Retribution (6.1.2) - Updated 5/15/15

(Sticky)

90 Draenei Paladin
It's superior for short, bursty fights like 5-man bosses and raid encounters with special burn mechanics. SW takes an edge over HA once you start gearing up at 90 though, even before you pick up your T14 4p.
Edited by Svayne on 10/30/2012 4:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Amazing guide, thanks for taking the time to put it all together.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm glad you found it useful. Now if we could just get a sticky so that posting space didn't need to be wasted on bumps...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Todays my last day. I really hope you get a sticky Svayne!!!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
11/01/2012 01:52 AMPosted by Celyndrashad
Todays my last day. I really hope you get a sticky Svayne!!!

Come back soon. :(
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Keeping this in the public eye. Adding some more FAQs...because by the Light are there a lot of recurring questions with obvious answers lately.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Lately? More like always.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Anyone have a tack? Need to pin this to the top so it doesn't have to be fished up out of pages 2 and 3.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Lazy, lazy, incompetent mods.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have a weird question about cooldown usage, in the beginning I pop all my cooldowns together; GoaK then wait 10 seconds and pop wings, right about my GoAk is about to cancel I use ES to maximize the amount of strength gain from guardian.

Since there's a two minute gap between wings and guardian should I wait until both spells are usable together or just pop whatever's ready?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Use Avenging Wrath on cooldown after the initial burn.

AW + GoAK (time: 0s) > AW (time: 180s) > DELAY GoAK (time: 300s) > AW + GoAK (time: 360s)

And as far as ES goes, try to use it earlier than that. You should have enough stacks long before GoAK actually ends. If you wait to long, you risk losing an entire ES over the duration of the fight.
Edited by Svayne on 11/8/2012 7:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for the quick reply, I have one more question. Should I pop all my cooldowns in the beginning of the fight or wait until someone lusts/warps?.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
11/08/2012 07:43 AMPosted by Aglaea
Thanks for the quick reply, I have one more question. Should I pop all my cooldowns in the beginning of the fight or wait until someone lusts/warps?.

If you're popping lust a few seconds in (10-15?) you can probably wait it out a little. Don't delay for a lust if it'll cost you an entire CD burn over the course of the encounter though.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Up.

Up for great justice!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Here is my thought on HA vs SW. HA with the storm glyph and lights hammer is pretty stout for clearing trash. Massive AOE plus 2versions of healing. Then 1 minute later LH with AW plus storm on multiple mobs. and minute 3 HA plus LH again. Your DPS has a boost for almost half the 3 minutes plus with HA jacking up illumination up time that is less GCD wasted.

Now you could simply bring tomes and reset to SW for single boss fights except my thought is when do we really get the full time frame in without some sort of fear/talent that makes us clear out doing no DPS. With HA and AW you get 3 boost times in 3 minutes so I would think in practical application dps would come out better perhaps?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Here is my thought on HA vs SW. HA with the storm glyph and lights hammer is pretty stout for clearing trash. Massive AOE plus 2versions of healing. Then 1 minute later LH with AW plus storm on multiple mobs. and minute 3 HA plus LH again

Splitting your CDs is bad. Also, trash is largely inconsequential to raid progression. In the case of challenge modes, you can clear it just as easily with SW speced. 30 seconds of +20% damage and healing to all abilities as opposed to 18 seconds of extra DS/TV? Avenging Wrath will probably last long enough for two-three packs depending on group DPS. As well, AW can greatly increase your passive healing output from whatever (SH, LH, etc.), which is invaluable as a hybrid in challenge modes.

11/10/2012 12:27 AMPosted by Bfhammer
my thought is when do we really get the full time frame in without some sort of fear/talent that makes us clear out doing no DPS.

In PvE? Most of the time. If you walk up to a boss knowing what he can do, you'll 99% of the time be able to use your CDs to their full effectiveness. If you can't, that's on the player.

On that note, HA is typically a better choice for 5-mans anyway, especially if your group DPS is high. There's discussion about this all over this thread in particular.

11/10/2012 12:27 AMPosted by Bfhammer
With HA and AW you get 3 boost times in 3 minutes so I would think in practical application dps would come out better perhaps?

Sadly, that's not how it works. The way our cooldowns stack with each other is where a lot of our DPS comes from. If you do spec for HA, you should be stacking them on each other whenever possible. It's not possible to stack them every time, but there's discussion about that in here somewhere as well. However, unless you're a very low item level or are spamming 5-mans, you should probably just stick to SW.
Edited by Svayne on 11/10/2012 6:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Cool thanks for the response. I just came back and just starting the 5 man and raids. Make a scholo run with HA and storm just for fun with the massive mobs. It's a blast.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
11/10/2012 07:55 PMPosted by Bfhammer
Make a scholo run with HA and storm just for fun with the massive mobs.

It is pretty fun to see those massive burst numbers with HA, yes.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
DIVINE PURPOSE FOR EVERYONE!! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]