Darkmoon Faire Island items -- too costly p.2

12/06/2011 03:56 PMPosted by Gulvak
It's 3 years - little over 37 months to acquire every single mount and pet in the game. It's 5 years to acquire at least 2 image copies of the dungeon set 1 and 2 in the game (appropriate to your class).

Again you're straight up lying. Each transmog set is 520 and you can get around 120 a month.

Still, it doesn't change the fact that you could get other (read: higher level) sets for much less time. Hell, even T12 takes less time than that.
90 Dwarf Warrior
Just to clarify one point, the quest drops that happen in the dungeons/raids/BG’s happen all the time, even if the faire isn’t in town. Think of it sort of like the Darkmoon Card redemptions. You’re out playing all month, while you’re doing stuff you’re getting chances at the items, then when the faire is in town you turn it all in. (It’s also worth pointing out that the turn-in items aren’t soulbound, so just like the cards I’d expect some people to farm them just to put them up on the AH.)

Thats a huge difference. No one has any right to complain now.

I'd like to complain about the people who didn't realize this from the start.

12/06/2011 03:57 PMPosted by Krazykrazy
Still, it doesn't change the fact that you could get other (read: higher level) sets for much less time. Hell, even T12 takes less time than that.

And a Swift Palomino takes less time than the Swift Brew Fest ram, pointing out things like this isn't a point, an argument, or even thought. Blindly pointing to two different things with no context or qualifiers is pointless. What do you guys expect out of Darkmoon Faire? Very few people have said this. All I've heard is "make the repeatable quests give two tickets" which isn't something I'm really against. However the people screaming that things will take them decades are simply making things up so they get attention.
Edited by Gulvak on 12/6/2011 4:01 PM PST
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The grind wouldn't be too bad if the faire was always active even with the quest item turnins being once a month(would mean 5 tickets daily for a month until turnins are active again) but thats not the case.

Coming from someone who spent about 4 months total getting all the argent tournament mounts when it was new content this is by far worse. Argent tourny was always active and even if you stopped playing for a while and came back you could start where you left off on it no matter what time of the month. This is only the first full week of every month so if you stopped playing around then you're sol as you will not be able to buy anything or work towards something else that month.

Shouldn't take 3 months just to get both mounts and thats only if you turned in all the quest items and did every quest every reset, that is also 3 months to get 2 mounts and then there's the 7 pets all of which take about a month each to get and then there's also cosmetic gear which takes another several months to even get a full set. So overall if you want all the rewards you better be ready to do everything every reset for over a year to even have a chance of getting it all, if for whatever reason you take a break then there another several months you need to grind when you get back.

85 Dwarf Shaman
Just to clarify one point, the quest drops that happen in the dungeons/raids/BG’s happen all the time, even if the faire isn’t in town. Think of it sort of like the Darkmoon Card redemptions. You’re out playing all month, while you’re doing stuff you’re getting chances at the items, then when the faire is in town you turn it all in. (It’s also worth pointing out that the turn-in items aren’t soulbound, so just like the cards I’d expect some people to farm them just to put them up on the AH.)

It’s really just this first week and appearance of the faire that’s off because the Darkmoon Adventurer's Guide wasn’t available for the 3 weeks prior. When it rolls around next month there should be better feel for how the whole system and ticket acquisition rate feels.

THANK YOU for clarifying this. I had just been about to post a complaint about these item drops.

Before reading your post, I was feeling very disappointed that the DMF would force a PVP/dungeon grind for one week per month if I wanted to get any of the prizes. The quest items dropping during non-faire weeks should alleviate the grindy-ness considerably.
100 Night Elf Rogue
I don't see what's wrong with 4 months. Especially if you kept your old dungeons sets because, really, who wants to farm those again?
85 Night Elf Mage
I dislike the fact that I have to do things I don't want to (dungeons, BGs) to get the items I want.

I LOVED the change in Justice Points to a weekly cap so I can just raid and not feel that I am not optimizing my gear progression.

And since I just mentioned it, what I belive would be better for the Darkmoon fair is to have the same cap, but allow tickets to be aquired in different ways. To me, preferably thought dailies, be that profession or generic quests.
100 Gnome Death Knight
the DMF is better than the old one, but im 100% sure its not finished, the pavilions aren't complete, maybe blizzard was intending for more activities to spit out more tickets?
but then not realizing they didn't exist yet and STILL nerfed the ticket rewards...

Plus as icing on the cake, people who had done the original breadcrumb quest for the faire can't do the new one right now (as far as ive tried), WHICH GIVES YOU 5 TICKETS.

sigh, im thinking the faire was a bit rushed, at least transmog and void storage feel complete.

well can only hope blizzard realizes their mistake and buffs the tickets or lowers the cost of items, as it is now, people are going to abandon the faire WELL before even the world event patch. its not that the mini-games are boring, there enjoyable for a game that was never built with mini-games in mind. but recieving tickets for it especially when you get so few feels more like a minimum wage job, but having to save for a 30-room mansion...
90 Dwarf Warrior
12/06/2011 04:00 PMPosted by Wilhelm
Coming from someone who spent about 4 months total getting all the argent tournament mounts when it was new content this is by far worse.

I'm happy to see your tactical omission of collecting the the pets for your faction and the pets from the opposite faction. Completing Argent Tournament was easily more of a grind. Darkmoon Faire is simply space out more so people want to pretend the time between faires is part of the grind, when it simply isn't.
85 Human Death Knight

It’s really just this first week and appearance of the faire that’s off because the Darkmoon Adventurer's Guide wasn’t available for the 3 weeks prior. When it rolls around next month there should be better feel for how the whole system and ticket acquisition rate feels.

Well that may make things a "bit easier", I will admit.

However, I am still disappointed that the following system was not implemented:

"Dark Moon Fair Ticket Limit 145:
Quests and Turn Ins yield TOKENS.
You can turn Tokens in for Tickets.
You can do as many quests/turn ins as you want, but tokens remain in your bags and have a limit of 200.
You can turn in up to 145 Tokens for each month to get 145 tickets."

This would've actually been friendlier to people who can't farm raids, who can't farm dungeons, and who only want to do dailies.

And Bashiok, you are a nice person, you have been nice in this thread, but I do have to tell you flat out: It was promised to us from on high that Darkmoon Faire would be for those who appreciate the side game - i.e. people who don't want to sit there and farm scarlet monastery/stockades for 4 hours a day until they get their drop and would prefer to do dailies instead.

HAD you used the system I quoted above (which has been suggested by many people) the older darkmoon tickets could've been utilized for more than 1 silver each (or whatever their vendor value is now). That would've been a nice little present for them too.

I'm also going to be surprised if the average player can get 145 per month. I honestly don't think that's going to happen.
Edited by Elineé on 12/6/2011 4:07 PM PST
90 Dwarf Paladin
12/06/2011 02:27 PMPosted by Bashiok
If they were part of a progression path we'd definitely look at the acquisition rates and standardize them, but as they're show-off pieces the acquisition rate is usually gated a little higher so that the appeal and worth of showing them off remains high.

I'd really like to have this expanded on, as it's something I've touched on in both threads; why is it seen that aesthetic character growth has to be more punitive than stat/function-based character growth? I know that Blizzard has always taken an extremely hands-off role when it comes to the RP/vanity aspect of this game, but why is there a perception both within the community and from the developers that there should be a lower acquisition rate for people who want to customize how their character looks compared to those who simply want higher stats?
1 Dwarf Paladin
1 ticket per game sucks. Some of us use questing, dailies and trying to get pets/mounts/build tradeskills as the main part of the game. This patch had nothing other than the Faire for us. That's fine, I'm not complaining about that. But then, to make the Faire such a screw-job really sucked. I was really looking forward to this Faire revamp. Jokes on me. Again.
100 Worgen Druid
12/06/2011 02:30 PMPosted by Stalkyou
My only issue is the 40 per dungeon. If I'm not lucky enough to win the 4 things I need, I'm out the tickets.

You don't have to do cata dungeons. They drop from any dungeons as far as I know.
90 Dwarf Warrior
but why is there a perception both within the community and from the developers that there should be a lower acquisition rate for people who want to customize how their character looks compared to those who simply want higher stats?

Is there really? I mean there are the DMF replica sets and that's ... it.
90 Night Elf Druid
You point out part of the reason so many have an issue. As you just pointed out we already have/had countless number of grinds for pets and mounts. And some of you are fighting for things to stay that way? Why? And if you can do it without using "people just want stuff handed to them" or any of it's forms you get an extra point.

I can think of several reasons:
1) It is a MMO, and of all the MMO's I have played, WoW is the least grindy of them all.

2) It really is something to do outside of raids, BGs and dungeons. (Yes guys, you can buy the drops off of the AH, they are BoE for a reason) Besides, if you don't want to do anything stated above, then why do you even log onto the game? Sit around SW or Org for 6 hours? People are always complaining about "lack of content," well if you never do anything, lack of content is YOUR fault.

3) Kinda goes with 1, but there aren't many grinds in the game, so when one comes along I like it, because after those 3 or 4 or 12 months (whatever it may be) to get the set, or the mount, or the pet, it is going to feel great showing it off.

Also, make the faire fun instead of complaining. Record your high scores and when you go back to do the dailys the next day, try to beat them. Or maybe finish the daily faster than before. You would be surprised what a little enthusiasm can do.
90 Dwarf Warrior
Why can't you guys just add tradeskill and individual card turn-ins?

Does EVERYTHING have to be gated in order to milk the subscription fees?

what?
90 Night Elf Druid
And Bashiok, you are a nice person, you have been nice in this thread, but I do have to tell you flat out: It was promised to us from on high that Darkmoon Faire would be for those who appreciate the side game - i.e. people who don't want to sit there and farm scarlet monastery/stockades for 4 hours a day until they get their drop and would prefer to do dailies instead.

Ok, stop posting.

I farmed two of the four dungeon drops from SM in less than 20 minutes. If it honestly takes you 4 hours to farm those things, you are doing it so wrong that you are beyond help regardless of what blizzard does.
100 Human Priest
Thanks everyone for your feedback. To hopefully clear up some of the confusion over time investment vs reward costs we've broken down exactly how many tickets you can obtain in a single Darkmoon Faire week. The design intent of the Darkmoon Faire is that it’s available for one week out of the month, and in that one week we expect you to be able to obtain a significant amount of tickets. To clarify the OP’s point of how long it would take to obtain an entire set of cosmetic gear, the math presented was incorrect, and it would in fact only take 4 Darkmoon Faire weeks to complete an entire set. That’s of course still no quick task, and the intent is not for it to be. There are plenty of rewards that can be obtained in one or two weeks of the Darkmoon Faire, but we expect that an entire set will take a few events to obtain.

Here’s the breakdown:

Tickets Per Faire
    Dungeon: 40
    Heroic Dungeon: 15
    Raid: 10
    Tradeskill quests (primary): 8
    Tradeskill quests (secondary): 12
    BGs: 15
    Kill Quest: 10
    Mini Games*: 35

Total Tickets per faire: 145

* 5 mini games, available daily: 7*5=35

As an example, here are some options that you can choose over the course of two Darkmoon Faires (2 weeks over 2 months):

• Prioritizing mounts/pets: 1 mount + 1 pet, with 20 tickets to spare
  • Prioritizing pets: 3 pets, 20 tickets to spare
  • Prioritizing cosmetic armor: 4 pieces of cosmetic armor, with 30 tickets to spare
  • Prioritizing heirloom armor: 1 piece of heirloom armor + 1 heirloom weapon, with 20 tickets to spare
  • Keeping all of this in mind we don’t feel the current ticket acquisition rates or reward costs are out of hand, but we’re interested to hear your thoughts after reading this information and considering the longevity of the content, as well as the ‘once a month’ format of the faire. We’ll be continually evaluating it, and we’re looking forward to incorporating more goodies to be won, and more activities to the faire, in the future.

When the faire was once a month before it was on the isle, wasn't there where Repeatable Quests, which means you can do them over and over on one day??

and now there are just Dailies and hope to god you get an item on a BG, Dungeon, or Raid?

What if you guys made it 2 times a month. first and third week every month. Just a Suggestion
    90 Gnome Mage
    I'm actually more annoyed at the misleading information in the patch notes, which states the Faire would be useful for profession recipes and titles, of which there are none.
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]