New Lore: "Charge of the Aspects" Story

Community Manager
The Cenarion Circle's victory in the Firelands offers Azeroth a brief reprieve. With the elemental armies of Deathwing the Destroyer broken and the Twilight's Hammer still reeling from its loss in the Bastion of Twilight, the tide has finally turned in favor of Azeroth's defenders.

Emboldened by these triumphs, the Earthen Ring, the Cenarion Circle, and the remaining Dragon Aspects have completed the ritual to heal the World Tree Nordrassil. Now, the three groups shift their attention and energies toward using Nordrassil to mend their shattered world.

Their efforts may well be in vain, however, for they will soon see that they cannot afford to waste any more time before they deal with the true threat to Azeroth: Deathwing.

---

I have murdered one of my own.

The thought hit Nozdormu the Timeless One the instant he saw the desiccated bronze dragon. Zirion had shriveled into a husk half his original size. Lesions covered his body from head to tail. Instead of blood, golden sand cascaded out of the wounds in unending streams upon which shimmered ghostly images of his life that had not yet come to pass. His future was bleeding out of him.

Nozdormu strode across one of the isolated peaks of Mount Hyjal to stand by Zirion's side, every moment of history rippling over the Timeless One's sun-colored scales. As he loomed over the dying dragon, a wave of helplessness flooded through him. An impenetrable veil had descended on the timeways, one that not even he, the Aspect of the bronze dragonflight and the Guardian of Time, could pierce. The past and future—things he had once seen with clarity—had become muddled.

---

Blizzard Entertainment is proud to present the latest entry in the Expanded Universe short story series, "Charge of the Aspects"!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/lore/short-story/charge-aspects/1
Edited by Daxxarri on 12/6/2011 11:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
It was a decent read, up until the total upset of Screen Time Stealing Thrall.

The entire lines that were given to Thrall seemed very forced, as if to conglomerate all the bad story writing that has revolved around Thrall in Cataclysm as a justification.

The story shifted from the Aspects story to a "We gotta save Thrall." Story.

Sorry, but 2/10. Mary Sues are bad. At least you didn't implement it as an ingame quest line for a free cloak...
Edited by Seebach on 12/6/2011 1:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
71 Night Elf Druid
I enjoyed the Thrall/Deathwing interaction.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
12/06/2011 07:40 PMPosted by Serennia
I enjoyed the Thrall/Deathwing interaction.
same, except for the part where he got all the strength of azeroth in his hand and attacked. That was really cheesy and stupid. Also during the interaction that he ended up attacking deathwing before deathwing attacked. That part made Thrall look like a bully and that Deathwing was just defending himself. If you want to describe Deathwing as the main bad guy don't have the good guy attacking first. It just makes people start to dislike Thrall that much more.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
12/07/2011 03:16 PMPosted by Lonus
same, except for the part where he got all the strength of azeroth in his hand and attacked. That was really cheesy and stupid. Also during the interaction that he ended up attacking deathwing before deathwing attacked. That part made Thrall look like a bully and that Deathwing was just defending himself. If you want to describe Deathwing as the main bad guy don't have the good guy attacking first. It just makes people start to dislike Thrall that much more.

Thrall's a bully for attacking the dragon responsible for the Cataclysm, near destruction of the blues and actively attacking mortals as well as trying to summon Old Gods? Furthermore, if you thought you had the power to kill Deathwing, even though he isn't attacking, wouldn't you also attack him?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
12/07/2011 03:16 PMPosted by Lonus
Also during the interaction that he ended up attacking deathwing before deathwing attacked. That part made Thrall look like a bully and that Deathwing was just defending himself. If you want to describe Deathwing as the main bad guy don't have the good guy attacking first.

Is Han Solo a bad guy for shooting Darth Vader on sight?
Reply Quote
93 Gnome Warrior
I liked this one quite a bit. Each major character had a defined role, and this was carried out quite well. Plus, definitely if you have the power to kill Deathwing, you will be smart to attack first.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
12/11/2011 02:06 AMPosted by Gruffe
Thrall's a bully for attacking the dragon responsible for the Cataclysm, near destruction of the blues and actively attacking mortals as well as trying to summon Old Gods?
I understand why he attacked him, it's just the fact that he escalated the conflict from being verbal to physical is just a bad way of showing that he has good intentions. Just think of it, if you saw someone talking to someone else that you knew they didn't like and they were insulting each other, wouldn't you lose respect for the guy who attacked first? Because imo, the fact that they attacked first is an indication that they couldn't win the fight verbally so they had to step it up a notch in order to win.

12/11/2011 02:06 AMPosted by Gruffe
Furthermore, if you thought you had the power to kill Deathwing, even though he isn't attacking, wouldn't you also attack him?
Depends on the situation. If I knew I had the power to kill him, would it really be that bad for me to stick around and gather as much information as I could from him, since after all I am in a war against him and he thinks he has the upper hand anyways? Besides, if Thrall thought he had the power to defeat deathwing, then why not wait until deathwing lost enough patience and attack? If you had enough power to defeat someone, then don't you think you would have enough power to withstand one of their attacks as well?
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
12/11/2011 04:02 PMPosted by Egrem
Also during the interaction that he ended up attacking deathwing before deathwing attacked. That part made Thrall look like a bully and that Deathwing was just defending himself. If you want to describe Deathwing as the main bad guy don't have the good guy attacking first.

Not the same situation here. Deathwing and Thrall were talking with one another and when Thrall decided that he couldn't take talking anymore he attacked. That's just an indication that he couldn't stand talking to him anymore and that he thought he could beat him physically. That's a loss in my book, and just portrays Thrall as a bully for the good side. If this weren't a life or death situation and I was there, I'd join Deathwing's side because I would want to fight alongside someone respectful and honorable. Not someone who takes advantage of every single thing they see.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/15/2011 11:51 AMPosted by Lonus

Not the same situation here. Deathwing and Thrall were talking with one another and when Thrall decided that he couldn't take talking anymore he attacked. That's just an indication that he couldn't stand talking to him anymore and that he thought he could beat him physically. That's a loss in my book, and just portrays Thrall as a bully for the good side. If this weren't a life or death situation and I was there, I'd join Deathwing's side because I would want to fight alongside someone respectful and honorable. Not someone who takes advantage of every single thing they see.

Well Deathwing has caused a lot of destruction and to be honest I don't blame Thrall for attacking. Also if you want to say if you saw two people insulting each other and one threw the first punch... that is apply able either. This is one good guy against a very insane evil person.

I don't think it's really logical to think that. Lastly Thrall isn't a mary sue, the fact he had to be saved kind of says it, if he wasn't in trouble I can bet people would complain about that.

Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Warrior
Who is the mortal being speaking with the dwarven accent Thrall encounters on his spirit journey beneath Khaz Modan? Might it be Magni? It would make sense for Blizz to put him back in in some way, with a further development of earthen lore to boot. Having Magni "transcend his physical self" and bond with the earth fits very well with dwarven lore development as well, so I sort of see this as being the case.

But if it's not, then who or what is it?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Too little too late. This fixes all the issues with the Dragon Soul long after the issues hurt the story's immersion and credibility.
Reply Quote
88 Undead Warlock
t was a decent read, up until the total upset of Screen Time Stealing Thrall.

The entire lines that were given to Thrall seemed very forced, as if to conglomerate all the bad story writing that has revolved around Thrall in Cataclysm as a justification.

Sorry, but 2/10. Mary Sues are bad. At least you didn't implement it as an ingame quest line for a free cloak...

People cant even agree on what a dam Mary Sue is. (Rarely is it ever used in its original context)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

As you can see above....but I GUESS IN THIS CASE what you mean is " Mary Sue as Center of Attention" as referred to in the article.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
12/17/2011 09:33 PMPosted by Golion
Well Deathwing has caused a lot of destruction and to be honest I don't blame Thrall for attacking. Also if you want to say if you saw two people insulting each other and one threw the first punch... that is apply able either. This is one good guy against a very insane evil person.
Well I'm just saying for future stories that Blizzard writes, they should portray their main villain as evil and takes every advantage that they can and have the hero winning the verbal interaction causing the villain to be a sore loser and attack. In this story, I understood the background and knew that this was a life or death situation but still while reading it, I just felt like the character roles were reversed. That's why I feel (based on why I posted in a blizzard thread instead of posting my own) that in the future Blizz should try to keep their character roles in check.

12/17/2011 09:33 PMPosted by Golion
I don't think it's really logical to think that. Lastly Thrall isn't a mary sue, the fact he had to be saved kind of says it, if he wasn't in trouble I can bet people would complain about that.
Yeah I know that, but still as I said in my last paragraph, I feel that the character roles were reversed and that they shouldn't have been. But still though, if you have enough energy to attack, don't you think you would have enough energy to defend as well? Besides, everything that was being said in their conversation was very important intel, and that for all we know, Thrall could have had an easier time defeating Deathwing if he had stayed longer to learn more.

Btw this is Lonus if you were confused.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Who is the mortal being speaking with the dwarven accent Thrall encounters on his spirit journey beneath Khaz Modan? Might it be Magni? It would make sense for Blizz to put him back in in some way, with a further development of earthen lore to boot. Having Magni "transcend his physical self" and bond with the earth fits very well with dwarven lore development as well, so I sort of see this as being the case.

But if it's not, then who or what is it?
I just assumed that it was some Earthen. I didn't think that it was a foreshadowing of the return of Magni, rather it seemed more like a showing of the world and its diverse creatures throughout it.
Reply Quote
t was a decent read, up until the total upset of Screen Time Stealing Thrall.

People cant even agree on what a dam Mary Sue is. (Rarely is it ever used in its original context)

As you can see above....but I GUESS IN THIS CASE what you mean is " Mary Sue as Center of Attention" as referred to in the article.

Thrall is a Mary Sue.

/Arguement
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight

Thrall is a Mary Sue.

/Arguement
I can see that you're trolling so let me post one of my own.

You misspelled Argument. There is no e between argu and ment, though I do understand your mistake since argue does have an e at the end. Just in the future, make sure to remember that Argument has one e and that it's at the end of the sentence and not at the beginning.
Edited by Vynathlon on 1/9/2012 5:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
31 Undead Rogue
12/06/2011 11:08 AMPosted by Daxxarri
Emboldened by these triumphs, the Earthen Ring, the Cenarion Circle, and the remaining Dragon Aspects

murdered

Blizzard Entertainment
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]