[Former Elemental Guide]: New guide linked

85 Orc Rogue
Didn't read through all 18 pages, but saw no reference under damaging spells to "Fire Nova". I checked the AOE section and didn't see it either.

Is it just that bad?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
It's extremely situational. Because the removed increasing FlS timer every time you fire nova and gave us a no CD CL instead it's just better to spam that. They boosted EQ's damage as well (still pretty terrible damage though).

I use it periodically on Madness when I want to proc spellweaving. It's an enhance move now.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Ah, another Teriz alt.

03/06/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Shamus
I use it periodically on Madness when I want to proc spellweaving. It's an enhance move now.

I find it rather hilarious/dumb that a move that used to be exclusively for Elemental PvP is now exclusively Enhancement AoE.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I usually reforge (for PvP) Mastery>Haste.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
So... I just got my resto 4-pc and it's pretty sick basically having lust for both potions, anyone else using this little trick? If you aren't you really should, pay people to stack LFR if you gotta.
Edited by Dankush on 3/9/2012 4:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
03/09/2012 04:46 AMPosted by Dankush
So... I just got my resto 4-pc and it's pretty sick basically having lust for both potions, anyone else using this little trick? If you aren't you really should, pay people to stack LFR if you gotta.

I heard about it, but have never done it. I rarely run LFR with Liax unless I want to try my luck on the spine trinket. I should really go through the guide and touch up on a few things and find a place for this if I can.

Sad thing is I used to have the resto LFR chest, but now I vendored it awhile ago.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Hi all, if I'm casting consecutive LBs and my Lava Burst refreshes, is it better to have a stopcasting macro to cancel a halfway LB, or should I let that LB finish and then cast Lava Burst?

Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Always finish the cast.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Thoughts on normal Vagaries of Time vs. LFR Rathrak, the Poisonous Mind?

About to simcraft it, just thought I'd throw the question out there since I picked up Vagaries this week.

Edit: never mind, Vagaries sims out at a ~400 DPS boost in my gear.
Edited by Mirax on 3/18/2012 4:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am still relatively new to elemental and the class in general, but I feel my dps is terrible. This character is still new, but I struggle breaking 20k dps, usually lower on movement/switching fights. SimCraft has me at like 35k with this gear. I've been trying Elementarist to see if that can smooth out the mistakes I sometimes make in my rotation and I think it will add a few k but it still seems low.

Are there any tips for people who have read this thread, the EJ thread, etc but are perhaps missing something in execution? Am I just doing terrible due to lack of 4pc and a real weapon?

Any tips would be great, thanks.

edit:
Okay, I re-ran it (I'm not sure what changed) and SimCraft has me at 27-29k depending on skill. Take out potions and flasks (which I haven't used in the RF numbers I was looking at) and maybe its a bit closer. Maybe it is just terrible gear . . .
Edited by Gamil on 3/22/2012 1:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
While you have several armory issues (resilience, gemming mastery, enchanting 50 mastery instead of haste on gloves [go 65 mastery or go 50 haste]) none of them are going to cause massive DPS loss.

The only answer I can give is a rotation issue. If you have a log I'll take a look at it. You can also use power auras over elementarist. If you set it up right it's pretty good.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I was using power auras but I didn't feel I was watching them well enough (or assumed I wasn't which was causing the dps loss). The helm with resil was the best I've been able to get so far. Most things I had read said that haste and mastery were approximately equal to each other so I hadn't been too picky when gemming/enchanting/reforging. But yeah, none of them seemed to be in the 10k dps range. I'll try to post a parse this week when I get to Dragon Soul, I think this guy will be in a regular 10m DS run.

It might be that I'm just still learning the spec and will get better with time. Thanks for the input.

edit: Just target dummied for like 8 min, was around 21k no buffs, flasks, potions, etc. Maybe I did clean up my rotation somewhat or maybe it was just easier without the real fight to worry about (not that many RF fights have much to worry about)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/eaowjrzes7erxcyg/details/2/
Edited by Gamil on 3/22/2012 2:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Don't get my wrong, it's good, but greatest part about the Elemental spec is that it's completely subjective. I don't raid often on this toon, it's kind of my play around back-up with my Spriest being both my lead PvE and PvP toon, but from what I HAVE done on it I like my current setup. Mine works for me, and I went against many of your major commandments. I can roll the DPS needed and expected from a raider. I would just reccomend it to be known that yes, this is a very good base, but it's not the law.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
03/23/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Bolted
Don't get my wrong, it's good, but greatest part about the Elemental spec is that it's completely subjective. I don't raid often on this toon, it's kind of my play around back-up with my Spriest being both my lead PvE and PvP toon, but from what I HAVE done on it I like my current setup. Mine works for me, and I went against many of your major commandments. I can roll the DPS needed and expected from a raider. I would just reccomend it to be known that yes, this is a very good base, but it's not the law.

If you know what you're doing you can gear, spec, and enchant the wrong way and still pull good numbers. It doesn't change the fact that you're gimping yourself. You're being very vague with what you say you do differently so I can only guess. At a glance it looks like you're not really focusing on mastery, and have more crit then would be recommended (though you are forging out of it). You also don't run with the flame shock glyph.

I don't know what you want us to say. You're playing wrong. You may not look like a fish out of water on the recount meters, but you can do better. DPS is math. Plain and simple. You either play right, or you play wrong.

Therefore, you are wrong.
Edited by Liax on 3/23/2012 4:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
03/23/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Bolted
I can roll the DPS needed and expected from a raider. I would just reccomend it to be known that yes, this is a very good base, but it's not the law.

We're not talking about necessarily just being able to pull what's required. All that's required from that is understanding the mechanics behind the rotation and being able to execute it properly.

The big thing is attempting to maximize your damage. Altering your gear/gems/enchants/glyphs to a more optimal setup will grant you an increase in dps. Assuming you're executing the rotation properly, everything else is math. There are ways to increase your damage output further (Chest/Shield/Glove/Bracer/possibly boot enchant, reforging for a completely optimal setup for your secondary stats, and picking up Glyph of Flame Shock over Lightning Bolt or Lava Burst for example) but none of them are required to perform well enough to prevent you from being strong at your level.

You won't really see issues keeping up so long as you're executing the rotation properly up till you get to guilds that're at least on the level of 1/8H. I'm personally in favor of doing the best that you possibly can at any level, so I'll always suggest doing things in the manner that is most likely to get one the top dps.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Hey Liax, any tips on my reforging? Would be much appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
03/23/2012 11:18 PMPosted by Cyndaquil
Hey Liax, any tips on my reforging? Would be much appreciated.

You can start by reforging yourself into a better pokemon starter.

ZING

Well for starters (SEE WUT I DID THAR) you have 115 crit rating but I, for the life of me, cannot figure out where it comes from besides the 35 crit rating from helm, and this infuriates me.

You should pull ahead on your mastery more with the legendary. Your haste and mastery are pretty even which isn't bad, but you'll find more mastery over haste to be better. You should also be able to shave off that hit rating by a little bit, if not perfectly hit 17%.

As for what you should actually be reforging my suggestion would be to simcraft your stat weights, and get the reforgelite addon. You can plug your stat weights in there and then it will maximize everything for you.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Well for starters (SEE WUT I DID THAR) you have 115 crit rating but I, for the life of me, cannot figure out where it comes from besides the 35 crit rating from helm, and this infuriates me..

He's a Skinner.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
03/24/2012 08:04 PMPosted by Gene
He's a Skinner.

I hate this stupid game.

I spent like 5 minutes staring at it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Thanks for the help, where should I be aiming for haste wise? Nice guild name by the way :P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]