Raid Finder Loot Exploit Suspensions

90 Gnome Warrior
I understand the initial fail was on the developer end...

Not being able to preemptively find and remove 100% of possible exploits is not a "fail" on the part of a game developer. This is just as ridiculous as saying that a store owner is culpable for a theft when not installing 100% of possible theft deterrents in their store when they got robbed ("hey - if you had installed those lethal machine gun turrets in your store then maybe you wouldn't get robbed so much!"). Game developers should be able to expect a certain level of integrity on their part of those who play their games to avoid exploiting game mechanics for unfair advantage. When you place any of the blame for this on Blizzard you open up the door for continued exploit by those who justify their actions simply because they found an exploitable mechanic.

100% of the guilt is on the part of those who chose to abuse the system and Blizzard would have been justified in banning them permanently. That they chose the course of action they did shows both the degree to which they take creating a level-playing field seriously and their leniency.
Edited by Precarious on 12/6/2011 10:31 AM PST
90 Human Paladin
Justice is served to the cheaters, now lets have some world first that's not taking by high end guilds!
90 Goblin Rogue
@Rockroll I seriously doubt Paragon would be exploiting LFR to obtain gear LOWER than the gear they've already obtained. just sayin.
4 Draenei Shaman
Thank you. A lot of players were worried they would get away with it because they are top end guilds.

Also, thank you for letting us know what's going on so people could spread a few less rumors about the whole mess.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I am not sure if the punishment is fitting of the crime in this instance. This was not just 1 guild exploiting this loophole, this was basically every top guild in the world. To not do the same thing your competitors are doing would have been foolish because there was a very good chance Blizzard would not have taken such a hardline stance on this issue.

While I feel that deliberately cheating a game mechanic is bad, and deserves to be punished, taking away an entire week of progression from the worlds best guilds devalues it for everyone... someone like me who will be ranking much higher than I probably would be otherwise.
90 Draenei Shaman
12/06/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Drìck
@Rockroll I seriously doubt Paragon would be exploiting LFR to obtain gear LOWER than the gear they've already obtained. just sayin.

Tank 4-piece set bonuses give you another raid damage avoidance cooldown to work with, regardless of ilvl. That's better than the marginal loss of ilvl resulting from moving one to four pieces from 391 to 384.

I am not sure if the punishment is fitting of the crime in this instance. This was not just 1 guild exploiting this loophole, this was basically every top guild in the world. To not do the same thing your competitors are doing would have been foolish because there was a very good chance Blizzard would not have taken such a hardline stance on this issue.

While I feel that deliberately cheating a game mechanic is bad, and deserves to be punished, taking away an entire week of progression from the worlds best guilds devalues it for everyone... someone like me who will be ranking much higher than I probably would be otherwise.

Basically, what you had was a breakdown of norms against cheating. The way you reinstitute those norms is to make clear that cheating will not be tolerated. The punishment has to hurt enough that the marginal return on the cheating is less than the risk of being caught, or else Blizzard creates a situation where it is in everyone's best interest to cheat.
Edited by Kiava on 12/6/2011 10:37 AM PST
90 Undead Priest
Better yet - get their corporate sponsorship yanked. I really doubt many hardware companies want to back cheaters and exploiters.
85 Orc Shaman
Its a good call, the least they deeserve was one week off heroic modes. I think it would be better if they can't receive any world first achievements this tier but maybe that's too much, i dont know.

I hope next time they think twice before cheating.
85 Draenei Shaman
Will DREAM Paragon be joining this ban? It's pretty obvious they been hard at work on exploiting for gear.
3 Gnome Rogue
Deserved, cheating is cheating, doesnt matter who is doing it.

Ps.: Hey Bash, we are now starting an argument about the CM's on the Brazilian forum.
I think someone said that you guys are aliens, while I think you're actually just robots.
Sorry for the off topic, just giving you a heads up, is all.
19 Human Warrior
Awesome!!! Many thanks blizz, you did the only good choice!

+250 Blizzard (yes it was a rep quest)
85 Orc Shaman
12/06/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Drìck

Some set bonuses (tanks, warlock, etc) and some trinquets are better the ones in LFR than in Firelands Heroic even with little less stats.
90 Gnome Warrior

There are a number of "top guilds" who appear to have not exploited the LFR system, despite their competitors doing so (e.g. Vodka, Blood Legion, Premonition). "Everybody else is doing it" is never a valid excuse for wrong behavior.
90 Human Priest
Why only 8 days suspension?

They compromised the integrity of the game. Ban them forever and make a real statement, rather than a nuisance ban.
85 Undead Priest
Glad to hear something was decided and implemented.

I feel that a temporary ban is appropriate if that ban is/was at least 72hrs or more and would apply punishment in the form of delaying if not blocking these guilds from guild firsts which I feel they were cheating to gain anyway. The removal of loot is as it should be since it was not gained fairly also.

In reply to those saying the fault was on developer end. Most of the guilds have played since the beginning of WoW and fully understood how lockouts and loots are supposed to work. They knew when they did this that is was a bug and still chose to abuse it instead of report it. These were not "nubs" that were clueless.

As for those saying " my guild would have gotten permabanned" I would hope that blizz realizes that across the board fairness in props and punishment is what the majority of players expect and would abide by that idea too.
Edited by Pushnupdazys on 12/6/2011 10:43 AM PST
85 Draenei Mage
Awesome! Respect goes out to Blizzard for upholding their rules :)
85 Dwarf Hunter
Why only 8 days suspension?

They compromised the integrity of the game. Ban them forever and make a real statement, rather than a nuisance ban.

It will seriously hamper if not completely demolish certain guilds chances of getting world first DW kill, taking that away from them is just as bad as a perm ban
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]