Affliction warlock DPS Dropped in 4.3

90 Undead Warlock
Has anyone else noticed that affliction warlock DPS has dropped significantly in the launch of 4.3? I know that 378 isn't the highest ilvl gear now but in Firelands I was pulling roughly 27k with my gear. First night in dragonsoul I jumped from being one of the top DPS in my 10 man raid to being one of the lowest. I struggle even with trinks and Cooldowns as affliction to break 23k on a good fight. I am averaging only 18-20k now for my DPS and my DMG output has gone down alot. Now I know blizzard didn't change anything about our class and some will say that the DPS will come back as we gear back up to 397ilvl gear but my only problem with that is, is that everyone else on my team has managed to keep the same DPS they had in Firelands in Dragon Soul. I have talked to many warlocks about this and they all have noticed that DPS has gone down quite a bit with the launch of 4.3 I tried other specs like Destro and Demo and they still fall behind what they used to pull. My raid leader is on my !@# about it and I am just curious if any other people are experiencing these issues?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
i've seen a few other people post in the forums regarding warlock dps being low. I haven't really played my lock much so i can't vouch for it, but i do know other people are experiencing it.
Edited by Nës on 12/1/2011 6:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
27 Orc Warlock
The fights have less target in the first few fight so multi-dotting isn't possible for the most part. Our guilds lock went from affliction to destro and is doing better than ever, but he is also legendary.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Morchok I might blame single target only vs the little tricks of the trade aff was able to pull off in firelands. Zon you are single target as well...again where aff isn't the strongest. Mr unsleeping is more about bursting the add down than multi dotting though seed/SB:seed is nice when you get mass adds. Hagara is pretty good for aff due to mobility but bad for aff in terms of the first few seconds of vulnerability. Ultraxion is a single target scenario so yet again not aff's bag. Gunship early is very good for aff and enrage phase on the boss is nice but you didn't get that fight yet judging by your armory. Deathwing's spine has issues as affliction since you are mostly pushing one target then swap with burst needed to the tendons.

I can't tell anything has changed but the fight mechanics. Do you have 4.2's fireland parses to compare to 4.3 parses of the same raid comp? I'd start looking for differences there.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
We have actually had the gunship boss to 21% earlier tonight. We spent about 3 hours of progression on him. We have phase one down pretty well. We can get the dragon to stop stunning us in stage 2 but some people keep getting screwed up by the shockwave he does and dying. As far as far as Raiding goes, nothing has changed on our raid team. Same buffs and same people. I know like in FL on Baelroc with even taking shards i can still pull almost 30k. I know that fight is mostly standing still but the first boss in DS I am always casting on him and getting like 18-20k. Even behind the pillars I am able to keep my dots up and SB spam him till dots need refreshing. Its a similar mechanic to me. I am mostly comparing the number drop from raid dummies and performance in DS. On the raid dummy self buffed before I was doing alot more DMG and DPS by about 4k. I could easily sit around 24k without much issue or at least get up and above that with trinks and burst potion. Now with the same gear and same spec I am not getting even close on the raid dummy to the numbers I did before. With volcanic potion, Doomguard, and my rune of zeth popped I was struggling to hit 23k. I don't know if its just the fights in FL were easier to get max DPS on or if something really has changed. I have noticed several people have experienced the same issues though. I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else is having the same problems. I am now Demonology specced because I can burst out more DMG for the gunship fight and I seem to pull more dps with it. I am not fond of the spec but I have played it in the past. I am just worried because while everyone else in my raid team is pulling 25-30k dps on most boss fights im sitting at like 17-20k and I used to be competing with the top spot everyweek with our shadowpreist. Now I am always the lowest DPS and I am pretty good about having close to 100% uptime with my dots. I dont know I will run things threw simcraft later and see but I have noticed a difference and so has my raid team.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Do you have /petattack macro'd? I was seeing some bugs (especially on Ultraxion) where my pet would just go crazy and it's my speculation that it has to do with my macros. It's pretty obvious when you see you're not getting Mana Feed procs like you should be.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Affliction did eat at least one mild undocumented dps nerf for 4.3. Back when cata was first released, they changed Death's Embrace from triggering at 35% to 25% - in the tooltip, but in practice up until 4.3 it still kicked in at 35%. I never really understood why they did this as everyone else's 'execute' talents like Fire Mages and Frost DKs still kick in 35%, but for whatever reason, Bliz decided ours should'nt activate till 25.

So Affliction has eaten a 12% damage nerf/fix against targets between 25 and 35% health for 4.3, which I guess would tend to work out to around a 1.2% nerf to our overall dps, probably a little less because Drain Soul and normal heroism timings tend to de-emphasizes the importance of the 25-35 health window.
Edited by Thanatosia on 12/2/2011 2:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
On Ultraxion I didn't use any macro's for my pet. I kept him on assist and mana was not really too much of an issue. I didn't really pay too much attention this time around if he was shadow biting or not but i will look next week when we fight him again. I was too busy paying attention to clicking my button when needing too and trying to avoid the enrage timer lol. It's sad blizzard has neglected the class as a whole so much in recent years. I look forward to Mists of Panderia and the changes they are making to our class. Sadly I will just have to suck up the loss this time around and try and do what I can. I know last night on the training dummy (not the raider training dummy) I was pulling 19.5k as demo for a 10 min fight. I used my curse of elements to time it by letting it fall off twice. I think I spiked in the beginning to 28k with meta and trinks popped. I used this dummy instead of the raider training dummy so that my immo aura didnt inflate numbers with the other 2 dummies in the area. I will try out destro again today and see how it goes. Last time I tried afflic and destro they were pulling about the same numbers on the dummy for a 10 min fight.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
The fights are new and players aren't used to doing the "same old thing" on new content yet because there are a variety of different mechanics.

I'm getting the same (or better) numbers on training dummies as I always have. I detect no change.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
At this point 4.3 stuff is way too new and different to comment on. The best comparison is to look at otherwise identical parses from 4.2 firelands raids and compare them to this week's 4.3 firelands parse. Look at details to see if any differences exist. That gets hard to apples:apples through due to all the gear coming into a raid this week and next week. (as people get their first round of points gear even if RNG didn't favor them on drops/rolls in LFR or reg raid).

Might also point out that specs are like tools. Use the right or best one for the job. Think about spec mechanics vs fight mechanics and do your gems/forgings/etc accordingly. Doubt there is a one spec fits all answer for 4.3 raids.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warlock
I also notice I cant seem to keep up as affliction anymore but I cant tell why yet. I'm doing pretty well as destro so I haven't bothered to look into it. What I do know is that as destro I can place 1-4 on recount in my 25m raid and as affliction ill drop near the back of the pack. I'm most familiar with affliction so it doesn't really make sense to me what would cause this change, even taking into account being in unfamiliar content.

Basically its too early to tell yet but something doesn't feel right.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
I also notice I cant seem to keep up as affliction anymore but I cant tell why yet. I'm doing pretty well as destro so I haven't bothered to look into it. What I do know is that as destro I can place 1-4 on recount in my 25m raid and as affliction ill drop near the back of the pack. I'm most familiar with affliction so it doesn't really make sense to me what would cause this change, even taking into account being in unfamiliar content.

Basically its too early to tell yet but something doesn't feel right.

I've had the same experience.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I had notice the same... Aff is looking to be only good on gunship with multidotting. Alot of the other fights I am also falling behind as affliction big time but normall top 3 as destro
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Fight mechanics are just less friendly to affliction on many fights.

*Morchok: single target only, stand and unload mostly....not aff's strong suit.
*Zon: high damage phases with single target only both are not aff's bag.
*Unsleeping: you are generally off the boss long enough your dots fall off so no multidotting just repeat aff slow ramp up. AoE is good for soulburn:seed but nothing special.
*Hagara: mobility is good with aff but aff is at its weakest (ramp up) when the boss is most vulnerable. High DPET stuff for pillars though and you can get away with a bit of multidotting.
*Ultraxxion: single target patchwerk...not aff's friend
*Gunship: good for aff multi dotting, boss execute phase lines up well with drainsoul execute
*Spine: mostly single target, burst needed on tendrils post explosion, both bad for aff.
*Deathwing: depends on strat but aff scales so well with haste (while destro would softcap) you are probably best off with aff but take a point into fel synergy or your pet chain dies.

So really we only have 2 fights where mechanics work into affliction's strenghs as a spec. Single target demo tends to dominate, especially when it can stand still in melee range. Hard modes will be different but looking at the early game aff just isn't the best spec to be. Over those same fights destro slightly edges aff in single target (if you are good) but fails horribly at aoe. So far only Unsleeping potentially has a relevant aoe portion of the fight.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I thought it was just me, my, lesser geared, shadow priest was doing more damage than my lock and I couldn't figure out what I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Now we have to wait 4 months for blizzard to say we're fine until they realize they are wrong and fix us.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warlock
*Deathwing: depends on strat but aff scales so well with haste (while destro would softcap) you are probably best off with aff but take a point into fel synergy or your pet chain dies.

Thats what I figured when we starting working on madness last night. With all the buffs and multidotting potential I thought affliction would do well enough. In my case at least it couldnt compare to destro. The burst needed to kill bolts is hard to attain as affliction where as a quick immolate/conflag combo can lay down a ton of damage, especially if you get a staff proc (lol).

Rain of fire works surprisingly well with the spellweaving buff on the bloods though. My guess is it has nothing to do with the actual damage its doing and more to do with the frequency of damage on multiple targets to proc the buff.

Werst-Are you still rolling demo on most fights? I can see youre destro atm with a haste build, do you just swap based on fight? How is demo with a haste build?
Edited by Zerref on 12/6/2011 9:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I would deff play demo shadowbolt spec for most fights. Pulling 25k plus on all fights expect boat and deathwing...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Haven't you guys learned yet after all of these years of the history of locks? Blizz does not give locks any love. I haven't remembered when we got any buffs,just nerfs. Soon locks will be a dying breed since alot of players that cast are going to mage toons. There has long been a cry to look seriously at lock performance and nothing has been done. We are told to come here and request changes but that doesn't do any good either. I'm a glutton for punishment though and will keep playing my lock now that I've come back to the game after a few months of time off. I was really hoping it got better for my toon but am disappointed again. Oh well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]