Raiding as Retribution - 5.4 - Updated 6/23

(Sticky)

90 Human Paladin
You're right it isn't much but just being realistic about repentance for a second, the last time it had a legitimate use in a raid was probably breaking MC's on H cho'gall. The only mobs you'd repent in DS would be hagara trash and that just gets AOE'd down like all the trash for the past 2 tiers. When T11 came out yes it had some use because there was actually CC required on trash, particularly BoT. 2% isn't going to change the world but look at it like eye for an eye, it's all about min/maxing. CC hasn't really been relevant in PvE for a long time now, even in 5 mans.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Need help setting the rotation in clcRet. Can you assist me with this please?
Reply Quote
12/06/2011 02:38 AMPosted by Svayne
Disclaimer: This is not a reason to stand in fire/other bad stuff. Intentionally eating avoidable raid damage is not a viable means of increasing your DPS.

i lol'd, also, good thread, i'm usually prot and when i go ret i just hit buttons that i feel like pressing so maybe i'll actually do damage now...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey everyone. Due to some serious IRL complications, I'm unable to play this game seriously (or much at all, really) for the time being. I'm literally getting 1-2 hours a week, if that, of playtime as of right now. I'll do what I can to update and maintain this guide when able, but I'll be relying a little more heavily on your feedback and in-game experiences from now on. Thanks, and have a good one!

Updated a few things based on Pbad's clarification and suggestions.
Edited by Svaine on 2/4/2012 7:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I normally raid (well, to the extent that LFR is a raid) as prot, but last night I was grinding out some Lovely Charms and decided to try out DPS in LFR for kicks. I ended up pulling around 21k DPS on most fights with which I was somewhat satisfied (it ain't in the same class as my Rogue, but it seemed decent enough), but heck if I didn't feel uncomfortable the whole time.

I felt like a fish out of water. I was struggling with the whole priority system since I am used to Rogue and Hunter rotations. Action bars are lighting up from RNG procs and I've no idea what to press and when. And this was after I skimmed through this post and EJ for tips. What a maroon!

So a couple questions:

1. Inq: Best to refresh this with 3 HPs? Or is 1 HP sufficient? This seems like my Rogue's Slice and Dice, but I couldn't seem to keep a handle on the uptime.

2. AoW procs: Is it okay to not use these? Exo seems low on the priority list and sometimes I seemed to have too many other things to worry about and I would waste them. Or worse, I would catch it right as AoW fell off and start hardcasting Exo. Felt like an idiot when that happened :)

3. CDs: So blow Zeal and AW after I ramp up GotAK a bit? Am I supposed to blow Zeal and AW as soon as they come off CD? Or should I wait until a high damage phase or Bloodlust? With my Rogue, for instance, if I use Adrenaline Rush at the same time as Bloodlust, it's a DPS loss since I can't dump energy fast enough.

So yeah! Any encouragement would be appreciated :)
Edited by Valpin on 2/9/2012 9:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
OK So i have a few questions... 1. What does DP TV stand for and on the trinket equation what is weight coefficeint and uptime i know im problably missing something or not thinking about it but im at a loss. I do love this guide i really do and thanks so much for making it
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/11/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Jamesmisleh
OK So i have a few questions... 1. What does DP TV stand for and on the trinket equation what is weight coefficeint and uptime i know im problably missing something or not thinking about it but im at a loss. I do love this guide i really do and thanks so much for making it

DP TV stands for Divine Purpose Templar's Verdict.
As for the trinket equation, pretty much you got the amount of the stat (value), percent of the time its up (uptime) {extra note, 100% uptime would just be thrown in as 1, 99% would be .99}, what the stat weight is for you and it will vary as you get different pieces of gear (weight), and the coefficient varies from trinket to trinket. I don't know how to personally find the coefficient for the trinket, but multiple sites have already number crunched that so you can Google it and plug it into your equation. hope that answered your questions effectively enough.

1. Inq: Best to refresh this with 3 HPs? Or is 1 HP sufficient? This seems like my Rogue's Slice and Dice, but I couldn't seem to keep a handle on the uptime.

2. AoW procs: Is it okay to not use these? Exo seems low on the priority list and sometimes I seemed to have too many other things to worry about and I would waste them. Or worse, I would catch it right as AoW fell off and start hardcasting Exo. Felt like an idiot when that happened :)

3. CDs: So blow Zeal and AW after I ramp up GotAK a bit? Am I supposed to blow Zeal and AW as soon as they come off CD? Or should I wait until a high damage phase or Bloodlust? With my Rogue, for instance, if I use Adrenaline Rush at the same time as Bloodlust, it's a DPS loss since I can't dump energy fast enough.

1. Best to refresh at 3 HoPo, but if its about to fall off, you can refresh at 1 or 2.
2. AoW procs can, and will, be wasted multiple times in a single fight due to the priority system.
3. Pop GotAK roughly 10 seconds before you wanna pop AW/Zeal so it can build some stacks so you get maximum benefit from stacking cds. Pallies are tuned around that amazing burst. if your AW/Zeal are off cd and you know if you pop them immediately they won't be up for lust, its best to save them.

Final note, looking at this thread, glad to see I don't seem insane. I've actually been dropping Repentance for various talents depending on which fight my guild was trying to progress on. (Selfless healer for Yor'sahj purple, Acts of Sacrifice for self cleansing on Hagara) Now that those fights are on farm, however, I realized how wasted Repentance was as a talent and moved it to Divinity as well. As stated earlier, its not much of a healing taken increase with the one point, but on fights like Heroic Ultraxion, every little bit helps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Is it wise to break out of 2 T12 + 2 T13 piece for 3 T13 + 1 T12 or should I wait for 1 more T13 pc before breaking out? The 3rd T13 pc is from LFR though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Wait until 4t13. Stat upgrade/sidegrade isn't worth it.
Reply Quote
34 Night Elf Warrior
Why the heck has this not been stickied yet?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
07/01/2012 03:28 PMPosted by Paintbrush
Because mods be lazy, yo.

This. There have been several guides that no matter how popular they may be or however many sticky requests they get...that dont get stickied.

This one and the demonology guide in the warlock forums being the best 2 examples...and i wont mention how long it took some forums to get ANYTHING stuck.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

Really pisses me off actually, I've made several requests myself and who knows how many other people have.

Causes confusion around here that could be saved with two seconds of a mods time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

When I redid the Elemental raiding guide on the shaman forum it took them awhile to unsticky/resticky.

The way I got them to do it was to send an email to the mods, and ask for the change of stickies. After I did that I got a reply saying it's been made.

Edit: However, if the author really wanted he has enough space to copy the guide over to his current sticky.
Edited by Bubblenrun on 7/8/2012 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Edit: However, if the author really wanted he has enough space to copy the guide over to his current sticky.

I asked him about that on the first page:

12/06/2011 03:51 AMPosted by Svayne
The reason I didn't just edit the old guide is because I no longer have access to the account under which it was written. You move away and have no time for games for the better part of a year and things tend to happen/get lost...but here I am anyway!

Hes on a new account with no access to the old one. This probably why my suggestion in post 18 to email wow did not work. They cant prove they are the same person.
Edited by Celyndrashad on 7/8/2012 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ok great post by the way. I have a quick question. Which weapon would be better Gurthalak lvl 403 or Experimental Speciman Slicer lvl 410?? I have mulled over this for a while and can't find a definitive answer on any web sites.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
07/21/2012 12:59 PMPosted by Justirius
Ok great post by the way. I have a quick question. Which weapon would be better Gurthalak lvl 403 or Experimental Speciman Slicer lvl 410?? I have mulled over this for a while and can't find a definitive answer on any web sites.

The search function is your friend, there have been endless threads about it.

H Slicer is consistently better ever since the Ret only nerf to Gurth.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Hey everyone. Back from my sammich break.

Seriously though. I've been away from the game for about six months, but I'm back on account of a new, much faster internet connection which has motivated me to give the game another go. Plus, school has slackened off quite a bit.

I'm extremely rusty, but I'll proceed to update this thread as soon as I've got my bearings. Until then, Svayne out (I'll be fixing the spelling this weekend).

Edit: Oh, and any helpful feedback you guys can provide is muchos appreciated. If anything is outdated that you can see, let me know and I'll fix it.
Edited by Svaine on 7/25/2012 3:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Svaine, I'm going to hurt you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]