arms warrior wielding the same weapon a Single minded Fury Warrior would wield.

12/03/2011 12:20 PMPosted by Asixro
Also would be weird seeing a warrior bladestorming with some dinky little sword.

That whats the handler restriction would be for, If its a two-hander weapon, then you can only transmog into two-hand weapons that your class can wield.

Edit: Although it would be nice to transmog my polearm into a staff... Staff of Infinite Mysteries would go with this set very nicely.

That definitely is a nice staff.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman

Note that the two-hand-to-two-hand and one-hand-to-one-hand rules would still be in effect. An exception could be made for daggers, too, since they do actually impact rogues' gameplay, but limiting other weapon types to type-for-type really accomplishes little except forcing players to hold onto three or so different weapons for transmog depending on what they currently have as their stat weapon. I know I for one am currently hitting a roadblock on my paladin, because there just aren't any one-handed maces I want to use with her Sunwalker outfit.

I don't really think type-for-type is necessary for armor, either, so long as the "you must be able to use it in the first place" restriction remains in place, but if I had to choose I'd rather see the weapon one go first. After all, aside from low levels, players are only ever going to wear one armor type, and thus only need one set of mog gear until they decide they want a different look. With weapons, most classes will need at least three different weapons per outfit to ensure they always have a mog option when an upgrade of a different weapon class comes around.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
12/03/2011 12:29 PMPosted by Psychopath
i agree with the op. i farmed out the mats for lionheart executioner put it on my masterwork elementium deathblade gfot both axes of the tauren chieftens and low and behold i can no longer use the executioner. this is just lazy.

The restrictions were listed before Transmog was available in the game. Aren't you lazy for not having thought of upgrading your gear to a different weapon type and not farming for different transmog items?

I went and farmed a bunch of axes prior to the patch and am currently hunting for maces. I don't look forward to the day I have a fist weapon, but when that day comes, I will be hunting for a matching weapon.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
12/03/2011 12:29 PMPosted by Psychopath
i agree with the op. i farmed out the mats for lionheart executioner put it on my masterwork elementium deathblade gfot both axes of the tauren chieftens and low and behold i can no longer use the executioner. this is just lazy. what is the difference if i am using a 2 handed sword graphic or an axe graphic. in the end its just a modle no stat modifier. and ive checked thru the dungeons thre is no 2 handed sword that has stats. why wouyld you make a feaure like this and make it so if i wanna mog to the lionheart executioner i have to downgrade my dps just for that soul purpose.

This. This right here.

A guildie of mine is also pointing out that in the last few patches, there has been ONE real tanking weapon drop. So if you wanted to transmog into something you worked hard on getting, you either have to use a weapon that is worse, a weapon not itemized with you (like a str dps sword with mastery but not really a tank weapon), or suck it up and not be able to use your transmog you want.

The restrictions were listed before Transmog was available in the game. Aren't you lazy for not having thought of upgrading your gear to a different weapon type and not farming for different transmog items?

I went and farmed a bunch of axes prior to the patch and am currently hunting for maces. I don't look forward to the day I have a fist weapon, but when that day comes, I will be hunting for a matching weapon.

Yes but some people have a specific transmog in mind. It's not laziness, it's having gotten a weapon with your heart set on it completing your outfit you thought about months ago, only to be disappointed as you have to settle for another weapon that's not as good-looking as your current one just because it's a different weapon type.
Edited by Mokushi on 12/3/2011 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin

How does a weapon relate to a cloth robe? That argument doesn't make any sense.. The one thing that I think blizzard should do is make it where the "Main hand" weapons can be transmog'd into a one handed weapon... Blizzard ruined some of the fun putting that limitation in.. I have a few caster blades that would be fun to use for when I am tanking.. However I can't do so because it is not the same "slot"

Also Blizzard already made the compromise for guns/bows I don't see why weapons should be any different.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

For some people that one piece for every type of weapon just isn't possible, at the moment I cannot find a single one-handed mace that fits my style and outfit. I'm sure the same could go for many others regarding other weapon types.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
When a rogue is around I can judge spec by weapons, double sword?

What rogue goes double sword....
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
12/03/2011 12:40 PMPosted by Eclipsers
The one thing that I think blizzard should do is make it where the "Main hand" weapons can be transmog'd into a one handed weapon... Blizzard ruined some of the fun putting that limitation in.. I have a few caster blades that would be fun to use for when I am tanking.. However I can't do so because it is not the same "slot"

Wait, that limitation exists? Damn. I haven't tried it out yet so I had no idea. THAT is dumb. Even if blizz never loosened the axe/sword/mace/dagger and staff/polearm business, at the very least the main hand/one hand thing should be fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
12/03/2011 12:41 PMPosted by Dazreiello
For some people that one piece for every type of weapon just isn't possible, at the moment I cannot find a single one-handed mace that fits my style and outfit. I'm sure the same could go for many others regarding other weapon types.

This is Sharkon's pally, and this is exactly the state I'm in. There are only two 1h maces I like with this outfit. One is a Main Hand, and thus can't be mogged over my one-handed tank mace, and the other is a BoE world drop that hasn't come up on the AH yet.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Wait, that limitation exists? Damn. I haven't tried it out yet so I had no idea. THAT is dumb. Even if blizz never loosened the axe/sword/mace/dagger and staff/polearm business, at the very least the main hand/one hand thing should be fixed.

Well, that one does make a certain degree of sense. There are some MH/OH specified weapons out there (mainly fists) that have models that wouldn't look right when put in the hand they weren't intended for. However, for the most part that only applies to fists. I think they should just go back and turn most of the MH weapons into one-handers, since most of them are MH just because they're caster weapons, and there's really no reason to keep such a restriction in place. It's not like there are any casters that can dual wield, after all, which is why we're seeing some one-handed caster weapons in the current content tier.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]