Retribution (6.2.3) - Updated 5/19/16

(Sticky)

100 Human Paladin
Whats your opinion on the Paladin BiS off piece for this tier? Garrosh's Legs seem like the best option, but moreso I see people using the shoulders off protectors or gloves off Immersius.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
(Forums are broken so I have to post on my Warlock. D:)

I'm going to say either the shoulders or legs. Earlier on, the shoulders are probably a better option since using those with tier legs grant more Haste overall (since there are Haste/Mastery off-set shoulders available). However, once you've got 40%+ Haste it's less important and optimal itemization leans more towards trading the Haste/Mastery shoulders out for the Mastery/Expertise tier set. Off-set legs are also Haste/Mastery as opposed to the Haste/Crit of tier legs, so yay, more Mastery.
Reply Quote
i just started playing this toon again and i downloaded clcRet, sometimes i find it weird since it tells me to open up with exo even if art of war hasn't procced, is it normal?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/16/2014 09:07 AMPosted by Shockandholy
i just started playing this toon again and i downloaded clcRet, sometimes i find it weird since it tells me to open up with exo even if art of war hasn't procced, is it normal?

By default, the priority that clc uses may be sub-optimal. You should change the priority string (there should be instructions in the options) so that it suggests opening with CS, then Judgement, then Exo, etc. as per the priority listing on the first page.

AoW also just resets the cooldown of Exo, so it doesn't really have any bearing in this case. That said, even if AoW does proc and resets Exo's cooldown, you shouldn't prioritize it over anything else. If CS or Judgement (or any other generator) is off cooldown, you should hit that first since Exo scales horribly and doesn't hit as hard.
Edited by Svenya on 2/16/2014 11:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Wow, I just found out i went over the top with my Expertise! 15%!! Better fix that now...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
so i downloaded clcret or whatever the addon is, for my new ret and put in the right codes, but i noticed that it's wrong with the rotation a lot. well its not that its wrong, its just bad at predicting what my next ability is. for instance if CS is on a 1sec CD and so is HoW (the execute) then it will want me to cast CS. if i wait like .2sec or so after they're both off CD it will switch back to the normal rotation. any idea on how to fix this or if there is a better addon out there?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Okay i'm looking everywhere for a ClCret that doesn't include the 4 piece set bonus. Does anyone have that? Every website I've checked is always giving out the T16 bonus.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
About the haste>mastery breakpoint, does anyone know if I should take raid buffs into calculation? I imagine that is the case, but I just want to be sure and see if I am ready for mastery gemming or not.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/14/2014 02:45 PMPosted by Fruit
but i noticed that it's wrong with the rotation a lot. well its not that its wrong, its just bad at predicting what my next ability is. for instance if CS is on a 1sec CD and so is HoW (the execute) then it will want me to cast CS. if i wait like .2sec or so after they're both off CD it will switch back to the normal rotation. any idea on how to fix this or if there is a better addon out there?

I haven't personally experienced issues with this, but I may simply be automatically compensating for it at this point. If CS is as little as .1 seconds closer to off CD than HoW is, it will show it ahead of HoW. If you're GCD locked, you should be fine spamming HoW instead if the CDs are that close together. I don't think its technically wrong, it's simply incapable of making judgment calls about close timings. If you keep using it and have your CDs plainly visible on an action bar as well as on the addon, you should be able to start mentally compensating for these things.

03/16/2014 09:22 PMPosted by Streager
Okay i'm looking everywhere for a ClCret that doesn't include the 4 piece set bonus. Does anyone have that? Every website I've checked is always giving out the T16 bonus.

inq inqes tv5 how cs j exo tv3 ss
You just need to delete the 4p functions from the string (ds_4t16 and ds_4t16_5hp). That said, it shouldn't affect the way the addon presents the rotation if you don't actually have the 4p. If it isn't there to proc, it shouldn't show up anyway.

03/17/2014 12:32 AMPosted by Lynea
About the haste>mastery breakpoint, does anyone know if I should take raid buffs into calculation? I imagine that is the case, but I just want to be sure and see if I am ready for mastery gemming or not.

The breakpoint is without raid buffs.
Edited by Qris on 3/17/2014 7:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
03/17/2014 07:01 AMPosted by Qris
The breakpoint is without raid buffs.

Okay, thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I have a question regarding the talent Divine Purpose (even though it's behind in DPS). If the t16 4pc procs and so does Divine Purpose off of the same HoPo consumer, and I am AoEing and I hit Divine Storm, will both be consumed or can you hit a free Divine Storm twice, it only consuming the 4pc proc and then Divine Purpose afterwards?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
03/17/2014 07:01 AMPosted by Qris

inq inqes tv5 how cs j exo tv3 ss

[/quote]

Thank you!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/18/2014 01:29 PMPosted by Grugur
I have a question regarding the talent Divine Purpose (even though it's behind in DPS). If the t16 4pc procs and so does Divine Purpose off of the same HoPo consumer, and I am AoEing and I hit Divine Storm, will both be consumed or can you hit a free Divine Storm twice, it only consuming the 4pc proc and then Divine Purpose afterwards?

The DS will only consume one of the procs, so you can do it twice if you have both up. It's actually pretty fun for fights like Spoils if you get a lot of procs.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
03/19/2014 04:33 AMPosted by Qris
03/18/2014 01:29 PMPosted by Grugur

The DS will only consume one of the procs, so you can do it twice if you have both up. It's actually pretty fun for fights like Spoils if you get a lot of procs.

Okay thank god. I just love Divine Purpose. Nothing is more fun than machine gun firing TV when it procs like 700 times. Reminds me of my elemental shaman, lol.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
deleted
Edited by Uncornerable on 4/20/2014 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
i love this guy. i had no idea how amazing our paly is until week after week he keeps shining and @!*%@#*@%% the fk out of everything we encounter. and then i see this sticky....wtf. next week my nefew gonna get hella tott.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
So, I read this guide and also other guides and now I have some doubts and I hope someone could help me a bit.
1) How does the rotation goes with EEoG and SW?
I read in elitist jerks that J is strongher than CS while bursting with T16 so it should be like
HoW - J - HoW -TV instead of
HoW- CS - HoW - TV as the priority suggest
2)The other thing is the T16 DS procs, while in the burst, should I just spam 3HoPo TV just in case a DS procs so I have room to not waste mi HoW's? So I replace J or CS for the free DS while still having HoW on top of my priority? I mean something like this
HoW - J - HoW - TV (that procs DS) - HoW - DS -HoW - J -How- TV(another lucky DS) -HoW - DS- HoW -TV and back to 0 HoPo?
3) I have the thok trink and I read that it makes crit>mastery, how does that build go? should I aim for items without mastery? or just stick to the default BiS list and just reforge some of the mastery to crit or all the mastery to crit? Also I read something like a mastery softcap, is that even a thing?
4) Is HA still viable with EEoG T16 and Thok's tail? I've seen some pallys that use HA and Idk why, so is there something I'm missing? A secret HA burst rotation?

Sorry for my mediocre english, is someone could just take some mins to tell me the secret of the universe and ret pew pew I will be sooooo happy! :D
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Paladin
05/30/2014 03:33 PMPosted by Lussuria
1) How does the rotation goes with EEoG and SW?
I read in elitist jerks that J is strongher than CS while bursting with T16 so it should be like
HoW - J - HoW -TV instead of
HoW- CS - HoW - TV as the priority suggest
2)The other thing is the T16 DS procs, while in the burst, should I just spam 3HoPo TV just in case a DS procs so I have room to not waste mi HoW's? So I replace J or CS for the free DS while still having HoW on top of my priority? I mean something like this
HoW - J - HoW - TV (that procs DS) - HoW - DS -HoW - J -How- TV(another lucky DS) -HoW - DS- HoW -TV and back to 0 HoPo?
3) I have the thok trink and I read that it makes crit>mastery, how does that build go? should I aim for items without mastery? or just stick to the default BiS list and just reforge some of the mastery to crit or all the mastery to crit? Also I read something like a mastery softcap, is that even a thing?
4) Is HA still viable with EEoG T16 and Thok's tail? I've seen some pallys that use HA and Idk why, so is there something I'm missing? A secret HA burst rotation?

1) I've read about the J > CS during AW thing, but I have a hard time nailing down the math behind it and it never holds up in my sims (CS > J w/ AW up usually simming 4-5k higher). Even so, the number of non-HoW/TV/DS you have room for during AW is pretty minimal anyway. I might be missing something, but every set of gear I've simmed beyond T14 suggests CS > J regardless of buffs.

I think it's probably outdated information that never got edited out.

2) Yes, during AW you should TV or DS every 3 HoPo unless HoW is off CD. HoW > 3HP TV/DS > etc. You want to get out as many HoWs and finishers as you can.

3) The Thok trinket just makes Crit more valuable since it increased Crit damage. Crit is technically superior to Mastery for ST fights (Iron Juggernaut, for example), but there's so much AoE in this tier that Mastery tends to outperform Crit the majority of the time. Hence most people defaulting to Mastery>Crit. That said, a lot of top parses on certain fights prioritize Crit, while others (like Spoils) prioritize Mastery.

I'm not aware of a Mastery soft cap and I've had a hard time finding any hard discussion about it. I'd like to see one if there's a link somewhere, though.

4) I know some people like using HA despite EEoG, but I can't really imagine why unless they just want to open with bigger numbers on fights like Garrosh. But even then, SW would even out to higher overall output. That said, the #1 parse on Garrosh as of this post used DP to do it. That's a lot of RNG though.

You should probably just stick to SW if you want to try to rank, but HA can be fun if you really want to try it. I do sometimes. DP too, apparently.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks, Im every week getting nearer to the full hc wf bis gear (still a lot of wf missing tho) and I "cap" my haste at 40% while mastery goes over 70% with Might buff, and I see that my crit is still 10% ish so I was a bit concerned if at this point I should get more crit, but yeah I know what you mean, in every boss that's not ST Im toping recount or near the top :P
Also my concern about crit is because I started taking pvp a bit more seriously and found that haste>crit>mastery it's viable and really good but maybe it's because in pvp you are not 100% of the time at melee range of the target. Still someday I will get off my lazy butt and start doing some simulations by my own. thx for the help :)
PD: yeah the mastery cap I read was just a comment on the EJ ret guide but nothing that official and without any SimC supporting it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
ups, posted double D: sorry
Edited by Lussuria on 5/31/2014 2:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]