Retribution (6.0.3) - Updated 12/18/14

(Sticky)

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm only doing around 110k DPS, and I'm kind of concerned about that. For my gear level, I hear people doing 160k, and I've tried everything so far. Downloaded clcret, got the expertise (well, .01 points away) and hit cap, put everything else into haste, and I still don't get much over 110k. Am I just bad? Is it my gear? What do I need to do to achieve the DPS I'm supposed to have?
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Paladin
160k is around what you should be doing with full raid buffs, including food, flask, and potions. If you're checking your damage on a target dummy, you should be shooting for around 120-125k with nothing but your Mastery buff.

Right away I can tell you that it's mostly a gear issue. You pretty much have worst-case scenario trinkets, your Hit is way too high, and you have Stam gems in your chest and weapon. There isn't a lot you can do about all of that Hit right now though, and changing out the Stam gems wouldn't have much of an effect either.

Still, 110k is significantly lower than 160k (and a little lower than 120k). Be sure you're maintaining Inquisition at all times, make sure you've changed the default CLCret rotation to the proper one, and make sure you're using your cooldowns correctly -- GoAK+AW together, then every time they come off of cooldown. Make sure all of your CDs are rolling before casting your first Execution Sentence, etc.

In terms of gear, try to focus on replacing those trinkets with an Evil Eye of Galakras and Thok's Tail Tip. The difference in your damage will be tremendous just from picking those trinkets up (and from getting rid of that Cleave trinket). Other than that, just try to shed some of that Hit and get your gems fixed as soon as your Hit allows.

I don't think you're bad. It's prolly just a gear + fine tuning your rotation thing. If you've got any more specific questions, my BattleTag is in the FAQ on the front page.
Edited by Qris on 6/28/2014 4:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thank you for the feedback, I'll be doing SoO for a whole bunch more weeks to fix my gear. I'll try to replace all my Timeless gear with absurd hit with something that has haste and mastery preferably. I went and fixed my gems already, ignoring socket bonuses. It's a minor thing I can do now, but at least now I have a bunch to work on. Thank you again!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Why not the glyph of Blinding Light - works great as a AoE stun.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
@Belfpaly

You are OVER the Expertise and Hit cap.

Try to aim at reforging / gemming into HASTE as much as you can.

Strength > Hit at 7.5% > Expertise at 7.5% > Haste > Mastery > Crit

Get that expertise down a tad and that hit down a lot, and that haste up a tad. Also - I would suggest getting CLC ret from Curse. It is an add-on that shows what move to use and when.

Make sure you are leaving Inquisiton up for the full minute. As soon as you get 3 stacks of holy power, make sure it is up.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
What is a good add-on to display CDs relative to Pally-Ret? Is there anything that is similar to the way DBM displays fights?
Also, i'm frustrated right now, some fights in SoO i'm doing well over 200k and some others well under 150k. Go back a week later and the entire fight shifts. The ones I was around 150k now over 200k and the others are the opposite...

Just trying to get help here guys, so help a Holy Brother out!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
How's that 50% haste>mastery working out for you, qris?

I haven't noticed much difference between different builds, but I figure you've got more experience testing them out.
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Paladin
It's no secret that 50% Haste is superior for single-target DPS. The degree to which it's superior depends on your gear though. If you have to stretch to the limit to reach 50%, it might not be a big difference (might even be a loss if you give up all of your Mastery or Crit for it), but in a reasonable amount of Heroic gear it's clearly the superior build for most bosses and kill-times, regardless of raid size.

Exceptions exist when circumstances are right for fights like Protectors, Dark Shaman, or Spoils, where a 40% Haste > Mastery build may be superior, but the difference is marginal at best and 50% Haste is simply far more comfortable and consistent due to the extra APM made possible by higher Haste values.

That said, there will still be those that prefer 40% Haste builds because they like having higher Mastery/Crit values, which is fine. 50% Haste is technically superior, but not by a huge margin. I actually stick to a 40% Haste build on my second Ret Pally for the lols, but I'll probably switch to 50% once it's* a lot more geared, largely because it's just really easy to get to 50% once you're geared to the teeth.
Edited by Qris on 9/7/2014 1:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warlock
"she"...

are you kidding me qris
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Hey, so i usually play Holy... but since my guild has gone pretty inactive in the past few months, i've started to play more Ret.

I'm enjoying it a lot! I have 2 quick questions:

1. Any glaring missteps in my armory?

2. How much does the LMG affect our Rets' DPS?

Thank you!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
09/08/2014 10:25 AMPosted by Moossiah
Hey, so i usually play Holy... but since my guild has gone pretty inactive in the past few months, i've started to play more Ret.

I'm enjoying it a lot! I have 2 quick questions:

1. Any glaring missteps in my armory?

2. How much does the LMG affect our Rets' DPS?

Thank you!

LMG is about 3-5%,

your armory looks pretty good, except that you should be gemming expertise instead of strength in your orange gems. By doing so you're getting roughly 160 mastery or crit in exchange for 80 strength, which is a slight damage increase at your ilvl, but will become more noticeable as your gear improves.

The first thing I would do is quad upgrade your weapon. After that aim to get the 4pc of any ilvl, and replace your fusion fire core with thok's tail tip>skeer's bloodsoaked talisman.
Edited by Arte on 9/8/2014 6:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
09/08/2014 06:20 PMPosted by Arte
LMG is about 3-5%,

your armory looks pretty good, except that you should be gemming expertise instead of strength in your orange gems. By doing so you're getting roughly 160 mastery or crit in exchange for 80 strength, which is a slight damage increase at your ilvl, but will become more noticeable as your gear improves.

The first thing I would do is quad upgrade your weapon. After that aim to get the 4pc of any ilvl, and replace your fusion fire core with thok's tail tip>skeer's bloodsoaked talisman.

Oh! Perfect! Thank you so much!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Can somebody look over my toon and tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong.

I use the Reforge Lite addon, and as far as I know I'm gemming correctly. And I have the correct talents. I'm also using clcRET.

My problem is, I'm rarely hitting 250k dps, when other ret pallys I've seen get over 30, and they're lower ilvl than I am. In fact, I'm usually around 190k.

Not too long ago, somebody told my I should change all my pure str gems to str+haste. And they told me not to use Holy Avenger, but Divine Purpose instead. Since I changed these things, I've watched my dps go down the toilet. I hardly ever get the free Holy Power ability procs, and I look totally incompetent on the DPS meters, which is a totally new and quite unsettling experience for me.

Can anybody help me not suck please??
Edited by Orronis on 9/25/2014 10:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
^ dat 12% hit rating tho

AMR has 10 gems and 4 reforges you could change. Pick up SW over DP for single target fights.

And you 4/4'd your fusion fire waste of a trinket slot but left your CDR trinket at 0/4?!
Edited by Kaehlen on 9/26/2014 11:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Anyone else destroying meters out there in normal gear levels? I.E. 555+? I'm 558 pulling 275+ single target (End fight) and 350+ with anything that has adds. I do have to say that haste is far superior. However it seems that gemming hybrid Str gems is yielding a significantly lower burst but increasing sustained substantially, I still currently prioritizing haste over everything in reforges but funnily enough I have almost the exact same haste and mastery % self buffed (42%) I tried going 40% Haste with 44% mastery, but I noticed that I was doing significantly less dps on my single target encounters. Idk I'm pro haste, I'm not sure if I could go for a Haste>Crit>Mastery build like they're talking about with HWTTT but anything to push those meters.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Is it worth me dropping my helm and legs for 4PC? Both tier pieces are LFR level.

Thanks
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Paladin
10/03/2014 01:50 AMPosted by Soulg
Is it worth me dropping my helm and legs for 4PC? Both tier pieces are LFR level.

4p is love, 4p is life (Yes.)

10/01/2014 08:32 PMPosted by Chaosadin
However it seems that gemming hybrid Str gems is yielding a significantly lower burst but increasing sustained substantially, I still currently prioritizing haste over everything

There's a thing called confirmation bias, and you may be experiencing it. Strength is superior on a 1:1 ration (obviously) and is always worth gemming for when it comes to socket bonuses. You'll probably lose your 40% Haste, but you should trade out all of your superfluous 320 Haste gems for 80 Str/160 Haste gems in those red sockets. Even on your ring, 80 Strength+220 Haste > 320 Haste.

10/01/2014 08:32 PMPosted by Chaosadin
I'm not sure if I could go for a Haste>Crit>Mastery build like they're talking about with HWTTT but anything to push those meters.

Crit>Mastery isn't very consistent anyway, and it's generally something you only do once you have most of the instance on farm and want to risk the RNG nature of the build for possibly higher ST DPS. Just stick to Haste>Mastery; play at 40% Haste and stack Mastery for a while until you have better gear, then start bumping your Haste up. If you funnel everything into Haste at low item levels you're just going to hit like a wet noodle.

P.S. Do more Flex 3 and Underhold LFRs. TTT too strong not to be farming for. LFR TTT is worth taking over any version of FFC and anything short of HWF Skeer's.
Edited by Qris on 10/3/2014 7:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Two
12/06/2011 02:40 AMPosted by Svayne
The Armory's tooltip for Glyph of Inquisition is incorrect. This glyph now causes Inquisition's duration to increase by 30s each time the Paladin scores a killing blow on any foe that yields experience or honor. This can be useful for add-heavy fights.

Hey baby, you missed this part in your updating =p
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Is that right, Mastery now is effectively worse than Crit for stacking on gear??? Ouch...... Here I was, hoping to hit middle-of-the-road DPS again, since they gutted some (not all, but some) of our raid utility... *sigh* Guess it's tanking or bust, eh?... At least they'll probably buff Sword of Light within the first two patches... *eyeroll* (Sword of Light, Paladin's version of Aspect of the Hawk... Blizzard buffs/nerfs as necessary to tweak our damage...)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for updating for 6.0 @ lvl 90. I see one item that should be changed for the month we are at 90: TV > DS at 2 targets (very close at 2 targets, DS pulls way ahead at 3).
Edited by Maegoree on 10/13/2014 5:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]