Darkmoon Faire Island items -- too costly p.2

90 Troll Druid
My question to you now Bashiok, is how long do we have to gather all those things up? I realize this first time we're kinda SoL'd on those drops for tickets (unless you get lucky or grind like hell) but do we have the entire month to gather them and wait? Or do we have to get them only during the week the faire is up? If it's the latter, then I must say your count doesn't...well count.
Edited by Turtoth on 12/6/2011 2:41 PM PST
90 Night Elf Rogue
Bashiok, your estimate includes the tradeskill quests, but they're not repeatable. Are you implying that I will, for instance, be able to do the fishing quest again next month when the faire reopens?
90 Troll Warrior
Bashiok, your estimate includes the tradeskill quests, but they're not repeatable. Are you implying that I will, for instance, be able to do the fishing quest again next month when the faire reopens?

I actually think that is the idea. I believe you can do those quests once a month.
90 Undead Death Knight
How about they fix the fact theres pretty much nothing to do there besides camp the arena thing while no one comes to attack you.
Boring faire is boring.
85 Tauren Paladin
Hey Bashiok, considering part of the train of conversation went towards reforging, is their any talk about possibly lifting the main hand requirement for reforging? As tank weapons aren't considered main hands it is rather unfortunate that one can not reforge to a spell sword that is main hand only. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated =)
Bashiok, I don't envy you your job, having to deal with all these QQrs all the time. I think the DMF is really fun and whimsical, and just something different to do for end game players who love questing and have quested out all the current content. I'm really enjoying the new heroic dungeons and I love the raid finder -- just because it gives me a chance to see raids I otherwise wouldn't -- but when I'm not doing those things, it's fun to go tool around the fair. If you aren't interested in the DMF, no one is making you spend time there.
1 Undead Warrior
I agree with the person that said most of our tickets should be earned in the Faire. The games should give tickets worth their time investment, and right now, they really don't.
90 Dwarf Warrior
12/06/2011 02:38 PMPosted by Eyrios
The problem here is that you are giving reports of drops from dungeons which are on the 10% rare table. Now granted if people do go to the raids, they will get a few raid drops, but that is not conducive to the spirit of making DMF available to everyone.

Perhaps a good idea would be to make those items drop in dungeons even when the carnival isn't in town? That seems like a compromise I'd be willing to make.

What makes you think your Darkmoon Adventurer's Journal is going to disappear when the faire ends? Waiting to turn in your decks has always been a kind of aspect of the Faire, why would they do away with that? The journal doesn't say "requires darkmoon faire" or anything.
31 Worgen Warrior

Keeping all of this in mind we don’t feel the current ticket acquisition rates or reward costs are out of hand, but we’re interested to hear your thoughts after reading this information and considering the longevity of the content, as well as the ‘once a month’ format of the faire. We’ll be continually evaluating it, and we’re looking forward to incorporating more goodies to be won, and more activities to the faire, in the future.

Unfortunately, the 145 ticket number will only be available to people who do their dailies every day, have time to raid (and get lucky, because the raid drop is not guaranteed), have time to grind through old dungeons, PVP a bunch, AND grind through the new heroics until they get lucky. I already play this game way too much, and I'm nowhere near the 145 ticket number for this week. The time investment to get even 90 tickets to get a pet in a single month is just way too high, much less to max out your monthly tickets.

Increasing the number of tickets from the dailies to the PTR rate would give people a reason to go to the Faire every day, allow people a reasonable way to acquire tickets (shouldn't you earn the majority of your tickets AT the Faire?), and still allow the more hardcore people to acquire items faster by grinding through dungeons, PVP, etc for the extra tickets.

QFT, bash is acting like obtaining those 145 tickets is a walk in the park when it really requires 4+ hours a day of play time and even then there is a chance because of RNG and rolls that you will never get that 145 no matter how much you play.
80 Troll Mage
The problem here is that you are giving reports of drops from dungeons which are on the 10% rare table. Now granted if people do go to the raids, they will get a few raid drops, but that is not conducive to the spirit of making DMF available to everyone.

We are also well aware that you think the rate of acquisition is reasonable, and that's the problem. You think that it's reasonable for people to farm for tickets via rare drops in a relatively short amount of time (7 days) and then priced the "APPEARANCE PIECES" of gear that was taken out simply because the devs didn't want to "spend time adjusting the stats" of said gear to such a high degree the average player is NOT going to get a full set within 7-9 months.
where do you get this 10% number on the drops its much higher then that and how do you figure 7-9 monthes your clearly dumb
90 Night Elf Druid
The time investment for the fair activities has never been fun for me. It's boring and I refuse to do it.
90 Troll Warrior
12/06/2011 02:42 PMPosted by Gulvak
What makes you think your Darkmoon Adventurer's Journal is going to disappear when the faire ends? Waiting to turn in your decks has always been a kind of aspect of the Faire, why would they do away with that? The journal doesn't say "requires darkmoon faire" or anything.

I figured that they would stop dropping with the faire, like most other event items. There's nothing saying that they won't stop dropping, just like during every other event, unless I misread some notes or something.
Edited by Eyrios on 12/6/2011 2:45 PM PST
90 Human Warrior
Thanks everyone for your feedback. To hopefully clear up some of the confusion over time investment vs reward costs we've broken down exactly how many tickets you can obtain in a single Darkmoon Faire week. The design intent of the Darkmoon Faire is that it’s available for one week out of the month, and in that one week we expect you to be able to obtain a significant amount of tickets. To clarify the OP’s point of how long it would take to obtain an entire set of cosmetic gear, the math presented was incorrect, and it would in fact only take 4 Darkmoon Faire weeks to complete an entire set. That’s of course still no quick task, and the intent is not for it to be. There are plenty of rewards that can be obtained in one or two weeks of the Darkmoon Faire, but we expect that an entire set will take a few events to obtain.

Here’s the breakdown:

Tickets Per Faire
    Dungeon: 40
    Heroic Dungeon: 15
    Raid: 10
    Tradeskill quests (primary): 8
    Tradeskill quests (secondary): 12
    BGs: 15
    Kill Quest: 10
    Mini Games*: 35

Total Tickets per faire: 145

* 5 mini games, available daily: 7*5=35

As an example, here are some options that you can choose over the course of two Darkmoon Faires (2 weeks over 2 months):

• Prioritizing mounts/pets: 1 mount + 1 pet, with 20 tickets to spare
  • Prioritizing pets: 3 pets, 20 tickets to spare
  • Prioritizing cosmetic armor: 4 pieces of cosmetic armor, with 30 tickets to spare
  • Prioritizing heirloom armor: 1 piece of heirloom armor + 1 heirloom weapon, with 20 tickets to spare
  • Keeping all of this in mind we don’t feel the current ticket acquisition rates or reward costs are out of hand, but we’re interested to hear your thoughts after reading this information and considering the longevity of the content, as well as the ‘once a month’ format of the faire. We’ll be continually evaluating it, and we’re looking forward to incorporating more goodies to be won, and more activities to the faire, in the future.

It's not even a carrot anymore, it's just a hook. For mostly recycled content, no less.

God I hate dailies. Nothing makes a game feel more like work than dailies.
    90 Dwarf Warrior
    12/06/2011 02:44 PMPosted by Eyrios

I figured that they would stop dropping with the faire, like most other event items. There's nothing saying that they won't stop dropping, just like during every other event, unless I misread some notes or something.

Well the cards have always dropped regardless of the faire. I just see no real reason to assume that suddenly everything will be different. The only reason people are farming out right now is to get quests handed in before the faire ends and they have a reset next month.
    85 Human Death Knight

We are also well aware that you think the rate of acquisition is reasonable, and that's the problem. You think that it's reasonable for people to farm for tickets via rare drops in a relatively short amount of time (7 days) and then priced the "APPEARANCE PIECES" of gear that was taken out simply because the devs didn't want to "spend time adjusting the stats" of said gear to such a high degree the average player is NOT going to get a full set within 7-9 months.
    where do you get this 10% number on the drops its much higher then that and how do you figure 7-9 monthes your clearly dumb

I'll tell you where I'm getting it:

1. They are rare items.

2. That's the drop rate for the average rare item.

3. I've done my own numbers crunching after talking to a pool of over 300 people who took notes on the bosses they killed. This is a large enough pool with which to gather statistics.

4. I took those numbers that I crunched and compared them with the table that lists which bosses drop these items.

5. I used math to figure the table out and it matches every single rare loot drop table of 10% that I have, as well as compared the figures against known drop rates of similar items on similar and alternate tables from said bosses (i.e. I calculated out the drop rate of all the other items).

6. If the items are supposed to be a higher drop rate then blizz dropped the ball.

I know quite a few OCD players in WoW. I am confident in my statistics.
    90 Human Warlock
    Here’s the breakdown:

Tickets Per Faire

Well, I just took your total of 145 per month... and factored that into all the available gear, pets, and loot, not counting the things THIS character can't equip...

And according to my poor man's rough calculator math, according to this... It will take me nearly 3 years to collect everything I could possibly get.

That's not including the Heirlooms that can be purchased.
    Edited by Xaviel on 12/6/2011 2:49 PM PST
    90 Dwarf Warrior
    5. I used math to figure the table out and it matches every single rare loot drop table of 10% that I have, as well as compared the figures against known drop rates of similar items on similar and alternate tables from said bosses (i.e. I calculated out the drop rate of all the other items).

IM USING MATH!
    78 Gnome Warlock
    I get zero dungeon/heroic dungeons tickets. How exactly do you do that?

I healed instances all night(ok 6 hours) and have 83 grisly trophies and zero artifacts.. this is ONE toon. I have many. It's going to be years getting anything at that rate.

I know, I know, I could focus on one toon and get at least my grisly trophies ( I never win artifacts) but since I prefer to shift playing around various toons I don't realistically see myself getting anything in less than 6 months time.
    85 Human Death Knight
    Here’s the breakdown:

Tickets Per Faire

Well, I just took your total of 145 per month... and factored that into all the available gear, pets, and loot, not counting the things THIS character can't equip...

And according to my poor man's rough calculator math, according to this... It will take me nearly 3 years to collect everything I want.

That's not including the Heirlooms that can be purchased.

Thank you.

Even assuming that people are able to cap out at 145 a month (which is statistically improbable for 90% of the players out there), it will be 3 years not counting heirlooms. 4-5 years including heirlooms (depending on how many sets you purchase.

Bashiok - I honestly would appreciate to know why the dev team believes it's appropriate to include EverQuest style drop rates. I don't know how much you know about EverQuest, but everything in EverQuest had a 2-3 year plan of bottle necking.

This is the 3-5 year planned bottle neck.

WoW used to have a 1-2 year bottle neck plan.

Why did you feel the need to adopt the EverQuest design model? Why is that model "appropriate"?
    Edited by Elineé on 12/6/2011 2:53 PM PST
    90 Dwarf Warrior
    Uhg and guys you can farm out your Grisly Trophies like in a couple of seconds in Icecrown, those things are still green to you.

Even assuming that people are able to cap out at 145 a month (which is statistically impossible), it will be 3 years not counting heirlooms. 4-5 years including heirlooms (depending on how many sets you purchase.

Counting the heirloom vendor is !@#$ing atrocious. The Heirloom vendor only is there to provide an option to people who want nothing else or have everything. Putting it into calculations just proves how dishonest you guys are.

Also there is nothing "impossible" about getting 145 a month.
    Edited by Gulvak on 12/6/2011 2:55 PM PST
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]