[Guide] How to Transmogrify

90 Troll Shaman
Now available in video! http://youtu.be/c7lgwxDjNIo
And on wowhead! http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1564/how-to-transmogrify-and-what-you-can-and-cannot-do

Transmogrification, also known as transmog, mogging, or xmog (but not transmorg), is a fairly simple process.

Firstly, transmogrification and void storage are not related to one another. Quite a few players have gotten the idea that items must be contained in your void storage space to be mogged, but this is counterproductive. In order to mog an item, you must have both the item whose appearance you're using, and the item whose appearance you're changing with you. If you place an item you want to mog in your void storage, you have merely wasted your deposit fee.

The interface itself is straight-forward. Upon speaking to the etheral transmogrifier (located in Orgrimmar, Stormwind, and both Shrines in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms; city guards can mark your map) a window will open showing your character and several equipment slots. The image of your character is a preview of what your gear will look once mogged, and the equipment slots are where you place the items whose appearances you're going to use. You can only alter the appearance of your currently equipped gear, so make sure that you are wearing the gear you want to change before talking to the etheral.

Once the window is open, simply drag and drop the items whose appearances you want to use into the corresponding slots. This means, yes, you must actually possess the item whose appearance you want to use. Continue until you are satisfied with the result, and then confirm your selections. You will be charged an amount of gold based on the vendor value of the items you are altering, to a minimum of 1g per item. Be warned, items used for transmogrification will be made soulbound, untradeable, and non-refundable by finalizing the process.

If you change your mind, the process can be reverted for free by going back to the transmogrifier with the item equipped, and clicking on the item's box in the mogging window so a yellow arrow appears. Alternatively, it can simply be transmogrified again into another item.

Simple, eh? However, there are some restrictions to keep in mind when heading down to your neighborhood mogger.

• You must meet all requirements to normally equip an item before you can use its appearance for xmog. This includes level, class, reputation, and profession skill requirements.
  • Armor types must match. Plate armor can only take on the appearance of another piece of plate armor, mail armor can only take on the appearance of other mail armor, and so forth. This is to maintain a degree of visual distinction among classes.
  • Legendary items are not permitted to be mogged to or from. This is to maintain the uniqueness of these rare items.
  • Only items with stats beyond weapon damage, armor, and proc/on use effects are eligible for transmogrification.
  • Certain items are excluded from xmog on the basis of being inappropriately silly. This is to maintain a degree of dignity in the aesthetic of the game. These items are not marked in any way, but you will receive an error message when attempting to mog them.
  • Heirlooms may have their appearances changed through xmog, but cannot be used for their appearances, and will lose their mogged appearances when sent through the mail.

With all of that out of the way, go forth and be fashionable! And whatever you do, don't listen to your stuffed tiger no matter how bad an idea he says this is.

Updates are in bold:

Patch 4.3
  • Fixed a bug which caused heirlooms not to lose their xmog when sent through the mail.

Patch 5.2
  • Weapons may be mogged with similar weapons. The compatible types are: (1h sword, axe, mace), (2h sword, axe, mace), (polearm, staff), and (bow, gun, crossbow). Daggers, fists, wands, shields, and off-hands can only be mogged with items of the same type, and you still must be able to equip both weapons normally.
  • Level 60 Warlord and Marshal's PvP gear is ineligible for mogging in order to recognize the Vanilla PvP ranking system. Players with rank 7 or higher from Vanilla or rated battlegrounds may purchase eligible replicas from vendors in Area 52, Netherstorm.
  • One-handed weapons cannot take on the appearance of off-hand restricted items. This is because some off-hand weapons have models that are designed specifically for one hand or the other. However, off-hand weapons are allowed to use the appearances of one-handed weapons. Many Main Hand weapons have been converted to one-handed weapons in an undocumented change.*

* Some former MH weapons are bugged and still recognized by the transmogrifier as Main Hands. A workaround has been found: mog the former MH weapon with your 1h weapon, and then try mogging the 1h with the former MH again.
Edited by Sharkon on 3/11/2013 12:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I think this may be the first guide posted in a very long time about which I haven't been able to find anything to nitpick. Well done.

EDIT: Though, I would personally remove the second comma in the next-to-last sentence of the second paragraph, just for readability. :P
Edited by Rynok on 12/7/2011 2:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I have a nitpick. :D

You should use the list/list item forum codes for your list. For instance:

• List item 1
  • List item 2
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Pfft, picky, picky humans. :P
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I be havin' troll nitpick stew tonight, mon!
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
-waves a spoon, and mumbles something incoherent around a mouthful of stew-
Reply Quote
28 Dwarf Shaman
This is great! Thanks.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Adding this to the New Player Guide Listing. Great post!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Seriously.... this is a poor implementation now. I would love to have my rift stalker set from BC, BUT that crap has been "Deleted" eleventeen years ago. Blizzard should come up with an armor token that we can purchase for the set we want, and can give to the tranny dudes to morph armor, cause i would have to re-run Kara 80 times to get the rift staler tokens i want. Thought blizz was making it easier to play wow, guess i r incorrect.

Rift Stalker drops from SSC and the Eye, not Kara. There's always grinding out the honor for the corresponding PvP set, if that's more to your taste. It's identical except for the color palette.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Best to not feed the trolls. :)
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
nice post Sharkon
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/07/2011 02:37 PMPosted by Sharkon
Certain items are excluded from transmogrification on the basis of being inappropriate for combat, usually due to silliness. This is to maintain a degree of dignity in the aesthetic of the game

you have gnomes/goblins in this game as playable races and several quests involving outhouses. dignity left long ago.
Reply Quote
20 Human Warlock
Vote for sticky!!
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Death Knight
I would not lose that second comma; I would transmorgrify it to a semicolon.
Reply Quote
20 Human Mage
Bumping for stickying
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Yea this needs to be a sticky, thanks for the help
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Totally shoulda read this sooner :) Hehe.

I like, that you like, totally made it so I can understand it, and stuff....I totally paid for void storage a threw a couple things in for #^&(% and giggles before I looked it up and read it.

That's right...cuz I'm smooth like that.

There's totally an in game feature that when I push the button it kicks me and my toon just does it....eh?.....No hehe oh thank goodness, not that easy yet :D

I'm on Boulderfist all week >.< fair warning <3

Reply Quote
70 Gnome Rogue
Good stuff here, well done Mr.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]