WoW battle chest

(Locked)

11 Gnome Mage
im thinking about buying the digital wow battle chest but i was wondering if i buy it would it auto download the WoW BC to because i want to start playing the game asap but wont it take longer if it has to download the WoW BC, and i cant buy the original WoW because no stores have it online or at stores
60 Troll Hunter
We all play on the same client. So the down load for someone with Cataclysm is the same as someone with only the free trial. The upgrades that you buy simply unlock content access. If you already have the trial client on your computer you can go play right away. Otherwise you've got quite a bit of downloading and patching coming up. :D

P.S. it's totally worth it though!
85 Tauren Warrior
You should be able to find the battlechest in stores for around $20. That is your best option if you don't want to download the whole thing. It's a pretty big download. The fully unpacked Cataclysm client is about 25GB. The compressed download is still probably around 10-15GB.
11 Gnome Mage
so all i have to do is buy it on the digital games (i have downloaded WoW but i just have the starters account) and when i play WoW again ill be a full account and no downloading is necessary?
60 Troll Hunter
12/04/2011 12:30 PMPosted by Maginit
so all i have to do is buy it on the digital games (i have downloaded WoW but i just have the starters account) and when i play WoW again ill be a full account and no downloading is necessary?

Correct. your level restrictions will remove automatically, however the social ones (chat, AH, mail) may take up to 72 hours to lift.

Also if you haven't played in the last few weeks, there was a patch you'll need to download but with a medium speed internet connection your looking at 30 minutes tops to download it :D
90 Night Elf Druid
12/04/2011 12:27 PMPosted by Thander
You should be able to find the battlechest in stores for around $20. That is your best option if you don't want to download the whole thing. It's a pretty big download. The fully unpacked Cataclysm client is about 25GB. The compressed download is still probably around 10-15GB.

My experience was that even after I installed the Battlechest, the game pretty much re-downloaded everything again anyway. And when I added Cataclysm, I (stupidly) installed the DVD provided over my existing installation -

and had to wait while it redownloaded most if not all the game again!

Other's may have a different experience, but I'd be inclined to say "Never install the DVD that comes with Wow over an already working installation.

<S>
60 Troll Hunter
My experience was that even after I installed the Battlechest, the game pretty much re-downloaded everything again anyway. And when I added Cataclysm, I (stupidly) installed the DVD provided over my existing installation -

When you buy a retail copy do NOT intall the disc. This does start the download process again. All you have to do is take the CD code and put it on your account on battle.net
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/04/2011 12:41 PMPosted by Sylth
My experience was that even after I installed the Battlechest, the game pretty much re-downloaded everything again anyway.

Well yes, if you purchased a physical copy of the battlechest from a store and installed from the CD's. Those CD's (even the newly distributed ones) all have the game data as it was when that part of the game first came out.

If you had the free game client on your computer (because you were playing as a trial) and THEN put in that disk you bought, you would overwrite the fully updated game software on your computer with software that was extremely outdated again, and THEN have to wait for it to re-update back to what it was.

So if you installed off of a newly purchased WoW classic CD, the game will still automatically download everything that's been changed or added to the game since then over the past 7 years, regardless of what expansion the content was added in.

Cataclysm itself is now 1 year old, so installing off of a cataclysm CD would not get you the patches from 4.0.3 to 4.3 (the one that was just pushed to live this week), so you'd still have to wait for the game client to download those anyway.

The easiest way to go about this is to get the free game client download from Battle.net (which the OP already has because he's on the trial), then just add the CD keys, or digital upgrade to bump your account status to the next level.
Edited by Avanna on 12/4/2011 12:59 PM PST
11 Gnome Mage
but if i buy the digital version will it just go strait to the download or will my account just be updated?
60 Troll Hunter
No download just instant upgrade :D
11 Gnome Mage
ok thank you all for helping me im gonna upgrade my account tomorrow or today and if someone could add timeruptwo(hes my level 10 night elf hunter) so i could have some help would be nice
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/04/2011 01:04 PMPosted by Maginit
but if i buy the digital version will it just go strait to the download or will my account just be updated

You already have the whole game on your computer. The only time you will need to wait for a download ever again is when blizzard adds/changes something, you want to play on a different computer, or need to re-download because you wiped your hard drive.

What happens when you enter the CD key into Battle.net OR pay for a digital upgrade is simply bump your status on blizzard's servers. That's where your account information is stored and where you're locked out of features.
90 Night Elf Rogue
12/04/2011 01:11 PMPosted by Maginit
add timeruptwo(hes my level 10 night elf hunter) so i could have some help would be nice

No recruiting in this forum, sorry. Also note that the only people you can talk to in game are the ones that are on the same realm as you and also play on the same side as the horde/alliance conflict.

What you CAN do is once you upgrade. go to the realm specific forum for your realm and look for a guild that's willing to help new players. Look for the keywords: casual-leveling, social, willing to help. Avoid any posts that say: 5/6 (or some other fraction looking number), raiding, speed leveling, power leveling, LF experienced players (LF= looking for)

Also at the top of this forum is a "giving back" sticky. Look through that list and see if anyone there is on your realm and faction. The people there won't hold your hand through everything, but ARE willing to answer your questions in-game and possibly help you get started.
Edited by Avanna on 12/4/2011 1:23 PM PST
100 Human Mage
Starter accounts have MOST of the game downloaded onto their computer, but upon upgrading to Cataclysm they will receive an additional download of about 5GB consisting of data that is restricted to Cataclysm accounts. This data doesn't get downloaded until the launcher sees you login with a fully upgraded account.
16 Blood Elf Mage
I want the disk version of the Battle Chest, but I have the trial downloaded already. Would I have to pay regularly for membership with the disk version?
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
05/02/2012 03:54 PMPosted by Purpalis
I want the disk version of the Battle Chest, but I have the trial downloaded already. Would I have to pay regularly for membership with the disk version?

Please do not necro old threads. This one is from last year. Make your own thread next time so old and potentially outdated information isn't brought back up. (Also, people might think that the question being asked is the original post, and will keep answering that old question while ignoring yours.)

If you are asking if you can install the game from the disk, you are certainly free to do so. The client has no charge to download and/or install.

It's only when you upgrade your account from trial to a full account that you need to purchase the game, as well as start paying for the monthly subscription in order to keep playing after the initial 30 days.

Essentially, the client and your account are two separate entities. You don't pay for the client, but you do pay to unlock features of the game by upgrading your account and paying for game time.
90 Night Elf Rogue
05/02/2012 03:54 PMPosted by Purpalis

The membership fee exists regardless of whether you enter the CD key code from a physical disk into your battle.net account or whether you upgrade directly through blizzard on battle.net. You have the trial so there is no need for you to install from a disk. The battlechest CD (even ones being sold today) have the game software on them as it was 5+ years ago. Much has changed in the game since then, and that trial you downloaded is the full and current version of the game.

Other than the pretty box, a couple of horribly outdated guides, and a CD that's essentially a free coaster, the physical battlechest offers nothing of value to a player. If you want it as a collector or because you found it cheaper than blizzard's price, go for it, but you do not need the physical version to play, the digital works exactly the same.

Like I said, the trial you have installed on your computer is the full version of the game as it is currently. The stuff you can't do is locked from you by blizzard's servers so you can't access it without having the appropriate account status. All info about the game, your characters, and your account level is stored on blizzards servers. The game client software on your machine is mostly just textures, images, and instructions for your computer that tells it how to interact with blizzard's servers.

If you do decide to buy a physical copy, DON'T INSTALL ANYTHING. You already have a more updated version than what the CD has, and it will just result in you having to re-update it again when you go to start up the game. Just log into your battle.net account, open up your WoW trial account page, and look for something that says "CD key", then type in the CD key from inside the box. Ta-da, now you have up to level 70 and all the social things.

Upgrading through battle.net is essentially just paying blizzard directly for them to upgrade it for you, no CD key involved. Though you will have to wait up to 72 hours for your bank/credit card company to clear the transaction. During that wait time the leveling restrictions will be removed immediately, but the social stuff won't open until blizz gets the OK.
60 Troll Hunter
07/06/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Darkcoolios
wow how much is it for battle chest pleas b cheap

In the future please start your own thread.

But it is currently on sale for 10 dollars in the blizzard store it regularly goes for ~20 bucks USD :D
100 Tauren Druid
07/06/2012 02:25 PMPosted by Jilixx
wow how much is it for battle chest pleas b cheap

In the future please start your own thread.

But it is currently on sale for 10 dollars in the blizzard store it regularly goes for ~20 bucks USD :D

To add to this, as Jilixx said the Battlechest is normally 20, wrath of the lich king is normally 20 and Cataclysm is between 30-40 depending on where you buy it. Right now though you can get all of them for $30. This week only though
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]