BOA?

(Locked)

90 Worgen Hunter
So, BOA stands for BINDS TO ACCOUNT right? OK. So why the hell can't I send my BOA gear across servers. I know we all know that we can't. But really. It's false representation. Seriously. I know I am only one player and Blizz can really give a .... but I didnt work that hard for that gear to not be able to have to use it on "MY ACCOUNT". HENCE FRAKEN BOA. Yes it pisses me off and yeah it makes me want to quit the game but WOW is to fun to play. Just wanted to vent and hopefully have Blizz do something. (LIKE REALLY THAT WILL HAPPEN). At least change what the gear is called. So Blizz tell us why you guys have created gear called BINDS TO ACCOUNT and not allow that to happen? By the way 4.3 rocks.
Edited by Persephonee on 11/30/2011 9:34 AM PST
90 Gnome Rogue
It's a technical issue with sending things across realms. Blizzard is working on it.
85 Goblin Hunter
Dead horse is dead.
85 Tauren Paladin
BRB looking up Frosthawk's BOA FAQ....

Welcome to the Bind on Account Item FAQ!

I'm your host, Crusader Frosthawk!

Today I will be answering a few questions that many, many people have asked, time and time again, since the inception of "Bind on Account", or "BoA", items. New developments have created renewed interest in the items and I have taken the time to compile a list of questions and answers for your convenience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What are BoA items?

A: Bind on Account items are items which use a "binding" variation introduced in the Wrath of the Lich King Expansion. They are similar to "Bind on Pickup" items, but instead of being restricted to a single character, they are restricted to your account.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Can I send them from a character on one faction to a character on the other faction?

A: They did not initially have this functionality, but we decided to be nice and make this possible with the standard mail system. Simply type your other-faction character's name into the mail address box and that will work.

Q: Can I send them from a character on one server to a character on another server?

A: Not by mail, no. Currently, the only method for transfering BoA items across servers is with a Character Transfer.

Q: Why the hell not!?

A: There is no system in place to facilitate moving simple items from one server to another.

Q: Why don't they make one?

A: Core game code such as the mail system, which was written years ago, has a whole lot of other things depending on it to function the way it does. Such an overhaul of the way the system functions would require huge amounts of development time to make sure that it both works correctly and doesn't break anything. In addition, the seperate servers do not communicate with eachother.

Q: But they already communicate during a Character Transfer. Why not extend that functionality for cross-server item transfers?

A: Mailing an item from one character to another on the same server is like moving a file from one folder to another on the same computer.
Transfering a character to a different server is like cutting and pasting a folder onto a flash drive, and then physically transfering the folder to another computer, without the two computers interacting an any way.
This does not solve the issue of the lack of communication between servers.

Q: Why not just add a "server textbox" to the mail window?

A: Creating an interface element is a much simpler task than overhauling the programming to allow for such an element. Simply adding another box won't magically make it possible.

Q: So if you can't send them across servers, isn't "Bind on Account" lying? Shouldn't it be "Bind on Server"?

A: This is an incorrect assumption. Firstly, you can send them between servers, just not by mail. Secondly, you are misunderstanding the term "bind" and how it relates to "account". "Bind" means "stuck on", "restricted to", and so on. Therefore, BoA items are "restricted to your account", which is the correct description for how the items function. Similarly, "Bind on Server" is both an incorrect term for how BoA items function, and an incorrect term for how all items function.

Q: There are pets and mounts that are mailed to every character on your account. Why not just make BoA items like that?

A: There is a difference between an infinite number of "Bind on Pickup" items and a single "Bind on Account" item. In addition, the way the pets and mounts from the online store function is by having a website change one of the flags on your account, which spawns a copy of the item in all of your characters' mailboxes. There is no way for the game itself, while playing (which is how BoA items are obtained), to change your account flags.

Q: In 4.1, the tag was changed from "Bind on Account" to "Bind on Battle.net Account". Does that mean I can mail them from one server to another?

A: No. This means that they are "restricted to your Battle.net account", as was explained earlier. Your Battle.net Account can have any number of World of Warcraft Accounts attached to it.

Q: So now they've figured out how we can send them to other accounts. Shouldn't making them be able to be mailed across servers be just as easy?

A: Mailing (or, indeed, physically trading) an item to a person of a different account has been a function of the applicable systems since day one.

Q: So why is Blizzard so heart-set on not letting us mail BoA items across servers?

A: They aren't. Blizzard genuinely wants to make this possible. It's just that it takes time, and they have to keep their priorities straight. Since BoA items are not a required asset for anything in the game, they would rather keep developing new content to tide over everyone who complains about being bored.

Thus concludes our FAQ session!

This has been Crusader Frosthawk! Have a nice day!
Edited by Legendaîry on 11/30/2011 9:39 AM PST
85 Human Paladin
Maybe learn to use the SEARCH function on the forums. This has been discussed hundreds of times.

Then people will complain about necro posts and complain about that. People will complain about anything and everything.
85 Tauren Paladin
11/30/2011 09:41 AMPosted by Adiemus
Maybe learn to use the SEARCH function on the forums. This has been discussed hundreds of times.

Then people will complain about necro posts and complain about that. People will complain about anything and everything.

A blue posted a good guideline to follow about necroing a thread. I'll simplify it further, though....

If the thread is more than 14 days old, leave it alone unless you are the OP. If it's more than a month old, just leave it alone.

Also, using the search function doesn't mean you're required to post a reply in the thread you find. You can read the thread, find the answer or look for another thread on the same topic.
85 Blood Elf Mage
11/30/2011 09:32 AMPosted by Persephonee
So, BOA stands for BINDS TO ACCOUNT right? OK. So why the hell can't I send my BOA gear across servers. I know we all know that we can't. But really. It's false representation. Seriously. I know I am only one player and Blizz can really give a .... but I didnt work that hard for that gear to not be able to have to use it on "MY ACCOUNT". HENCE FRAKEN BOA. Yes it pisses me off and yeah it makes me want to quit the game but WOW is to fun to play. Just wanted to vent and hopefully have Blizz do something. (LIKE REALLY THAT WILL HAPPEN). At least change what the gear is called. So Blizz tell us why you guys have created gear called BINDS TO ACCOUNT and not allow that to happen? By the way 4.3 rocks.

How an item is bound has absolutely nothing to do with the method of transfer required to make use of the binding. BOA is actually "Binds On (Battlenet) Account". These items can be used by any character you make, on any WoW license, on any realm and faction, on one Battlenet Account. That is a fact.

Now for the secondary issue of moving them around from the buyer to other characters they are bound to...

Characters are on the same realm, same faction, same license: in-game mail
Characters are on the same realm, same faction, different license: in-game mail or face-to-face transfer
Characters are on the same realm, different faction, same/different license: in-game mail
Characters are on a different realm, same/different faction, same/different license: character transfer

Very, very simple.....
Edited by Samanthâ on 11/30/2011 9:48 AM PST
100 Undead Death Knight
This again?

everything is "Bind to server"
nothing can be mailed across servers.

Not BoE, not unbound items (like linen cloth), not BoA.

They just felt it would be silly to label every item "Bind to Server", on top of other bindings like BoP, BoE, BoA, etc.

Currently the only way to move anything across servers is with a server transfer of a character.
90 Worgen Hunter
Y a know I woke up this morning in a bad mood. I needed to vent about worthless crap. lol. Thanks for making my day brighter. LOL. Also I did mention that I know we can't. And yes they did change the name to Battle.net account. Again just venting. So @ ElevelEleven how bout you get a life an chill the ... out. Also this is general Disc. thread we can say whatever we want here. Which i just figured out just right now that you can to. So Happy gaming all. :)
90 Worgen Hunter
:) THX @ Maehara
They were gonna call it: Binds to account as long as you are only mailing it to characters within your server and in your same Battle.net account, but they though that would be too confusing.

Guess they were wrong, some people just have a hard time understanding the basics...
90 Worgen Hunter
Most of you are missing my point here. It was more about the way Blizz named it. Which ever way its miss leading. Maybe call it BOS? BINDS TO SERVER? Just sayin. And yes there are NOOBS out there. Remember you were one to so to call someone a noob as a bad thing yr also making fun of yr old self. Just sayin. Hey new topic? :)
6 Undead Hunter
They wouldn't be able to empty your wallet if you could do that .
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
11/30/2011 10:24 AMPosted by Persephonee
Most of you are missing my point here. It was more about the way Blizz named it. Which ever way its miss leading. Maybe call it BOS? BINDS TO SERVER? Just sayin. And yes there are NOOBS out there. Remember you were one to so to call someone a noob as a bad thing yr also making fun of yr old self. Just sayin. Hey new topic? :)

Q: So if you can't send them across servers, isn't "Bind on Account" lying? Shouldn't it be "Bind on Server"?

A: This is an incorrect assumption. Firstly, you can send them between servers, just not by mail. Secondly, you are misunderstanding the term "bind" and how it relates to "account". "Bind" means "stuck on", "restricted to", and so on. Therefore, BoA items are "restricted to your account", which is the correct description for how the items function. Similarly, "Bind on Server" is both an incorrect term for how BoA items function, and an incorrect term for how all items function.

Also, how does the fact that we were once bad change that fact that others are now bad?
Edited by Karat on 11/30/2011 10:27 AM PST
85 Troll Rogue
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=boa%20realm&f=post

Hey look, there are only 1457 threads about this!
GO GO 1,5k!!
85 Troll Rogue
Nvm, I just found 2697 more

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/search?q=boa+server
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]