Darkmoon Faire Island items -- too costly p.2

100 Draenei Death Knight
Keeping all of this in mind we don’t feel the current ticket acquisition rates or reward costs are out of hand, but we’re interested to hear your thoughts after reading this information and considering the longevity of the content, as well as the ‘once a month’ format of the faire. We’ll be continually evaluating it, and we’re looking forward to incorporating more goodies to be won, and more activities to the faire, in the future.

Unfortunately, the 145 ticket number will only be available to people who do their dailies every day, have time to raid (and get lucky, because the raid drop is not guaranteed), have time to grind through old dungeons, PVP a bunch, AND grind through the new heroics until they get lucky. I already play this game way too much, and I'm nowhere near the 145 ticket number for this week. The time investment to get even 90 tickets to get a pet in a single month is just way too high, much less to max out your monthly tickets.

Increasing the number of tickets from the dailies to the PTR rate would give people a reason to go to the Faire every day, allow people a reasonable way to acquire tickets (shouldn't you earn the majority of your tickets AT the Faire?), and still allow the more hardcore people to acquire items faster by grinding through dungeons, PVP, etc for the extra tickets.

Agreed wholeheartedly... allowing people who raid and pvp to get the stuff FASTER makes perfect sense... but at 1 ticket per daily, the common folk who play are going to be painfully cut out of the transmogs/pets/mounts from this faire...

Perhaps if it were made to where your rep with the Darkmoon Faire would actually reduce ticket costs??? Then as people did it, it would becomes easier and easier?? Or increase ticket rewards per daily as your rep gets higher?? Either of those seems to be a feasible path... keep it tough to begin with, but then easier and easier as you go... and include a DMF purchasable Tabard that add rep gain too!!!!
I wouldnt mind to get at least one mount per month (actually, I'd like it T_T) but hey, the darkmoon faire was never supposed to give easy rewards :P

About the once a month thing... I wouldnt mind either if its twice a month (first and third week of the month), but if it isnt possible, oh well. The only problem i see is what will happen first, if i get the mounts, or if i just get tired of them, forget about them and move on to other things in game :P
Edited by Taniara on 12/6/2011 2:56 PM PST
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
I agree the ticket rate is fine. I do find one problem though and that's the mechanic behind the dungeon drops. As it stands now, 4 of the 5 can be soloed in low level dungeons, so they are none issue. But the 5th one, the one that requires cata heroics only is very hard to obtain because it's BoE. The fact the item can be aquired unlimited times makes it highly saught after for profit. People who don't even want it or need it, are rolling on it, to sell it. So your chancse to get one are always 20%. Then you queue a new dungeon, 20 %, always 20%. you can spend all night trying to get a single item. If these were BoP it'd help get them to more people.
90 Night Elf Druid
Tickets Per Faire
Dungeon: 40
Heroic Dungeon: 15
Raid: 10
Tradeskill quests (primary): 8
Tradeskill quests (secondary): 12
BGs: 15
Kill Quest: 10
Mini Games*: 35

Total Tickets per faire: 145

* 5 mini games, available daily: 7*5=35

In addition, if you are crazy like some of us, you can do all the dailies before the reset sunday morning and grab 5 more tickets, bringing your weekly total to 150. =)
92 Human Paladin
Four months just to get a replica armor set so I can have a consistent unified look for a level 1 alt? Really?

...and there's another thing Blizzard advertised that I was looking forward to but now no longer care about.

I was looking forward to Cataclysm and playing Worgen... but then I found out that Blizzard gave the Worgen near non-existent world presence and shuffled them off to Darkshore to hunt for clam shells while Gilneas sits empty and the Horde get the conclusion to the Worgen starter zone.

I was looking forward to Mists of Pandaria... but then I found out Blizzard is kicking it off by shafting the Alliance yet again by burning down Theramore.

I was looking forward to transmogrification... but then I found out that one of the two armor sets I was most looking forward to using, the level 60 PVP set, was being restricted to people who shared their account or used drugs to stay awake and play 24/7 six years ago to earn a rank which Blizzard has already given away to newer players.

I was looking forward to the new Darkmoon Faire for the replica armor... and now I find out that I can only get ONE full set after obsessively playing it each time the DMF appears over the course of four months. A full year of this if I want three replica sets for three level 1 alts. And God forbid if I want a pet or a mount!

Really, I'm starting to get the feeling that Blizzard wants me to unsubscribe.
100 Gnome Mage
Hate pvp and do not do BGs. Dungeon drop rates are low and you are rolling against others. I also have a dozen alts.... not enough hours in the week!
85 Human Mage
As of yesterday it was possible to do the professions quest, drop your professions, level two new ones to 75 and do the quests for those, drop them for new ones, etc.

Is there actually a block in place to prevent people from doing that now, or are the totals that Bash put up there literal caps that will stop people from dropping professions and picking up new ones to farm tickets faster?
85 Troll Warrior
12/06/2011 02:51 PMPosted by Gulvak
IM USING MATH!

Who here loves that the OP keeps screaming math but won't post his formulas? Even after being slapped with a giant blue "YOU'RE WRONG" by Blizzard he continues to stand by his previous, incorrect statement.
90 Dwarf Warrior
Well, I just took your total of 145 per month... and factored that into all the available gear, pets, and loot, not counting the things THIS character can't equip...

And according to my poor man's rough calculator math, according to this... It will take me nearly 3 years to collect everything I could possibly get.

This is terribly disingenuous. You're counting multiple transmog sets and inflating the values. I really don't know if people are just upset they can't clear out the place in a month or what. However throwing around three years when it would be about 9 months to get all mounts/pets/and a transmog set is just lame.

While you're doing more "math" try to remember that the last week is only a week, not a month, so you really should round down.
15 Night Elf Druid
Here's the thing Bashiok....
I have no doubt the numbers you presented are correct, however....this was touted as alternative content. Alternative to dungeons/raids or PvP.
And now we learn it is not.
It's just the same old thing where you try to funnel people into dungeons or PvP. And then tell em it's fun.

My question is....what if you're not good at that? Seriously. What if you are terrible at both of those and simply cannot do it.
What's the monthly ticket total then? Yes...65.
So it would take 2 months (Or your more creative 2 Darkmoon Weeks) to get one pet or 3 to get a mount, let alone a gear set.
It begins to look like what it is....thin content that was overhyped and is now gated to the point of not even being worth it.

So where is the fun for fun's sake?
Why can't tickets be earned on the DMF Island (and only on the island) for what people want to buy?
Why is there a need to dungeons...raids...and BG's to get tickets?
Where is the harm in letting people grind for what they want...on their schedule, instead of gating the living heck out of the whole thing?

Edit: Oops..messed up a number. :D
Edited by Jangerwina on 12/6/2011 3:05 PM PST
85 Human Paladin
Blizzard really dropped the ball with transmog.

"Hey guys, you know how you wanted to be able to use current stats on old gear to customize your characters look? We're giving that to you!...except all the best looking stuff will either be annoyingly hard to get or won't be useable for transmog...have fun!"
85 Human Death Knight
12/06/2011 03:00 PMPosted by Tuwah
IM USING MATH!

Who here loves that the OP keeps screaming math but won't post his formulas? Even after being slapped with a giant blue "YOU'RE WRONG" by Blizzard he continues to stand by his previous, incorrect statement.

I posted two of my formulae.

The problem is many posters such as yourself do not bother to read let alone understand formulae of any kind.

Bashiok's post included rare drops, and tried to brush off 145 tickets as something everyone will get. It reminds me of when a certain ex-dev was bragging about how he believed 2/3rds of all wow players downed Nefarian in Vanilla, and the remaining 1/3rd was just too lazy to raid.

145 tickets while not impossible (I corrected my use of that word), remains statistically improbable and Bashiok shrugged it off as if it would be common to see everyone grinding out 145 tickets.

Now, let's for a moment pretend that 145 tickets is easy to get, and everyone will get 145 tickets a month:

It's 3 years - little over 37 months to acquire every single mount and pet in the game. It's 5 years to acquire at least 2 image copies of the dungeon set 1 and 2 in the game (appropriate to your class).

That's a 5 year plan.

World of Warcraft prided itself on making content a 1-2 year plan endeavor for the average player. They did this because Sony advertised to its shareholders that EverQuest was always thinking 3 years ahead, with its 2-3 year planned bottle neck.

Yet even the most camp intensive player is going to have to spend at least 3 years to get the mounts and pets.

This is an EverQuest style bottleneck, and I contend that either the rate of ticket acquisition or the cost of the items is not appropriate. Even if you get 145 a month, it's still not appropriate for the reward being offered.
100 Orc Warrior
Well, I just took your total of 145 per month... and factored that into all the available gear, pets, and loot, not counting the things THIS character can't equip...

And according to my poor man's rough calculator math, according to this... It will take me nearly 3 years to collect everything I could possibly get.

Um, what the hell are you buying for three years. Use alt to farm the tickets for their own gear. 6 pets are 540 tickets, 2 mounts are 360 tickets. Thats 900 tickets. Buying one set of armor is another 520 tickets. 1420 tickets is 10 months.
90 Worgen Warrior
I've done a lot of mount farming in my day , but four months to get two vendor mounts is too much. At very least, the faire drops from dungeons should be a higher droprate, or lootable for the entire party.
85 Human Warlock
12/06/2011 02:24 PMPosted by Michela
The original armor did not take me more than 2 months to complete.

From personal experience, completing any set in that time frame even while being part of a progression focused guild in two months to complete a set to me is being ahead of the curve and lucky you. I have gone complete expansions without completing a set due to loot RNG. It took me until the last few months of BC to finally complete my T4 set even though I was already sitting in t6 content. I have yet to complete any tier set as well this expansion and dont ever expect to.

12/06/2011 02:29 PMPosted by Kolgait
Yes it IS relevant. Blizzard just abused the fact that some sets can't be farmed anymore to make this overtuned system where it takes you FOUR MONTHS LOL to get your transmog gear.

This is a subscription based game, thinking Blizzard would just let you durp your way to all the transmog gear you want in a week and be done with it is quite foolish and would be even more foolish for Blizzard to let such content be gobbled up as fast.
Edited by Oniangel on 12/6/2011 3:12 PM PST
100 Orc Warrior
It's 3 years - little over 37 months to acquire every single mount and pet in the game. It's 5 years to acquire at least 2 image copies of the dungeon set 1 and 2 in the game (appropriate to your class).

Sorry you failed at math again. 1420 tickets for 6 pets, 2 mounts, one set of gear. You dont need both but throw a second set in and you have 3 more months. thats a 13 month plan.
How about if you're not level 85? The faire was supposed to be for everyone, but for a low level character, even the 250 kills for the 10 tickets is not easy. It will take several months to get the cheapest rewards, let alone any of the nicer stuff.

The faire was supposed to be for everyone. In events like Brewfest and Halloween, a low level character can get most of the fun stuff after only a few days of dailies. I love me my little barrel of ale.

But this Darkmoon Faire is not the same. From everything I can see, it's just like archeology. Everyone can take it, but without max level and great items (or flying speed), you're not getting anything out of it.
85 Troll Warrior
So, you have ONE character you play? That's all? Because your SUPERIOR MATH EQUATION OMG treats everyone like they all play on one character. My friend started playing last week and has two toons. Are you just that grossly incompetant that not only do you only have one toon but it's a....oh wait, no, you're posting on a DK. You have at least two toons. S T F U already.
Edited by Tuwah on 12/6/2011 3:14 PM PST
92 Human Paladin
Blizzard really dropped the ball with transmog.

"Hey guys, you know how you wanted to be able to use current stats on old gear to customize your characters look? We're giving that to you!...except all the best looking stuff will either be annoyingly hard to get or won't be useable for transmog...have fun!"

No kidding. I'm here waiting for months so I can use my level 60 PVP armor as my tank set, and then the moment the patch drops I run over and try to transmogrify it, only to find out that I couldn't for some reason. No word or warning beforehand. I thought it was bugged so I came here to see if anyone was talking about it only to find out that, no, it wasn't bugged. It was working as intended. Blizzard just never seemed to bother to tell anybody before the patch dropped.

And now I find out that I have to spend four months chasing after a single suit of replica armor? We're not talking about an ingame advantage here. We're not talking about something that affects achievements involving mounts or pets. It's just a nice little visual bonus I'd like for newly created level 1 alts so they can have consistent looks as I level them. It's not even something I'd stick with, as there're tier sets for pretty much every class which looks better than those replica suits. But I'm seriously expected to put in a years worth of grinding, in which I can't afford to miss a single day or a single drop whenever the Darkmoon Faire is in town, in order to just have the slight benefit of having three nice looking level one alts? And to do so I'd have to forget about getting real rewards from the fair, like mounts and pets? Yeah, that's not going to happen.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]