Private Servers?

(Locked)

58 Goblin Death Knight
What are private servers? I have heard about them but I have never seen or played one.

Thank you for any answer given.
- Customer Support
10 Blood Elf Priest
They are illegal.
25 Night Elf Druid
Illegal
58 Goblin Death Knight
How are they illegal?
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Blizzard owns the rights to their game. No one else can run a server of WoW legally.
58 Goblin Death Knight
I understand they are illegal. But HOW?!?!?!
90 Gnome Warlock
They are basically using the Warcraft name, without paying anything to the creator. Not to mention, most of them are involved in some fairly shady practices that can lead to you getting your "real" account hijacked and stripped.
90 Orc Shaman
12/08/2011 07:48 PMPosted by Moneriùs

Technically, in lawyer-speak, all of the content of the game is copyrighted. To run a WOW server without Blizzard's permission has to violate copyright law, because you have to make an illegal copy of the WOW assets in order to run the server. That's why it's illegal.
25 Night Elf Druid
12/08/2011 07:48 PMPosted by Moneriùs

Copy rights.

Blizzard and Sony both have successfully sued the makers of emu servers in the past
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well Moneriùs, private servers are custom versions of WoW if you will. They are frowned upon by Blizzard, and are illegal to participate in. They also take the fun out of the game. I'd suggest staying away from them at all costs. And most of all they make Baby Thrall cry.
58 Goblin Death Knight
So, let me get this straight. They are illegal but why are they illegal?
Support Forum Agent
What are private servers? I have heard about them but I have never seen or played one.

Thank you for any answer given.

To expound upon what the others have said, Monerius, private servers are generally set up to run a copy of World of Warcraft and is by no means officially sanctioned or actually permitted.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/19993

They do not have our permission to use run these servers and if caught can have legal action taken against them.
90 Orc Shaman
12/08/2011 07:50 PMPosted by Moneriùs
So, let me get this straight. They are illegal but why are they illegal?

I already answered you.

Technically, in lawyer-speak, all of the content of the game is copyrighted. To run a WOW server without Blizzard's permission violates copyright law, because you have to make an illegal copy of the WOW assets in order to run the server. That's why it's illegal.
58 Goblin Death Knight
So, they are just like retail WoW but with more responsibility?

Also, what if someone copies and changes it drastically. Is it legal than?
Edited by Moneriùs on 12/8/2011 7:54 PM PST
25 Night Elf Druid
12/08/2011 07:53 PMPosted by Moneriùs
So, they are just like retail WoW but with more responsibility?

No.

Retail WoW is legal.

Private servers are not.

90 Gnome Warlock
No. They are blatant rip-off copies of "retail WoW".

12/08/2011 07:53 PMPosted by Moneriùs
Also, what if someone copies and changes it drastically. Is it legal than?

That would be model editing, so no, its not.
Edited by Wickedkittin on 12/8/2011 7:54 PM PST
58 Goblin Death Knight
But that's what RIFT did and they are legal. Why hasn't Blizzard done anything to them?
90 Pandaren Hunter
Uh, RIFT is nothing like WoW. Stop trying to make an argument here.
Support Forum Agent
12/08/2011 07:56 PMPosted by Moneriùs
But that's what RIFT did and they are legal. Why hasn't Blizzard done anything to them?

No, that is not. While there are some similarities, they are not the same game. Most games often will borrow from others in the industry. You can see that influence in pretty much any game you might play.

90 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm sorry, but how exactly did Rift do anything of the sort?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]