Private Servers?

(Locked)

90 Gnome Warlock
Rift is a completely different game. Different graphics, different play-style, different races. Private servers are EXACT copies of the real game, although usually much buggier, and with more risk of having your account stolen.

"Retail WoW" = good.
Rift or other completely different MMO = good.
Private Server = bad.

Not that hard to understand, surely?
58 Goblin Death Knight
12/08/2011 07:58 PMPosted by Scrinshee
I'm sorry, but how exactly did Rift do anything of the sort?

They have a very a similar UI and similar class names. Ok, thank you all for the answers.
1 Night Elf Druid
12/08/2011 07:56 PMPosted by Moneriùs
But that's what RIFT did and they are legal. Why hasn't Blizzard done anything to them?

RIFT did not reverse engineer WoW software to make their product. It also doesn't use the same WoW models/graphics, sounds/music to replicate the game.
25 Night Elf Druid
12/08/2011 07:56 PMPosted by Moneriùs
But that's what RIFT did and they are legal. Why hasn't Blizzard done anything to them?

That's like saying WoW stole from Dungeons and Dragons.

Have you actually played Rift? I have. They're not alike
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
12/08/2011 07:53 PMPosted by Moneriùs
So, they are just like retail WoW but with more responsibility?

No they aren't.

They are not legally bound to the same strict security standards Blizzard is and don't confirm to the same responsibility Blizzard does.

They have been known to install key loggers and viruses on peoples computers. This is no ideal jest. We get people in the #wowtech channel who have root kits on their computers from participating on private servers.

EDIT : Also did some google research and Private servers are illegal on Rift as well.

EDIT2:

http://www.trionworlds.com/en/legal/terms-of-use?__utma=1.1373667127.1323403337.1323403337.1323403337.1&__utmb=1.4.10.1323403337&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1323403337.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=rift%2520private%2520servers%2522&__utmv=-&__utmk=112983556

^^ Rift Terms of Use clearly making private servers illegal there as well

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Edited by Bluspacecow on 12/8/2011 8:06 PM PST
73 Gnome Mage

Nope, not even close. The individuals who run private servers figure out how WoW works, then create a shoddy clone that is full of bugs AND they can freely give super powers to "friends" or users.

Also, you would be essentially giving your WoW information to a random stranger (as those who run private servers are private individuals, NOT a company).

Illegal due to copyright; a bad idea in general simply because you're putting everything in the hands of an amateur rather than entrusting your information/characters/etc. to a reputable company (aka the game's creator's Blizzard).

Also, what if someone copies and changes it drastically. Is it legal than?

Nope, because the "copying" part of it makes it a copyright violation. If they come up with their own software, their own gaming engine, their own story, their own characters, their own models for npcs, mobs, and player characters, well.. then you have your own MMO with no need to steal from others.
25 Night Elf Druid
12/08/2011 08:00 PMPosted by Moneriùs
They have a very a similar UI and similar class names.

They call a Warrior a Warrior?

Blizz didn't invent the names. Druids were around long before Blizzard
100 Human Mage
From a developer's perspective, I took a brief look at the people running private servers not too long ago. From what I could tell without actually logging into anything or downloading anything, I surmised that the code quality is terrible, the servers are made of bailing wire and duct tape, and the people running them can't be trusted to keep any personal information private, not install malware on your computer, etc.

It seemed like a very bad idea all around.
25 Night Elf Druid
From a developer's perspective, I took a brief look at the people running private servers not too long ago. From what I could tell without actually logging into anything or downloading anything, I surmised that the code quality is terrible, the servers are made of bailing wire and duct tape, and the people running them can't be trusted to keep any personal information private, not install malware on your computer, etc.

It seemed like a very bad idea all around.

A common, and surprisingly successful, ploy they use is to tell people that to log in with their actual Bnet/WoW account info in order to play.
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
12/08/2011 08:01 PMPosted by Thunderwulf

Trump that. Everybody stole from Tolkien.

The primary reason why WoW "private" servers are illegal is because not all WoW data is stored client-side. Code, scripting, and stuff is stored server-side - and private servers' use of that data is not legal, because it was not legally-obtained.
"Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle."

Also, what if someone copies and changes it drastically. Is it legal than?

retail WoW is a client, not a server. Blizzard server code cannot leave Blizzard facilities. It's intellectual property owned by Blizzard. If you take it for any reason, you are stealing their IP and will be sued.
8 Orc Hunter

Trump that. Everybody stole from Tolkien.

And Tolkein just brought into modern literature the stories, myths and legends of mankind from hundreds and thousands of years worth of written and spoken traditions.

And we've had this discussion before... but I still am not sure that Tolkein was even the originator of the monstrous spider as an antagonist... I think Fritz Lieber was earlier on that one... but that is about the only concept I can see in modern high fantasy that isn't directly derived from Norse/Celtic/Slavic/Greek/Roman mythologies.

Now... that all said... OP, if you want to troll the CSF, might want to do it from another account, since it's very easy to figure out that you're just a troll that most people here had on ignore.

Edit: If WE could figure it out, you know Vrak and the gang is well aware as well.
Edited by Brugh on 12/8/2011 11:09 PM PST
85 Worgen Warlock
12/08/2011 08:02 PMPosted by Thunderwulf
They have a very a similar UI and similar class names.

They call a Warrior a Warrior?

Blizz didn't invent the names. Druids were around long before Blizzard

Don't forget that both games have action bars and maps! Clearly Rift stole these ideas from WoW.
90 Human Paladin
So why dont you guys go to the websites and sue them??
85 Worgen Warlock
12/09/2011 01:56 AMPosted by Tankzx
So why dont you guys go to the websites and sue them??

Most of them aren't located in the US.
illigal
Roboringo, it is wonderful that you want to help, but please check the dates before responding. This post was last replied to in December 2011. Please avoid bumping old threads :)
14 Blood Elf Priest
03/25/2012 05:46 AMPosted by Ironstar
AVOID!

http://battle.net/community/conduct
You might want to have a read through this before continuing to break the rules Iron. This is Blizzard's sandbox and if you want to play here, you have to follow their rules.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]